Curious about something...

If I've got a customer that visits affiliate site A, then affiliate site B, then affiliate site C, then back to affiliate site B, then makes a purchase... who gets the commish?

It's the first guy that gets the commish, right? Yeah, that's the gripe with parasiteware... they come last, wipe out the first guys cookie and take credit, right? Dose rat bastids!

Frank
    UrbanScooters.com
    UrbanScooters.com Affiliate Program

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    B gets it.

And that's how it should be--the site that actually convinced the person to buy deserves the commission!

In your example, neither site A nor site C could actually get the person to get out their credit card, so neither of them should get the commission.

-I've been a king, and I've been a pauper, and everything there is in between ~fairly old country song

Outsourced Program Manager Chris -  AMWSO's Avatar
    It's time for the multi level commission division progam

Possibly not so crazy after all, assume the program allowed for X levels of commission tracking and that fixed commission was split depending on how many levels that commission was spread over... of course it gets complicated on the tracking side as the system would no longer be just tracking sales, but also visits... plus this would inspire a whole new rabid set of browser spawning, which would need to be policed and blocked for this kind of system.

Humour me everyone, "Would such a system work...?" Downside, Upside, other problems?

Cheers

Chris

B gets it.

Last link is the first to go to the bank

Haiko

The secret of success is constancy of purpose. ~ Disraeli

Chris,

It would never work!

Many expert affiliates (like Leader) tweak their spin such that it it the decisive factor to sell the product!! As such the last one does deserve the full commission.

I'm not even going to go into the tracking and payment / logistics nightmare

Haiko

The secret of success is constancy of purpose. ~ Disraeli

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    What Haiko said!

Real salespeople won't appreciate moochers getting a commish just for being there!

You would probably be left with just what you DON'T want: Those who can't sell water in a desert. Because the *real* salespeople would beat it quick, and go to a merchant who would pay them the full amount!

-I've been a king, and I've been a pauper, and everything there is in between ~fairly old country song

quote:
    Originally posted by Haiko:
    Many expert affiliates (like Leader) tweak their spin such that it it the decisive factor to sell the product!! As such the last one does deserve the full commission.

That's why does nobody in this forum like parasites. They get the full commission without providing the sales pitch*.

*To be fair:
    It's not always the case. Depending on the parasite. Some offer instant rebates (eBates) and that might be the sales pitch and not the original site.

I have to say that, because it happened to me today.

I was thinking about buying a certain product for weeks, but didn't buy it.
    I opened my Gold Box at Amazon.com today and the Item was in it. Instant Rebate (over 10%).
    You know what? I bought it right on the spot.

Some Parasites (instant rebate sites like eBates) have the same effect on the customer.

So, I personaly do not like eBates, but there is a point where eBat is right.
    It was maybe them and not the original affiliate site who made the customer buy the product.

However, it's not the case with most of the parasites, so we hate them in general (makes our lives easier).

Carsten

Shop-Links.net Partner
    Shop-Links.net

If you can't move things, try harder!

ABW Ambassador
    quote:
    If I've got a customer that visits affiliate site A, then affiliate site B, then affiliate site C, then back to affiliate site B, then makes a purchase... who gets the commish?

Could be A, B, C, or none. You never said whether customer clicked from affiliate site A, B, or C.

quote:
    Some Parasites (instant rebate sites like eBates) have the same effect on the customer.
    Just FYI, ebats does not offer instant rebates.

----
    -J
    The neighbors complain about the noises above ... But she only comes when she's on top.

OK, it makes sense that the site that closes the deal gets the commission. My background is sales, that's the way it works there... and the way it should work here... coffee is for closers ya know That was a gooooood movie.

Frank
    UrbanScooters.com
    UrbanScooters.com Affiliate Program

10. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread