Internet Cowboy
    I am not going to mention names. If you are a CJ affiliate and spend any time or effort promoting web hosting, please read this and do just a little bit of reseearch and you will clearly and easily see who I am talking about.

Web Host X offers $90. When comparing them to other hosting companies in the CJ get links area, this is impressive. What they don't tell you is that on their advertiser detail page, in the Description area (which is supposed to contain their hype about their program) they put more terms and conditions in.

Now. The real problem with this is that they can now change their payouts based on their Description, bypassing the need to notify their publishers of a change in terms. Furthermore, this makes them look more attractive than their competitors from the Get Links section, because their payout claims to be $90, but is indeed less with an incentive to sell more and get to the $90 level.

If you sell one of these plans, you get credited $90, then later it gets reversed and you are bonused $65. This also falsley inflates their 7 Day EPC, yet another advantage it gives them over their competitors, while misleading potential publishers.

I have contacted this merchant as well as CJ regarding this and nothing has been done thus far.

Clearly, you can all see the dangerous precedent set here. If company ZZZZ offers 15% on all sales, then adds text to their description that you only get the 15% if you meet whatever criteria, then you are subject to chargebacks, not to mention being subject to this merchant's ability to change their program terms at any time, with no notice and without having to notify their publisher base.

This is a company who offers a fine product, but their methods are totally unethical from the publisher side as well as from the standpoint of their competitors.

If you are an affiliate of this company and/or have been affected by this practice, contact CJ and demand that this be fixed, publishers be paid the money they were screwed out of and that this merchant be watched more carefully as they have now proven to be unethical.

Thanks

ABW Ambassador
    Webhosts in general are famous for this sort of thing; it's not a CJ-specific issue.

FWIW, Lunarpages has been a good performer for me. I've also referred many friends, so I know an order has been placed to check reports for, and they have never failed to track or pay. Their offers are as good as anybody else's price-wise and feature-wise, so no problem making sales if you have the right traffic.

There are 3 that offer $90 a commission. I think I know who you are talking about. They use to offer $65 dollars a sale. They just haven't updated their description. I referred a sale to them a couple months ago and got paid $90.

Internet Cowboy
    And if you dispute anything with them directly, they simply cancel the individual account(s) in your name, rather than defending their position.

But that's OK. There are other hosting merchants out there that don't play games like this.

If it is Globat...say "no comment". If not, say "it's not Globat".

If you can get Globat to convert much of anything, well, you're better than me. I worked with them on some stuff. Spent time on the phone and in email with them. Pushed their promotions, including a 75% off for the whole first year. And their conversion rate was abysmal.

YMMV.

-John.
    There's a reason army's wear uniforms even though it makes them easier to spot. Sometimes that's what you want. Uniforms suggest organization, power, and numbers. These, in turn, inspire fear. And, as any good operative knows, there is no more effective weapon than fear.

Hosting Comparison - HostScope - jrrl.com

quote:
    Originally posted by cybear:
    If you can get Globat to convert much of anything, well, you're better than me.

OK .. Globat is currently at the top of the list .. guess I'll move them back to the bottom.

I wasn't making any money with them .. thought it might be because they were too far down the list.

I have sent a note to affiliates@globat.com asking them what's going on here. Will report back if I get a reply of any interest.

Internet Cowboy
    I was told by CJ today that this is OK with them.
    So...now a merchant can claim to pay one amount and indeed pay less by changing their program description.
    Program terms are not important anymore and merchants no longer need to notify publishers of program term changes, all they have to do is alter their program description and CJ will stand behind that.

Really!!! This it TOO MUCH!!

CJ should be ashamed to allow such shenanigans!!

Is it any wonder that I am all the time telling people to use SAS?

That is disgusting. What a lying bunch of wh0re mongers!

You can't rust CJ or any merchant that uses CJ as far as I can tell.

(If econocity can say ad whore, I can say wh0re mongers, I guess.)
    Comments are opinion unless otherwise noted. Remember, pillage first. Then burn. Half of all people in the world have IQs under 100. You best learn to trust ol' SSanf!

11. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread