I recently did a search on my domain name in Google and found out that one of my affiliates (possibly Shareasale itself) is bidding on my domain through AdWords. For obvious reasons I have problems with affiliates getting credit for sales generated by people entering my domain name into a search engine. I encourage bidding on similar keywords but if somebody places my domain name into a search engine, I don’t need an affiliate to help me generate traffic from that user. I’ve contacted Sharasale via e-mail and tried calling but haven’t gotten a response.

Is this common practice by Shareasale? Do I need to add something to my terms and conditions regarding this? (sorry, I’m sort of new to this side of the affiliate/merchant relationship)

Thanks,

[This message was edited by woop01 on March 07, 2003 at 10:39 AM.]

This seems to be pretty common practice whenever a new merchant or advertiser doesn't have a really tight terms and conditions document.

We've revised all our agreements to include specific provisions regarding bidding on our trademarks and names, and I've found that though we never get responses to our initial emails, once we kick the offenders out of the program they are quick to reply.

We let them back in, of course, if they agree to play nice. Many of our top affiliates now are the ones who tried that at the beginning.

-----

Tom Dalton
    Director of Affiliate Marketing
    (801) 802-9500
    tom_at_10xmarketing.com

http://www.10xmarketing.com/

Are your domain names trademarked? Are they bidding on the name with the .com, .net, etc? Or just the word(s) that make up your domain name? If it is not trademarked or generic, then anyone can bid. However, if they are your affiliates you can remove them or threaten to. But be careful, there will be nothing to stop them from bidding on the same words (if not trademarked or generic) after being removed from your program and then redirecting the traffic to other merchant programs, especially if they can expect high conversions and ROI no matter what merchant they supply the traffic.

ShareASale President/CEO and ABW Veteran Brian - ShareASale's Avatar
    I couldn't re-create this problem...

But so everyone knows, Shareasale.com has never, and will never "bid" on anyone's domain name.

Our job and mission is to provide the software and network for Affiliates to promote our Merchants. We don't actively participate, with very limited exception (and conversation with that merchant), in the promotion of our own merchants.

Thanks,

-Brian Littleton
    -Owner/Operator Shareasale.com
    brian@shareasale.com

Let me clear up that Brian did contact me and I concur with what he said.

Whichever affiliate it is, is bidding on the keyword and redirecting to my site from theirs. You never see their site. It's not a listing that I put up myself.

BTW focol,

This is in no way a generic domain name and I don't have any competition that they could send traffic to.

Thanks everyone for the input, I'll figure out who it is.

ShareASale President/CEO and ABW Veteran Brian - ShareASale's Avatar
    Jeff,

If you click on the link, I noticed you have the SSAID info being sent to your site....that is the affiliate's ID number on shareasale.com....

You should thus be able to find them in the affiliate management center...let me know if you need help with it...

Thanks,

-Brian Littleton
    -Owner/Operator Shareasale.com
    brian@shareasale.com

Brian,

Thanks, helps quite a bit.

9. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread