Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Obviously you think Shareasale is a pretty darned good affiliate network... why else would you be here?

My question... Who's the second runner up? Who else do you think offers a great affiliate network?

I'm researching affiliate networks for my business UrbanScooters.com. We're currently considering; ClickXchange, ClixGalore, DirectLeads, FineClicks and Shareasale. I'd love to hear your pro's, con's, personal experience and rumors about these (and other good) affiliate networks.

LinkShare, CJ and BeFree are out of our price range because as web businesses go... we're young whippersnappers.

What do you think? Inquiring minds want to know.

Thanks,

Frankodelic
    UrbanScooters.com

If you don't have the funding for the big 3 then Shareasale is your best bet. If I was going to start an affiliate program myself I wouldn't even touch those other networks.

-----------------------------------------------------------
    Website Tools | Webmaster Resources | Website Articles

I would go with Shareasale:0) there the most reliable and most affordable.

Jason

Jason

Santa Cruz, CA 95060

ShareASale President/CEO and ABW Veteran Brian - ShareASale's Avatar
    Im not sure I am as much help on this thread as everyone else is, because they all have a lot more experience using and managing programs on all of the other networks, and with ours as well...

If you have specific questions that you need answered about shareasale.com, features, etc.. just let me know either here or by email at brian@shareasale.com and ill be happy to answer them...

My personal opinion though jives with the other forum... i think you would be happy at either shareasale or fineclicks, Chet runs an excellent and respected network... (and we think we do too.) [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

outside of that... I can't give advice on any other program though, as i haven't dealt directly with enough affiliates or merchants to get an accurate opinion.

Thanks,

-Brian Littleton
    -Owner/Operator Shareasale.com
    brian@shareasale.com

UrbanScooters.com I would recommend Shareasale. We are a merchant there and have no complaints. Their small now but I predict they will be bigger than CJ. BTW CJ left a bad taste in my mouth. They approved me - then a few days later they un-approved me. They said it was human error. Yeh! Right! A company hands you over 5k$ and talks to you for 5 days and it was human error. IMO their changing for the worst. Anyway, go with shareasale.Good Luck!

Darlene Goldberg
    Affiliate Manager
    www.1lingeriestore.com
    (800)206-7230
    darlene@webc1.com
    www.1lingeriestore.com/affiliates.htm

Outsourced Program Manager Chris -  AMWSO's Avatar
    Share a sale For sure, we recommend them to all our clients who don't want or can't afford to go with LinkShare.

Cheers

Chris

Chris Sanderson
    Mondera.com Partner Management
    90 Return Days : 100% Parasite Free : Fast Support : Commission on ALL Sales.

Visit the Mondera Partner Support Zone : Click Here

quote:
    Originally posted by UrbanScooters.com:
    Obviously you think Shareasale is a pretty darned good affiliate network... why else would you be here?

My question... Who's the second runner up? Who else do you think offers a great affiliate network?

I'm researching affiliate networks for my business http://urbanscooters.com. We're currently considering; ClickXchange, ClixGalore, DirectLeads, FineClicks and Shareasale. I'd love to hear your pro's, con's, personal experience and rumors about these (and other good) affiliate networks.

LinkShare, CJ and BeFree are out of our price range because as web businesses go... we're young whippersnappers.

What do you think? Inquiring minds want to know.

Thanks,

Frankodelic
    UrbanScooters.com

DirectLeads??

LOLOLOL

You are kidding, right?

Are they still in business??

Dear Urban Scooter!

I just checked out your website. Nice!

I guess no one else here went to it because they would have given you the big list on WHY they wont run your offer and how you are trying to rip them off... well, here goes:

1. You have a toll free number! You must be trying to rip off affiliates. We all know you don't have a toll free number for customer service reasons.

2. Youll have to remove the tell a friend link unless you have it where it tracks and credits the original affiliate. Otherwise, you dont REALLY want to tell a friend do you? It's gonna cost you.

3. Join Our Mailing List link. Oh no, 75% of affiliates here won't run it (there goes 4% of your sales) You must be a spammer because you are trying to harvest email information and you probably don't compensate affiliates for that do you??

4. Employment Link. You will HAVE to remove that unless the affiliates get paid for finding you an employee. On the other hand, you can always partner up with JobsOnline.com to find workforce and that'll take care of that AND your spam issues. They love spam.

5. Money Back Guarantee. Youll HAVE to remove that because once I make you a sale, I don't give refunds.

6. The Customer Service and Contact Us links need to go. Affiliates here will NOT allow you to have ANY contact with your own customers, no matter what. NO way. No how. You may cheat them out of a 2% commission ($2.35) We know that merchants only have customer service links to CHEAT THE AFFILIATE!!!!

7. Free Shipping? Oh great, something else I won't get paid for. No thanks...

Well, the good news here is that you AREN'T located in scam-alley, which is florida because we ALL know that ANY company located in Florida is definitely perpetrating a scam> Although anyone here that is in Florida and is pals with someone is OK, but if not...

Come to think of it, why is it that affiliates wait until AFTER you paid a network to join before they tell you they won't run you??

You can thank me now for saving you a bunch of money [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

LOLOL

[This message was edited by Minnie Mouse on October 17, 2002 at 09:03 AM.]

UrbanScooters...

Minnie Mouse "hits" on some important issues, but I don't think it is nearly as bad as it sounded.

For example...

1. there are ways to track telephone sales if necessary.

3. THe mailing list issue can be taken care of with a longer "Tracking Gap" cookie...which means if the person ends up purchasing a scooter somewhere down the road, after being mailed by your mailing list, which is by the way not Spam when they requested to be mailed. ?? ... anyhow, the original affiliate still gets credit and the affiliate is now happy that you have the mailing list instead of upset about it.

7. Free Shipping... this will increase the likelyhood of a sale, and should be something that affiliates appreciate, not get upset over. Most merchants, and by most i mean MOST do not pay commission on shipping charges and tax. The affiliate is paid on a percentage of the goods sold and that is pretty normal. We want you to stay in business because we like selling your products, knowwadimean?

However, you can increase the likelyhood of affiliates picking up the offers if you show them that you are committed to the conversion of their clicks....

Some merchants have had success with this by creating seperate sections of their sites....for example, while a regular visitor may come to UrbanScooters.com, and see all of the very good marketing tools such as TellaFriend, mailing lists, 800 numbers, etc.... Maybe when the visitor comes from an affiliate, they are taken to a seperate page, one that concentrates only on selling the product right there....Depending on how long you have been doing this, this may sound simple or confusing...and I invite you to give me a call to discuss it, we can help with everything that you want or need to do.

And on point 5, I think is just incorrect. In the affiliate business, just like in real business...returns are a part of life. You have the opportunity to void commissions that are returned. The route to a profitable affiliate system is showing through time that your products 1. Sell 2. Customers like them so they won't return them (all) 3. You are committed to making their clicks turn into sales as much as possible.

Thats all any affiliate can really ask of a merchant, in my opinion.

Thanks,

-Brian Littleton
    brian@shareasale.com

Domain Addict / Formerly known as elbowcreek Thomas A. Rice's Avatar
    I disagree with 5, 6 and 7, there. I think it's okay to have customer service numbers if they are not displayed on your banners, or at the top of your home page.

There are times when a customer needs to speak with someone, just for reassurance that what they are getting is correct, and also that there is an actual, legitimate company on the other side of the transaction.

On one site that I have, it is not uncommon for the larger purchases to involve an e-mail, with the occaisional phone call, at their request.

The actual purchase, however, still flows through online, it's more of a question of just holding their hand through the purchase process.

I know that it has been suggested here, though, that if you have a contact button, when pressed, it should pop up your phone number along with the affiliate id as a'sales code' or some such, just to help with tracking.

I Will FOCUS On My Goal

Eeeeks, No doubt that Big Ass Toll Free Number has to go hide somewhere. It's nice that it's not on all of the pages but Wayyyyyyyy tooooo Biggggg for my taste in an affilate program. If you can do what Brian suggested about adding the affiliate link in the number then its no problem. Other than that I don't have any problems and the site is looking good. Free Shipping will help produce a lot of sales BTW.

Has your program started up at Share a Sale yet Frank. It's that time of the season! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] IMO SAS should be your choice. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

QUOTE:
    for example, while a regular visitor may come to UrbanScooters.com, and see all of the very good marketing tools such as TellaFriend, mailing lists, 800 numbers, etc.... Maybe when the visitor comes from an affiliate, they are taken to a seperate page, one that concentrates only on selling the product right there
    END

My point exactly...
    affiliates KNOW those things are part of a good site, so where do they get off DEMANDING that merchants remove it? Why is a merchant a crook when he has these basic things on a website?

Am I correct in saying that affiliates get paid for a percentage of sales and NOT for a tellafriend, not for newsletter signups??

In this case, it is obvious that this is a real merchant, not a harvester.

Any affiliate that is a real business person will understand that undermining a merchant from the get go wont benefit anyone.

If you are a salesperson at a car dealership, do you whine everytime they run an ad on TV with out your name on it? Do you complain that they have a website without your name on it?
    Do you get irked when someone tells their friends?

People forget that an internet store, albeit different, needs to have the same principals of a brick and mortar.

Many affiliates here are very paranoid, so dont let that scare you into changing your entire website around just to appease a few.

I'd definitely ask to see some of the affiliates sales numbers before you start trying to accomodate them, it may not be worth your time [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

I find it funny all the affiliates here that say "I won't run your offer until you change this and that" and these are affiliates that won't even make in a YEAR what it can cost to make these changes, not to mention the potential loss of sales.

Also, seems to me that sales will simply convert better without ALL the changes, as an affiliate, I'd prefer to have every chance of converting.

Personally, I think it is more productive to work and make money, than to spend a great deal of time making demands on merchants.

I wanted to add, without sounding sarcastic, that it is often the people that AREN'T making any money that make the most demands.
    [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img]

Is anybody else confused?

I suppose we are to know that Minnie Mouse, your first post was sarcastic??

Thanks,

-Brian Littleton
    brian@shareasale.com

Minnie Mouse,

If any of that is directed to me, let me clear up my opinion.

I am looking forward to giving Urban Scooters a shot. I like the looks of the site also. Easy to navigate is what I like about it the most. Plus Frank seems like he will be a decent guy to deal with. I also like the fact that they have decided to go with SharaSale. Brian has been great at taking the time to answer questions that I have had.

As for the toll free number. It's not about it being a customer service number. It's about it being the biggest text on the page and reads "Order Now Toll Free". Thats the only thing I personally don't like.

As for
    quote:
    I wanted to add, without sounding sarcastic, that it is often the people that AREN'T making any money that make the most demands.

Lol, no one even said anything about the site in this thread until you did and everything I have read has been very constructive and not demmanding. But if course that is JMO! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Sorry, my comments weren't directed towards anyone specific at all. Just the general feeling I get when reading thru all the posts [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

Hey... this post has taken on a whole new life. Very cool. Hey there Minnie... give us a kiss [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif[/img]

We're relatively new to the concept of affiliate marketing and haven't yet developed our "evil master plan" to rip off affiliates.

Heck, at this point we're just trying to figure the whole "affiliate marketing" thing out.

All sarcasm aside, my background is in Sales. Taking the shaft on commission due is something I've lived with and I do know the pain. I would be livid if some website hosed my hard earned commission!

That said, UrbanScooters.com will not be screwing affiliates out of their commissions. Hell, if anyone sends business our way we plan on ponying up the proper amount of commission, so they'll do it again... and again... and again!

We would hope not to compromise our basic marketing strategies, ie. toll-free order line, Tell A Friend, and Mailing List. We would prefer to track these sales and pass the commission from them to affiliates. However, if this becomes problematic perhaps we will create a mirror site with these marketing features excluded.

It will certainly be a learning process. We plan on joining Shareasale within one weeks time. Primarly due to the positive feedback on ABW. See you all there!

Oh yeah... the titanic 800#... we'll trim that baby down to size... ha.

Thanks for your input,

Frank
    UrbanScooters.com

Warning--- [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] = Joking [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Frank,

quote:
    We're relatively new to the concept of affiliate marketing and haven't yet developed our "evil master plan" to rip off affiliates.

Give it time, experience will come. Just keep working hard at it. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] See Warning =

quote:
    Oh yeah... the titanic 800#... we'll trim that baby down to size... ha.

Thats nice to hear, I had a hard time seeing the scooters it is soo big. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] Once again see warning. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

On a serious note I'll keep looking for your program. Scooters are just starting to move for me again it looks like. If I miss the grand opening Frank, Page me or something, lol. BTW, good luck with your venture! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Minnie, it is pretty ugly out there. Thats why I come to SAS. It's the only place that seems to be quiet lately. Shhhh, don't tell the others. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

Minnie Mouse your kidding right!
    If I was to take out our toll free number, contact info, tell-a friend etc. We would be out of business. Would you order from a company without a toll free number or a way of contacting them? I agree with what Brian says exactly. Especially about using direct product links – that’s one reason their there for. We send out a monthly mailing and because we have a 365 day cookie duration you get the sale. Cookies are imbedded so even if there is a direct link to our site from an email we send you still get the sale because they came from you first and the cookie is still live.
    Bottom line - you need to trust the merchant your with. Most affiliate know when they are being cheated and those merchants that cheat their affiliates deserve to loose and they will. What comes around goes around.
    If a site does not have all the key elements that make a site trust worthy in the eyes of the consumer than no one will make a purchase.

You were kidding weren’t you?

Darlene Goldberg
    Affiliate Manager
    www.1lingeriestore.com
    (800)206-7230
    darlene@webc1.com
    www.1lingeriestore.com/affiliates.htm

Defender of Truth, Justice and the Affiliate Way
    Frank,

Glad to see that things are moving forward for you. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] I still get a kick out of the whole concept of an electric bike.

For those who don't know (or don't remember) when Frank first came to the boards, he donned his flame retardant suit said he was wanting to start an affiliate program and gave out his URL. He got plenty of feedback, and even kept coming back for more. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Glad to hear you made the decision to work with Brian and SAS. I've been seeing lots of positive changes and progress at SAS. Many of these chagnes are related to feedback from both affiliates and merchants. He's always around here too asking for the suggestions. The big plus is that you see those suggestions turn up in their program.

Kudo's to Frank and Brian and I hope lots of ABW'ers are able to sell lots of scooters this Christmas.

Now my [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

How about switching out that big mammoth toll free with "Free Shipping"

[img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Keep Your Hands Off My Cookies

Well of course I was kidding silly!

You DID read the part where I said that merchants should run their programs and sites as they see fit [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

I say, I like that scooter guy so much, I just may create a website just to promote his products [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Contact me there big boy!

Scooterboy here...

Hello there Miss Minnie. It would be a pleasure doing business with you... and whatever happens on the side I promise to keep on the down low. What Mickey doesn't know won't hurt him [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

Minnie... DaPackster... I'll PM you guys as soon as we're set up with the program and I appreciate any input you have to offer as we develop our program.

Anyone else interested in a handy, dandy PM grand opening announcement, please chime in.

To all those not mentioned specifically... thanks for all your input.

Brian... I'll be in touch real soon. I've got questions.

Thanks gang,

Frank
    UrbanScooters.com

quote:
    Originally posted by UrbanScooters.com:
    Scooterboy here...

Anyone else interested in a handy, dandy PM grand opening announcement, please chime in.

To all those not mentioned specifically... thanks for all your input.

Brian... I'll be in touch real soon. I've got questions.

Thanks gang,

Frank
    http://urbanscooters.com

Chime In??

Oh no, I think we have heard that before!

Hey Frank!

I was skeptical at first about your site.. Not sure if tracking would work, but hey.. $5000.00 in scooter sales so far this month is a start.. When does the bonus level kick in?

Allen Nance
    Gearshopping.com

Hmmmm ... seems to us that FREE shipping is an exceptional bonus scoring to drive a potential sales customer to a sale.

Our team agreed that the size of 1-800 number is a bit on the "overkill bearing size". This could be a knicker of possibly attracting a re-seller.

As for the "Tell A Friend" option ... that is a definate "ditch off" unless the user is being tracked for crediting the original afilliate referrer. This does not seem to be the case at this service upon viewing site. This is great feature to have on services pages, but if services page cannot be seperated in to common area (general users) and partition the afilliate referrers area, then this is a must leave out option.

General courtesy and respect on both sides must be achieved for ultimate success from both partnered services. Without each other, where exactly would either service likely be?

We had to address this 1 statement that certainly tweaked our interest:

[Begin] Quote By: Minnie Mouse

"I wanted to add, without sounding sarcastic, that it is often the people that AREN'T making any money that make the most demands."
    [END]

Hmmm ... If one is to succeed in any competitive industry or service that is going succeed where most others fail, is to be demanding.

If your not in full tune with your service and don't have the drive to fully push your service ahead, then it's time to hand that task over to someone who will and can.

The only way a service will truly prosper is to respect others, as you would want them to respect you.

All truly creative and talented ABW members here who are capable of envisioning where their service future is going with detailed studied plans should be demanding if something directly involves their very existance.

We ourselves do not put a mark of "AREN'T making any money" claims against those that stand up for what could ultimately substain your very own existence in the future by making their stand.

We commend those that speak up. We are earnest believers in: "If you don't squawk, don't talk"

Happy Holidays Folks [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

DesignerWiz
    http://DesignerWiz.com

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast