I'm new in shareasale affiliate program. And I just login into my shareasale account today, but why I can't login with the reason "Your account has been suspended for fraud type activity - and will not return. "
    What is the mean????? I just work hard to build a link with shareasale, than I'm working hard to selling out the item, because I just want to earn some comission with this program.
    But why SAS closed my account offhand????
    Honesty, I feel resentful with this matter. Please note, I just hard-earned to work with this program, what I do is sending an email to every people I who I knows, I'm also offer the product link when I'm chatting with other in yahoo messenger, mirc, or ICQ, and my last comission is about $474, then my account is dissabled. Oh My God.... My hard work is useless.................................

There is a difference between hard work and hard spam. I know you are going to reply with the famous ol' "I didn't do it!!!" line but Brian wouldn't close an account if he didn't have a very good reason.

I am sure a few hundred other people in here would agree.

ABW Ambassador
    I'd like to hear shareasales' side about this.

What exactly triggered the suspension of the account?

There is a difference between hard work and hard spam. I know you are going to reply with the famous ol' "I didn't do it!!!" line but Brian wouldn't close an account if he didn't have a very good reason.

I am sure a few hundred other people in here would agree. ====>>>> I want tell you all, I just sending email to people who I KNOWS, not to all people, is sending email to a friends is called SPAMMING ????

You are in, or you are out ... choose!
    genggong, I think you should be contacting Brian at Shareasale to plead your case. I am not sure any of us here are qualified to comment on Brian's decision.

Good Luck.
    Woz

ABW Ambassador
    You violated the Affiliate Service Agreement: Read last sentence on bottom.

"I'm also offer the product link when I'm chatting with other in yahoo messenger, mirc, or ICQ,"

Affililate Service Agreement:
    "You cannot SPAM. You cannot SPAM. You cannot SPAM. We will terminate your account on the first offense of SPAMMING. Do not send email to lists or groups that you do not have permission to send to. We cannot stress this enough, we WILL terminate your account on the first offense.
    You may place banners or links within your newsletters, in content of your website, or within other web related content.
    NOT ALLOWED: All other uses of banners or links, such as newsgroups, chat rooms, ICQ, message boards, banner networks, hit farms, counters, or guestbooks etc. are NOT allowed.

quote:
    is sending email to a friends is called SPAMMING ????
    Yes it is.

quote:
    Originally posted by TrustNo1®:
    You violated the Affiliate Service Agreement: Read last sentence on bottom.

"I'm also offer the product link when I'm chatting with other in _yahoo messenger, mirc, or ICQ,_"

Affililate Service Agreement:
    "You cannot SPAM. You cannot SPAM. You cannot SPAM. We will terminate your account on the first offense of SPAMMING. Do not send email to lists or groups that you do not have permission to send to. We cannot stress this enough, we WILL terminate your account on the first offense.
    You may place banners or links within your newsletters, in content of your website, or within other web related content.
    NOT ALLOWED: _All other uses of banners or links, such as newsgroups, chat rooms, ICQ, message boards, banner networks, hit farms, counters, or guestbooks etc. are NOT allowed._

Genggong, Trust No.1 gave you the answer in simple terms.

You should have read the Terms and Conditions.

Farrukh Saeed
    Arabian Bazaar.com

ABW Ambassador
    quote:
    Originally posted by genggong:
    what I do is sending an email to every people I who I knows, I'm also offer the product link when I'm chatting with other in yahoo messenger, mirc, or ICQ, and my last comission is about $474, then my account is dissabled. Oh My God.... My hard work is useless.................................

I wouldn't call spamming yahoo messenger and ICQ as being hard work. Of course that is spamming! You can't do that.

What is the difference between you putting out your link to those you chat to on ICQ, and spamming e-mail addresses? It is the same thing, spamming. i.e. promoting your affiliate link to those who have not given you permission to do so. That is what it comes down to.

If you have a web page that someone has come to visit, then you can plaster your affiliate link all over the page. However, if you send your link to someone who is using ICQ or any of the other programs like ICQ, then it is considered to be spamming, because you are giving your link to someone who is not directly looking for what you have to offer

There are very good reasons why spamming is wrong. One is that it will result in you being banned from the network that your affiliate link came from, in this case it was Shareasale.

I hope that you learned that what you did was very wrong. I am pretty sure that almost every member of this forum will consider what you did to be spamming

www.cjshoppingnetwork.com

At $474 that is sure a whole lot of friends...very nice friends at that too. Somehow I think there is a little bit more to the story. Anyways, not my place so I will just be quiet now

ShareASale President/CEO and ABW Veteran Brian - ShareASale's Avatar
    I would love to be able to catch all of the folks that spam, place banners or links in icq or chat rooms in bulk, or use hit farms, etc...but the truth is there are too many of them - and the lines are too tough to draw...i have to make judgements...however that isn't the case here.

i don't like to comment on specific issues, so ill be vague here...but as a general rule, what would all of you expect as a "random" threshold for fraudulent orders....you know, if you work in an honest manner of course there are going to be some people who use fake CCs - and it isn't going to be your fault...but at what percentage do things become your fault? 5% 10%?? it is a tough call to make... but a number lets say around, oh i don't know? 90% .... at 90% i would think it is pretty easy to say that something the affiliate is doing is fishy. i can't say for sure of course....but we aren't talking about 9 out of 10 here...a bigger sample is an even stronger 90%...

i have to make judgements about these things - and i have a responsibility to merchants, consumers, and legit affiliates as well to weed out bad apples, and sometimes that makes the affiliate angry - ... sorry.

CC fraud is a serious problem. and it is dealt with seriously. we have people all the time try to setup a merchant account with us...they try for a program with a 10 cent hit commission or such...i guess thinking that i will be quick to approve since, wow! 10 cents per hit that is great. no - i didn't start this thing yesterday - and i have seen all of the attempts....it isn't worth your time to try. and if possible - all reports are sent to the appropriate agencys - and again, if possible, the card holders are notified through their card companies - that an attempt has been made.

it isn't funny, cute, creative, forgivable, or small. cc fraud is worthy of getting you a lot more than just a suspended affiliate account.

nothing specific of course, just commenting in general.

Thanks,

-Brian Littleton
    -Owner/Operator Shareasale.com
    brian@shareasale.com

ABW Ambassador
    spamming is a relative term.

there's a shareasale banner at the top of this page and this is a message board. would you say then that Brian is spamming?

as for the fake cc's, I agree with Brian that he has to make a judgment call on what to do with these things. I just wish he'd stop suggesting on who's doing the fraud, unless he has proof.

ABW Ambassador
    quote:
    Originally posted by waytogo:

there's a shareasale banner at the top of this page and this is a message board. would you say then that Brian is spamming?

How can it be spamming when SAS have paid to be listed on this forum?

www.cjshoppingnetwork.com

I am sure he does have his "proof" but do you think he is going to post it in a public forum for all the cheaters to see how he catches them and then try to come up with a new method to work around it? I don't think so! I am so sick of seeing all these cheaters and then demanding "proof" when they get caught.

I am a member of many affiliate programs and networks. Been working with them for nearly 4 years now, made a stash of cash. Not one time have I ever been accused of fraud. Why? Because I don't even think about trying it cause I am a good boy

quote:
    I don't see the "relevance" here

quote:
    I just wish he'd stop suggesting on who's doing the fraud, unless he has proof.
    I'm sorry, I missed the part where he actually accused an individual. Can you point it out to me?

ABW Ambassador
    cjshoppingnetwork,

one definition of spamming:
    placing a banner in a message board.

as I said, it's a relative term. now let's get to your version.

if you think that paying up is not spamming, how much less spamming can it be if you own the site itself.

I own a website that has a message board on it. would you consider it spamming if I put up a banner in my very own message board?

waytogo,

i also would like to know where I am suggesting who committing fraud?

i think i said up there something about "i can't be sure...etc..."

i also asked a question...which is...at what point is it proof? 5% 10% 90% ... what do you think? what would you do if it were you as a merchant....would you continue to do business with someone who sent you 90% fraud orders? 50% 10% ...whats your number?

Thanks,

-Brian Littleton
    brian@shareasale.com

On the message board thing...

I have received emails from "Owners" of message boards, asking if they can post affiliate banners in their forum. The answer is yes, of course. When you own a message board, you are allowed to advertise with it....

The rule against message boards is for affiliate URLs spammed inside messages, stuff that you guys have all seen and is easily identified as

Thanks,

-Brian Littleton
    brian@shareasale.com

ABW Ambassador
    Winterpeg, the Mosquito Capital of Canada
    Personally if a legit complaint is being made why would you air it out in a public forum before even approaching the people involved?
    Find the answer from the network or merchant first.
    If it isn't resolved than this place can be a great place you to consult people in here about the problem afterwards. Not the place to post if you had't even bothered to e mail or communicate with the proper people to start.

WW

Make a difference! Support your local Cancer Care providers.

Alot of people will try to post in a forum to try to make the network look bad...or "get back" at them.

ABW Ambassador
    quote:
    Originally posted by shareasale:
    ..but at what percentage do things become your fault?

... at 90% i would think it is pretty easy to say that something the affiliate is doing is fishy. i can't say for sure of course....<b>but we aren't talking about 9 out of 10 here</b>...a bigger sample is an even stronger 90%...

Brian
    As i've said in my other posts, there are things that affiliates have no control over, like, if some prankster is on their site, doing all the fraud orders. so even if it is 100%, i'll say you still can't be sure that it's the affiliate doing the fraud. (your own threshold seems to be between 90% and 100%)

how you react to an overwhelming fraudulent orders is, as i've said, your call. so no disagreement here regarding your judgment. I concur, it's a tough decision to make.

BTW, thanks for your clarification about spamming in message boards.

ABW Ambassador
    Off topic a bit cause "it sho aint help" but I'm amazed at the number of emails I get from foreigners "mostly from Afganistan" that want to buy something but not themselves. They are perfectly willing to give you the credit card info for you to order it and then send it to them.

I have never placed an order like that and sure won't. No way am I going to be entering fraudulent credit card transactions for somebody!

Two thoughts ...

1) Walleye is right on target. Airing these types of things on the boards is rarely productive. It comes across as a smear campaign.

2) The rules are simple. Follow them.

= + +

Karl Smith
    phillyBurbs - Your Internet Starts Here

OK, I don't want to be thought of as sticking up for spam but just trying to clarify something. If a person uses a link to their own site and someone goes there and sees something of interest and then goes to the merchant site, I don't think the merchant will kick you out. I think it is just if you use an affiliate link that goes directly to the merchant site in your signiture that gets you in trouble. Am I wrong about this?

The Wolf Credo: Respect the elders. Teach the young. Cooperate with the pack. Play when you can. Hunt when you must. Rest in between. Share your affections. Voice your feelings. Leave your mark.

24. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread