I am a new merchant trying to test out the system to make sure the tracking code is placed correctly on my site. I can click through to my site fine, however, I am using PayPal as my purchasing tool. I get an error on PayPal because they don't allow me to send a payment to myself. Is there another way I can test the system on my site?

I also had another question (less important) about the field in the tracking code called TRACKINGNUMBER. Is there a way I can integrate this with PayPal somehow (i.e. the tracking number would be the same as PayPal's assigned order number.)

Thank you.

Alexandra

ShareASale President/CEO and ABW Veteran Brian - ShareASale's Avatar
    Alexandra,

In order to integrate with PAYPAL, you need to use the IPN (Instant Payment Notification) system that paypal allows you to use to send variables and details about the order, back to your site to be used on your own end. Have you tried setting up your site for IPN, or is this just a static page that you setup?

Thanks,

-Brian Littleton
    -Owner/Operator Shareasale.com
    brian@shareasale.com

ShareASale President/CEO and ABW Veteran Brian - ShareASale's Avatar
    Thanks to Chet from FineClicks.com for adding this tidbit as well...

quote:
    You may want to relay that PayPal allows you to have one Business account and one personal account. So you can use the personal account as the buyer account and the business account for the seller account for testing purposes.

Thanks,

-Brian Littleton
    -Owner/Operator Shareasale.com
    brian@shareasale.com

I set up a static thank you page at first, but I'm looking into setting up the IPN now. It seems a little complicated, but I'm working on figuring it out.

I'm guessing that I have to use IPN in order for the tracking to work with PayPal?

I had placed ShareASale's tracking code just on the thank you page, but I think this may not be right.

Thank you very much for the help and for responsing so quickly.

Alexandra

[This message was edited by Alexanera on November 07, 2002 at 04:25 PM.]

I've set up the IPN with PayPal however I have a few quick questions...

On which page do I place ShareASale's tracking code? (Right now I have it placed in the thank you page.)

On which page do I place the IPN code? I'm confused about whether this code is placed on the order page, the thank you page, or on a whole new page itself.

Again, thank you immensely for any help. I'm eager to get my merchant account up and running as soon as possible.

Alexandra

6. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread