ABW Ambassador
    Bryan,
    I'd like to comment on something I've noticed on the SAS site, as well as had affiliates contact me about. Even though SAS has categories set up, it seems there is no real order to them. Is there a way to straighten this out? Here is what I mean (just one quote to me from an affiliate)

quote:
    Also I found it rather sad that in order to sign up with you on shareasale, I had to scroll past offers for fart putty gags, free toilet paper, etc (in the web services category!?!?)

I've heard this from several affiliates that have joined my program through SAS and not through our website.

SAS is a growing network, and I'd like to take advantage of its affiliate base, but those affiliates need to find us there [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

I agree with Tom there (it's the only thing I don't like about shareasale). Spare a thought for those still using dial-up (like myself), when I take a look at a category it takes forever to load.

It would be nice if categories were either more precise or only showed 10 programs per page.

Defender of Truth, Justice and the Affiliate Way
    I also agree. Merchants seem to be able to basically spam the categories. You have scroll through many that are not relevant to that area, and they pop up in many catergories. I have cable connection, and it still takes awhile for some pages to load. Some of the graphics used by merchats are way too big.

I had to search real hard for you Tom, but I found you. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

ABW Ambassador
    quote:
    I had to search real hard for you Tom, but I found you.

And it is greatly appreciated...

One thing I was thinking about (and I am guilty of this also) is all of us merchants put our entire program details on there. When somebody searches a category, the user has to sift through all that to see what's there...One suggestion for SAS is allow a logo and a description of a program that is limited to a certain number of characters. Then, place the merchant details on a second page...I don't know how difficult it would be to implement something like this, but its food for thought [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

"Merchants seem to be able to basically spam the categories."

If I'm not mistaken, Merchants are allowed to post their affiliate programs in three categories. The problem is that there's usually only one or two categories that are actually related to the Merchant. Of course the merchant wants maximum exposure, so what they end up doing is posting their program in categories that aren't very relevent.

IMO, ShareASale has grown enough now that it could use subcategories to further organize the directory. It would provide more relevence to the results, and reduce the amount of merchants in one category.

--------------------

"Then, place the merchant details on a second page"

They do.

In fact, they have 2 of these. One with cookie info, earnings ratings, etc.. The other with the terms & conditions. The problem with these is that they aren't easily accessable, and many affiliates ignore them.

I completely agree that SAS needs to limit the size of merchant descriptions and images -along with the number of merchants displayed at a time.

-Joey

PS- Make a free stuff category! :rolleyes:

ABW Ambassador
    Apparently they also allow some merchants to say they pay 5 cent per lead when they only pay 1 cent per lead. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

ShareASale President/CEO and ABW Veteran Brian - ShareASale's Avatar
    All very good suggestions folks, and you are right, we should address the categories issue as the number of merchants has grown to the point where re-organization is needed....ill put it on my list of things to do...thanks for bringing it to my attention.

ABW Ambassador
    As someone who is fairly new to promoting Shareasale merchants, I would like to add my begging and pleading that this clean-up be done.

It really is a bit nightmarish trying to find new merchants. eek.

OK...

so it has made it to the top of the list...reorganizing the categories is what I am going to do all week, until it is satisfactory again.

what i want to present to you is a semi-opportunity of sorts, to tell me what you would like to see the most in this. If i dont hear anything, that is fine, and i will re-organize with what i see is best, but i want to offer you all the opportunity to help out. such as, which ways do you like to search, keywords, categories, generic categories such as ppl, pps, ppc...are there categories that are missing that you would like to see...etc...

any and all input will be considered this week as i do the re-org..so don't let anybody ever tell you that you didn't have a chance to put in your two cents about how it is organized. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

ABW Ambassador
    I'll bring more notes later, but off the top of my head, I'd LOVE a way to filter out PPC and PPL. I only want PPS merchants and tripping through the others is a bit of a pain.

ABW Ambassador
    wow, that was fast -- no more PPC and PPL in my list and it's broken into reasonable size chunks. Kudos!

After spending some time reviewing the categories, I think the number one suggestion I can make is: Allow merchants to select ONE category. Just one. That's it. No more. Not two, not three, JUST ONE.

They can put whatever they want in their description so the they come up on searches, but they get ONE SHOT at their primary category. No matter how many categories/sub-categories you develop, the directory is going to be junked up as long as merchants aren't forced to pick THE ONE most appropriate category.

And you police that merchant's ONE choice heavily -- so LOTTO merchants end up in GAMING, not in GIFTS or WEB or ACCESSORIES... etc, etc.

If merchants were held to that ONE choice, I don't think you'd need that many additional categories/sub-categories.
    I haven't looked at all the categories, but the only places I see real need to subdivide is WEB and RECREATION.

RECREATION
    - GAMING (gamblings, lotto, sweeps, contests -- not "games/toys")
    - DATING
    - FREE STUFF

WEB
    - Web Hosts
    - Search Engines/Directories
    - Webmaster Tools (scripts, tracking, sysadmin)
    - Domain Name Services
    - Auctions

I know "categorization" can be really tough, but as it stands right now? I click on a category, see the merchants and wonder what the heck category I clicked on... almost every time. If the merchants only had one choice, they'd make it a good one.

Thanks for offering us the chance to voice our opinions. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

Umm, categories? We've only got one category.

Yes, we have changed the way categories worked, only allowing one choice... new merchants are able to choose one category, and existing merchants are being changed down to one of their choices (this process takes a little longer) ...

Thanks,

-Brian Littleton
    -Owner/Operator Shareasale.com
    brian@shareasale.com

14. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread