I don't think shareasale has their own board for merchants, and I could not get Brian on the phone so I will post here. I just got a fraud order for my shareasale 1800prologo.com affiliate program through the following person -

-----
    HAKAN AYAYDIN signed up for your affiliate program.
    UserID: 63498
    Shareasale.com Membership Level: Limited
    Country Mailing Address: Turkey
    Participating in Contest: No
    -----

They signed up and attempted the fraud in a very close time span. I have a per sale affiliate program for our logo design business so I notice every time I get an order (I wish I had more orders through affiliates :-) )

I am sure there are merchants who look at this board and might not pay as close attention to who buys/clicks what so I thought I would post. I actually went in and deleted all of the affiliates who had signed up with me who are from countries I don't see as being worth my risk (read - Turkey, Croatia, Ukraine, etc).

Brad
    http://www.1800prologo.com
    $30 payouts to affiliates for orders

ABW Ambassador
    quote:
    I actually went in and deleted all of the affiliates who had signed up with me who are from countries I don't see as being worth my risk (read - Turkey, Croatia, Ukraine, etc).

Quite right too. Obviously, all Turks, Croats, Ukrainians are crooks and should be restricted from doing business online. God forbid that you expend any effort to sort the fraudulent from the legitimate at your end. It's lucky there are no fraudsters in the USA, isn't it, otherwise you really would have problems.

Search Engine Positioning - 1 Design 4 Life

markymark, I think you are being a little unfair here.

I have other online businesses that I definitely market to people all over the world, but our logo design business is really just focused at American companies. I am not saying that ALL people from these countries cause problems, that is silly, it is only a few people that ruin it for everyone. What I am saying is that my risk/reward dictates that it is just not worth it for me to allow sites from outside the US to market for me (spam, fraud, etc. versus the number of orders I will get through them). I am not the only person in the US that believes this. Take a look at some of the web hosting forums and you will see that there are companies who block all ip addresses that come from certain countries or ISP providers (Ukraine, Korea, China, all of t-dialin.net) that have a history of hackers.

There are definitely fraudsters in the US. The only difference is it is a heck of a lot easier to take the fraud order, or security log from the web server, find the ISP that owns that ip address, and complain to someone who will listen in the US. It is a lot easier to find and punish an American doing a crime against another American versus someone outside of the United States.

I guess what I am saying is offensive, and I am sorry. I am basing my decision on web hosting forums and the fact that I look at my web access and attack logs each day and 99% of them come from outside of the US. Knowing that 0% of my business comes from outside of the US, what would you do in my situation?

Brad
    $30 payouts to affiliates for orders

ABW Ambassador
    Brad,

You are right. I was being unfair. And in your position I would probably do exactly what you have done. Trouble is - and I am by no means accusing you of this personally - is that this kind of block ban gets a little too close to racism for my liking. The implication is often: Johnny Foreigner is not to be trusted.

I do read webhostingtalk and really it is some of the attitudes on that forum that my post was aimed at.

Search Engine Positioning - 1 Design 4 Life

Hmm that's why I only accept affiliates from USA and Canada. I have noticed that countrys like what you have specified Turkey, Croatia, Ukraine sales and traffic has converted worthless. Not to offend anyone from those countrys but most of the services and products we offer will only ship to the USA and we are familar with.

Jason

Jason

Santa Cruz, CA 95060

Although I am British and my site is registered in the UK, I actually reside in Russia (have done for 10 years). Most of my visitors come from the USA (70%) and the biggest percentage of the remainder from the UK. Unfortunately, having an address in Russia is something of a handicap for the reasons indicated in some of the earlier postings.

I agree that caution should be used when dealing with some of these type of countries and fully understand the potential problems (which is why I don't actively encourage locals to visit the main part of my site. I have a special area for them!).

Sadly, I receive the occasional rejection (not too many) from sites who are obviously worried about my location. This is a pity for me and for the sites that reject me, because most of my business comes from the country where they are usually based.

I realize that my situation is somewhat unusual, but is there any way a Merchant can consider making exceptions for sites like mine? Sometimes I write to sites that take this stance and try to explain my situation. Many have reversed their decision, but a larger number fail to see the point or make no reply at all.

Any suggestions? Apart from telling me to live in a more normal country!

No reason to put Russia down, my office is actually in Slovakia (but I am in the US 99% of the time). If I were you, I would just use a UK address for anything like this. Not worth the hassle of trying to convince people that you are really from the UK but just living in Russia. I think a lot of people would be skeptical enough even to deny you after you write them (even though you sound very sincere, I think some people still wouldn't agree to accept you).

Professional logo design company

IT's very difficult to write something about this as I'm also from Turkey but all I want to say that it is not fair to restrict all of these countries from doing business online. Not all of us are trying to cheat. We also have the same problem about some other countries. For example, I have an advertising releated site and usually 80% of fake accounts and cheaters are coming from Chine. But I never think to restrict Chines from my site. As you get more experinenced you learn who is honest and who is not. Do not accept sites that doesn't look professional from these countries including mine. And keep in mind that there are a lot of webmasters from these countries who have traffic from mainly western countries and are doing their job for years. What I learn in these years that it is the most difficult thing to find a good sponsor to your site (specially if you live in one of these countries) and İf you find one NEVER and NEVER cheat. By the way, I will post this guy's name to the turkish forums I know because they are harming us as well as you.

9. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread