We are a merchant who just signed up with SAS and we have had 30+ affiliates sign up since 6/25 without us recruiting. This is our first shot with affiliate marketing. Our commissions are generous and our site converts very well from our traffic. On average, how long is it before you start to see sales coming in? 1 month? 2 weeks? Any input is appreciated.

One thing that beginners mistakingly think is that they just sign up with a network and the sales will start pouring in like magic. This is not the case. You will still have to do some work on your part. Communicate with your affiliates, find out why they are inactive, etc...

ABW Ambassador
    If you are a new merchant, and you have some decent commission rate, then you will attract the affiliates.

However, it does take time for you to get the sales coming in.

If I was to create a page for your site, and uploaded it today, it could take a while for it to be picked up by the search engines.
    I am starting to see pages go in that I created months ago, but I am also seeing pages go in that I created recently.

If I was to time it right, and I placed your link on my main page, you could get a sale within a day or so. However, if I place a link on one of my outer pages, and I don't time it right, it could be a couple of months before you get a sale from me!

Which merchant are you?

www.cjshoppingnetwork.com

Thanks for the input cjshoppingnetwork and dreamscape. On SAS we are New Horizon Toys. We have just got started and selected SAS based on the recommendation of an affiliate who we wanted to market our site. I have seen hits already come through and by no means am I complaining or disappointed. We are very excited! Since this arena is brand new to me and I have learned alot in a few short weeks, I was trying to get a feel on what to expect from experienced affiliates and merchants.
    Thanks again.

Hello Cutiger .. welcome to the ABW forum board. Hope your new online merchant business takes off with a big bang.

Ray Thomas
    DesignerWiz.com CEO
    Development Resource & Javascript Public Archive Center
    http://DesignerWiz.com

I was just looking at your program this morning. Definately a nice website. Is Christmas time your busiest time of the year?

But like cjshoppingnetwork said, be patient. Pay per sale stuff takes longer to work than pay per lead, click, or cpm stuff. In the meantime, just be sure to be ready to reply to any affiliates emails that you may get.

Good luck

Thanks dreamscape. Yes Christmas is our busiest time but I think that holds true for alot of online businesses. However, our sales are healthy during the year also..as people are often buying gifts throughout the year. Thanks for the advice, we already have had a few emails, and we are very responsive and more than willing to assist anyone with questions.

Hi Cutiger and Welcome,

I think a good thread to look at which you probably already did is the Body Jewelry thread that Chris has going. Kind of like an almost daily report from the birth of a new affiliate program until current. It's Here

I realize that the 2 programs are different but it can sort of give you an idea. Body jewelry is more of an everyday item year round where it seems toys seem to definately peek in Nov, Dec so the results may not be the same.

I also agree with the others about keeping a good relationship with the affiliates no matter how big or small. Positions change in the game and the little guy or gal might be the top affiliate a few months down the road. Good Luck to You

A bonus like Chris comes up with every now and then doesn't hurt either. It's a good motivator and we all seem to have fun with the competition. JMO of course

Merchant Coincidences, One of the Wonders of the World

Coincidence Me baby!

Yes, I had read the post, very informative and helpful. Our sales due peak in Nove and Dec. It is definetely the icing on the cake for toy retailers (Christmas that is) but our sales during the year are also outstanding and nothing to bark at. Our intention with the affiliate program is to take these sales to the next level and spread the word about our website.

Thanks again!

ABW Ambassador
    Are you going to provide more banners? I will add a page to my site, and I will add some of your products. However, some different banners would be nice

Yes, I plan on having some up by Monday. Any thoughts on banners that affiliates prefer?, i.e. sizes, information, etc. Any input is helpful and I will have them together.

ABW Ambassador
    I am more concerned with professionally designed banners. There is nothing worse than poorly designed banners. The ones you have so far look great, more 468*60 would be nice. Also, a 120 * 600 is always a good size

13. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread