If you're as "spoiled" as I am getting a constant stream of sales from owned products and multiple affiliate networks, you'll sympathize.

This month if i remember well, I only made one sale! One of my top dealers, the Anabolic Store "suddendly" stagnated plus all other programs.

I mostly use associate programs to quadruple my back-end sales.Now I'm thinking into dumping at least half of them, why...?

Too many #800 prominently placed all over the advertisers' sites. This drains my efforts and my time.

I'd suggest Brian, to come up with a simple, "applicable" system to track sales by phone. You consent that affiliates lose at least 20% of their revenue from those sneaky "Call Now - Toll-Free Consultation..."

Can you see our promotions undermined?

Brian, do something about it...

There are numerous ways to track "offline" sales. Top marketers value their affiliates and *also* credit sales delivered by phone.

Wake up affiliates! They're getting rich and you get pennies. I've been marketing online since '96, I know how the system works.

Affiliate programs and Shareasale are great, as long as we learn to value associate partners as pioneers in this game - if not I'd rather find some wholesale sources, hire an employee or two, and let some sly merchants bite dust.

Brian, if you'll credit offline sales (i'd better call them off-the-record), you'll double your affiliate force faster than you think.

Think about it.

Hey Pap,

We credit offline sales;

quote:
    At UrbanScooters.com phone orders are your friend! That’s right, you get credit for all phone orders. We have a system designed to track your affiliate ID and present it next to our phone number as a “Promo Code.” All customers are asked to give this "Promo Code" when calling.

If the merchant requests for this to be done through SAS it can be done. Brian helped us iron this out for our site, he can set it up for any merchant that asks.

It does pose a bit of a dilemma for the merchant, though. A merchant offering offline credit for affiliate phone sales has to pay a call management expense on top of the affiliate commission. This can really drain the profit margin and I believe it's why the merchants who play fair might hesitate. I do understand that other merchants may hesitate for less noble reasons. There's a lot of talk about that here on ABW.

After 6 months of experimentation I feel the best solution for both affiliate and merchant is two versions of the site. Bottom line... 800#'s help the merchant drive sales, so the main version of the site has 800#'s. To avoid not crediting the affiliate for commission due the affiliate version of the site will not have the 800#, just plain old toll number (preferably with the affiliate number listed as a "Promo Code"), or no phone number at all (thereby forcing the sale to take place over the Internet.)

We actually plan on moving to two versions of the site. We'll offer a phone number on the affiliate version of our site with the affiliate number (Promo Code) listed next to it, but it's going to be on the contact us page only, it's going to be a local toll number, and it's only going to be available Mon - Fri, 9am - 5pm. It's our main office number and we won't be paying the added call center expense to take orders there... so it makes sense for us. Our affilates get paid commission on all phone orders and we don't incur added call center expense.

Hmmmm... just read over what I wrote. It's really just a bunch of verbage. A way to make everyone happy without actually addressing the real problem. Let's bottom line it. What's the real problem? The real problem is whether the merchant is honest or a crook? If the merchant is honest, they have X number of dollars budgeted for affiliate commissions. If the merchant plasters 800#'s all over thier site, but delivers a very high affiliate commission per sale and in the end the affiliate does earn a great check based on sales that do occur online... that's good for everyone involved. However, if the merchant is a crook there are too many tricks to get out of paying the commission due an affiliate. No matter how they set up their program.

If it really does boil down to honest vs. dishonest merchants, Ebay has quite a good system in place for determining a sellers credibility based on buyer feedback. It's real clear which seller you want to buy from and which you don't. To get to the root of our problem, I suggest affiliate networks institute a more sophisticated feedback system like the one Ebay has. Then if a merchant is dishonest, everyone knows it and like a seller with a bad feedback rating on Ebay they are avoided. Affiliates will naturally know to stay away from dishonest merchants, honest merchants will be rewarded, there will be much rejoicing. No wait... I said much rejoicing Oh no... was that perhaps too much rejoicing I hate it when that happens!

Frank
    UrbanScooters.com
    UrbanScooters.com Affiliate Program

Frank,
    I am glad to hear that merchants like you credit offline sales.
    If you were offering 15% commissions I'd quickly join your program and post it at http://www.smart-shopping-mall.com

I have been very happy with lucrative associate programs that track sales by phone such Rudl's "Car Secrets Revealed" affiliate program http://bmwmaniac.com/affiliate. The man knows how important his affiliate force is for his online business and credits all referral sales.

For sales-by-phone he offers lower commissions since operators involve. That's acceptable, because it's like an affiliate like me hiring an individual to pick-up the phone and accept the order *only* when a sale takes place!

Treat your affiliate "army" flawlessly and the dividends will surpass your expectations.

I heard that Don Lapre (a notorious entity for some people) passed luxurious cars and hefty commissions for his top "gangsters" ehh.. I meant sellers - if you know what I mean...

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar

LOL ...Frank celebrates till it's puke time.

Charlie ...

If they won't adopt and feed a bird ..flip them one! BBQ some Gator and remember to flush WhenU..

Frank

Don't get listed at http://www.smart-shopping-mall.com.

Pap, what is that junk site. Auto Redirects, Pop-ups. What do you need Active-X for (didn't accept it). Drive-By Download?

Frank, to your approach to Call Centers and Affiliate Commissions through that.
    Good approach, but I think not practicable for a lot of merchants.

For a lot of merchants is the online revenue generated through affiliates just a small percentage of their total revenue and just another marketing channel as any other.

A lot of Users do not trust the a Merchant who does not have an easy accessible toll-free customer service phone number.

A lot of Users do not trust the internet.
    They look for the phone number and buy via phone and would never place an order online.

A system to accurate track offline sales "may be" generated by affiliates is not simple and can be costly for big online merchants.

Short. A toll free number for the merchant should be available and accessible, but should not be used in a way to divert a customer who is ready to buy ONLINE.
    That comes down to HOW you put the phone number on the Site.

A way to track offline sales would be to generate a unique coupon code for every affiliate. They have to plaster the merchant phone number on THEIR site WHITH their coupon code (for people who want to buy via phone) and an affiliate link for people who want to buy online.

Sounds simple, but it is not, because most affiliate site are not designed and build to be able to do that. Hey and they don't want to.

Carsten

Shop-Links.net Partner
    Shop-Links.net

If you can't move things, try harder!

Oh, yes Frank, don't get listed at http://smart-shopping-mall.com

Your server will be swamped by hungry shoppers and you'll have to hire more employees!

Please be smart! Smart-shopping-mall.com is on the primary results in Altavista at:
    http://altavista.com/web/results?q=s...ls=1&avkw=xytx

For "smart shopping".. you wouldn't want smart shoppers on your site, would you?

quote:
    Originally posted by Pap:
    Oh, yes Frank, don't get listed at http://smart-shopping-mall.com

Your server will be swamped by hungry shoppers and you'll have to hire more employees!

Please be smart! Smart-shopping-mall.com is on the primary results in Altavista at:
    http://altavista.com/web/results?q=s...ls=1&avkw=xytx

For "_smart shopping_".. you wouldn't want smart shoppers on your site, would you?

Okay. Good Listing at Altavista, however , that was the result of a bot visit, not a human beeing. Just out of curiosity. When you get a visit from a human through altavista, do they actually buy something through your site?

Don't get me wrong, everybody can built his site as he likes. I just got spammed with pop ups and pop unders, got asked to accept active-x for no obvious reason and did not grasp the idea, what you site is about.

Carsten

Shop-Links.net Partner
    Shop-Links.net

If you noticed Carsten, you'll see that smart-shopping-mall.com is a "pure" redirect to a top-selling CJ dealer... to resolve your hitch.

I didn't Pap, because I always close all browser windows which I did not open myself without looking at them. Sorry .

Carsten

Shop-Links.net Partner
    Shop-Links.net

Oh, Carsten I'm sorry - my mistake...

This site doesn't make a dime with CJ, I got confused with another merchant!

So far about 2000+ clicks and... 1 reversed sale.

I guess that's why people are so furious with CJ and file lawsuits.

Some personal views:

> In my experience 1 out of 5 merchants in CJ are scams.

> Only 1 out of 3 sales go tracked.

Again sorry for my mistake - I have numerous sites and sometimes forget.

What underperforming merchant are you talking about Pap. Not UrbanScooters.com, we're not on CJ. Only on Shareasale and we do pretty well there. 4 of 6 dollar signs ain't too shabby, eh.

Frank
    UrbanScooters.com
    UrbanScooters.com Affiliate Program

Of course it's not UrbanScooters.com, Frank!

Just run into the site to see the merchant whom I'll remove in a week... or so.

Hey why don't you approve me and I'll dump this merchant...

13. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread