ABW Ambassador
    In your next payment you will see an extra credit from Commission Junction. The credited amount is compensation for estimated unreported transactions that emanated from the partial outage at our data center on November 30, 2004. All of us who rely on the Internet for our business operations understand that outages from upstream service providers do occur and cannot be completely controlled. However, Commission Junction would like to mitigate the affect of this outage on our clients, especially during this, your busiest of seasons.

On November 30th Commission Junction experienced an unscheduled partial outage between 8:33 AM - 1:38 (PST). This outage was caused by failure at our primary data center causing the system that supports the CJ Marketplace to operate at partial capacity. A portion of transactions during the outage period were not reported and therefore not recorded by our system.

We have estimated that approximately 13 percent of your normal commissions earned for Tuesday, November 30, 2004 went unreported. Although we are under no contractual or otherwise legal obligation to do so, we will be crediting your account this 13 percent and an extra 2 percent for a total of 15 percent of your commission earned last Tuesday, November 30th. Your 15 percent credit will be posted to your account on Sunday, December 12, 2004. Your amount can be calculated by going to the performance report for November 30th and adding 15 percent to the total of commissionable actions for the day. The credit will appear in your transaction report as "November Outage Credit."

Going forward we will continue to work with all of our service providers to ensure that they have redundant, high availability processes. As always, we will closely manage our own servers to ensure accuracy, develop and implement more testing processes, and deliver the exceptional reliability our clients have come to expect over the last six years. Our current processes enabled us to detect and respond quickly to the issue at hand. Our continued commitment to advanced functionality and performance will help us exceed your expectations for system reliability and integrity in the future.

We realize that this a very busy time for everyone and recognize that it is important to maintain the momentum of the holiday season. We value our clients and your loyalty to Commission Junction and have proactively addressed this situation so that you can continue to rely on us as your trusted third party in performance marketing. If you have any questions regarding this issue, please use the Contact Us link at the top right of the CJ Account Manager™ and select the "November Outage Credit" category using the "Ask a Question" feature. Client services will respond to your question as soon as possible.

Sincerely,

Elizabeth Cholawsky
    Vice President, Marketing and Product Development
    Commission Junction, a ValueClick company

Thank you for sharing that.

Too bad if one's only sales for that day would have happened during the downtime.

The affiliate formerly known as ojmoo
    Its very cool and very surprising. But I have one quibble. They are going to give you 15% of the average commission from November 1st to November 30th. That isn't right it should be 15% of the average commissions from Novemeber 16 to December 15th. That is much more accurate since my commissions are rising everyday as we near xmas.

Mike

ojmoo, I don't think they're using Nov 1 to Nov 30th. It says they're just going to add 15% to whatever happened on that day. Not a very good way to do it in my opinion. They should have averaged the prior week and taken 15% of that. Herb's comment is totally valid because if you only made sales between that point you'll get nothing.

- Scott
    Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all transgressions.

ABW Ambassador
    "We have estimated that approximately 13 percent of your normal commissions earned for Tuesday, November 30, 2004 went unreported. Although we are under no contractual or otherwise legal obligation to do so, we will be crediting your account this 13 percent and an extra 2 percent for a total of 15 percent of your commission earned last Tuesday, November 30th."

So they're going to take what you earned that Tuesday November 30th, multiply that by 15% and that's the credit, the way i'm reading it.

ABW Ambassador
    Well I think it's really decent of CJ/Value Click to do something to cover our losses, even if not everyone agrees on their approach.

Thanks CJ!

I'm not sure how they came up with 13%. The outage was about 20% of the day. Factoring in that the outage was during a busy part of the day, I would figure it to be more like 30% of the day's sales. Unless only part of the transactions during that time didn't get recorded. In that case, who knows.

I'm sure they did some pretty extensive analysis to figure things out. Being able to see everything on the network, they certainly have the capacity to see what we can't. For instance, they could have charted the total commissions earned for Monday through Friday that week and looked to see how far below the trend line Tuesday was.

In any case, it's good to see that they're doing something about it. CJ continues to impress me as being one of the most affiliate-friendly networks. With consolidated payments, direct deposit, low minimums, network-wide EPC stats, and actions like this when there are problems, they really stand out. BRAVO CJ!
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

I for one am glad I didnt get a lump of coal this xmas. Ill take 13% xmas bonus and

ABW Ambassador
    I agree with Michael.

PS: Mr. Messer and company should learn from this.

at least it is way better than nothing.

I like traffic lights
    Southern hemisphere - away from Fukushima
    Yes. Excellent news.

Thanks CJ!

I apprechiate it - thanks!!!

lol, too bad they didn't pick a bigger sales day for me..
    Ebudae

quote:
    Originally posted by KCEdit:
    Mr. Messer and company should learn from this.

Amen.

IMO, despite a few bumps along the way, CJ has proven itself the true affiliate friendly network. LS's lack of direct deposit and un-reliable reporting leaves them several major steps behind...
    [B]A great secret of success is to go through life as a man who never gets used up.[/B]

ABW Ambassador
    I think everyone should be happy that they're getting anything. Amazon was down earlier this week and I sure as hell don't see them offering any kind of bonus or apology for that.

IMO, thats a nice gesture from CJ. At least they are compensating for something even "Although we are under no contractual or otherwise legal obligation to do so".

Something is better than nothing.
    <DT>[size=1][color=navy]"The best measure of a man's honesty isn't his income tax return.[/color][/size]<DT>[size=1][color=navy]It's the zero adjust on his bathroom scale." Arthur C. Clark[/color][/size]</DT>

quote:
    Something is better than nothing.

unless, of course, you would have had a sale only during the affected period, in which case 15% of nothing is still nothing.

we'll never know.

quote:
    I'm not sure how they came up with 13%. The outage was about 20% of the day.
    Michael, you would be correct if sales were steady all day but they actually rise and fall as one big arch over the couse of the day. The outage occurred on the upswing side of the arch. Although the duration of the outage was approx. 20% of 24 hours, it only resulted in approx. 13% of the txns not getting tracked (also it was a partial outage, so some txns were getting through). We were able to use actual data to calculate the amount and then added another 2% for good measure.
    Todd Crawford
    Co-Founder, Impact Radius

Give me a minute before I post again

Way to go CJ!!!

Given there is no way CJ could please everyone about this, I think CJ did above and beyond regarding this. You can do the math any way you want, but their 15% is still greater than just about any other network or independent would have done. It's little things like this that keep me setting up new domains at CJ every week (about 100 so far).
    Ron Bechdolt | Affiliate Program Management Consultant
    7 Days A Week Marketing

Tell you the truth. This is as impressive as it is unexpected.

Kudos to CJ on the way they have handled this.
    Comments are opinion unless otherwise noted. Remember, pillage first. Then burn. Half of all people in the world have IQs under 100. You best learn to trust ol' SSanf!

ABW Ambassador
    I think this is very fair and based on my calculations it about right. Thank you!

quote:
    Originally posted by infoseeker:
    I think this is very far and based on my calculations it about right. Thank you!
    Looks about right based on my calculations too.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

I'm pleased - Thanks CJ

23. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread