Hi everyone...only new to the forum and saying hello

Recently I struck a huge problem when changing my affiliate account status by checking 'Do you offer incentives?' to Yes.

In an instant the merchants and links I had built up over two years were cancelled and automatically re-applied for. Many declined me outright even though I had sent them targeted traffic resulting in sales over that period.

I answered the question honestly and there was no PPC involved. How do I offer incentives?

My members are awarded a minimum 5 reward points for every dollar they spend with my merchants. They are given a 'bank' to save their reward points and, when they have saved enough they may redeem their rewards for Prizes displayed in our online ShowCase. The prizes are either sponsored by my merchants or purchased from them by me.

I'm not giving out points for clicking links. The only time my members get points is after they have made a confirmed purchase.

Tell me...what's shonky about that? Why have I been treated as if I have the plague?

I'd be very interested to understand

ps..I wasn't referring to SAS above

Supporting the Australian Affiliate marketing industry

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    The issue of "incenting traffic" to merchants via rewards/coupons/points/free gifts etc etc is best left answered by the industry leaders. Contact WhenU -Gator-Morpheus -Kazzaa -Upromise -Iwon -iGive -eBates or the computer virus

Mike & Charlie ...

If they won't adopt and feed a bird ..flip them one! BBQ some Gator and remember to flush WhenU..

Thanks for the informative reply and welcome.

Anyone else have an opinion

ABW Ambassador
    ECash,

In case of "incent" marketing, never rely on Mike's expert comments! Otherwise, he is good guy. (Just kidding Mike )

On the serious note, I do not see anything wrong with providing incentives for "sales only". But each merchant has their own policy and strategy about affiliate merketing. Some reject outright from the fear of getting "bad" traffic from incentive-oriented clicks.

BTW, welcome to ABW

Waybackwhen Shareasale had allowed for or didn't immediately stop ---------
    (edited by heyder)
    ---- a very large group of webmasters that paid their members for clicking ads or viewing pages. For some small minded reason or another people (merchants) are slow witted when it comes to seeing the difference between paying for clicks with incented traffic (bad) and having to pay for sales from incented traffic (good) so with the waste of human gene pool that they are they go ahead and decide it's bad all bad argh argh argh!

[This message was edited by Heyder on June 09, 2003 at 04:28 PM.]

ShareASale President/CEO and ABW Veteran Brian - ShareASale's Avatar
    1. Heyder, please explain why you feel this is our fault. The merchants that accept incentive sites have done so willingly.

2. Ecash, I don't think your removal from programs had anything to do with your checking of that box, which is supposed to be done only once at the time of the account creation by the way.....the "Incentive" question is currently not displayed to merchants. It is for internal record keeping, because as per the terms of agreement - all incentive affiliates must have written approval from a merchant in order to participate in PPC or PPL programs, and that written approval must be emailed or faxed to me - othewise you run the risk of losing all commissions if the merchant complains. (i.e., you would be guilty of not following the TOS). This restriction does NOT apply to PPSale programs.

3. Ecash, if you want me to check out your account, please PM either your userID or username....

4. seems like i have answered this one a few times today, but not here, so here goes. Merchants have the final say, and they make ALL of the decisions based on who is approved for their program, and who is declined. We can't change their mind. ABWebbers along with many other folks have been hammering into the minds of merchants across the board, that the idea of incentivized traffic is bad - the stories of stolen commissions, skewed statistics, paying for sales that originated from other sources, etc... I am not suprised at all that PPSale merchants even these days are rejecting incentivized websites - especially if they have no idea how those websites work. You have 2 options if a merchant has either declined your application, or has failed to approve it - the first is to email the merchant POLITELY and explain what your site does and how it can benefit them. the second is to "quit" the program, and re-apply - they may just not have noticed the application.

Thanks,

-Brian Littleton
    -Owner/Operator Shareasale.com
    brian@shareasale.com

Oops I meant to clarify what I said "this is shareasales fault". A while back when the pay per click model was more popular a bunch of organizations would pay their members to click links and they did so just for the sake of making a few cents. Shareasale didn't do anything at that time to put a stop to this account draining practice except for the merchants own monitoring. Today you ask the affiliate if that is their business model and that's great but merchants are still afraid to allow these affiliates in for what I believe goes back to the ppc model.

Sorry Brian I was multi-tasking and thinking one thing whilst doing another. I was trying to get a point across that fell amuck.

Thanks very much for the input guys, I understand more clearly now that, in my case, it's more a question of the correct interpretation of the word 'incentive'.

I knew where Mike was coming from - that's why I bought him a beer [emoticon]

Brian I emailed you twelve or so hours ago but will PM my details as requested. Let me add here that I closed my initial post in this thread by stating I was NOT referring to SAS. In actual fact it was CJ and the advertiser rejections were instantaneous which indicates that although SAS don't give merchants access to an affiliates data with regard to incentives Commission Junction DO have a facility for automatic rejection.

I read your TOS thoroughly before joining and as I am only interested in PPS programs I assumed I didn't have to seek those permissions from merchants. I will double check though.

Thanks again and I look forward to being part of the team

9. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread