Hi Everyone,

We need help with the Sharasale Merchant program.

On Monday, we signed up as a merchant with Shareasale. However, we require assistance in integrating the Sharasale tracking code into our shopping cart system - X-cart. Per the instructions in the set up, we sent an e-mail requesting assistance to shareasale@shareasale.com.

When we didn't receive a response after 24 hours, we also sent an e-mail to Brian at blittleton@shareasale.com. Unfortunately, another 24 hours has past, and we still have not received a response from anyone.

At this point, we are extremely disheartened and disappointed at the fact that we have not received any response. We are also a bit concerned by this.

Any insight into resolving this issue is greatly appreciated.

Maria

Domain Addict / Formerly known as elbowcreek Thomas A. Rice's Avatar
    Shareasale and Brian are a first rate program, though he might get stretched a little thin on occasion. Overall, my experience as a newbie merchant with sas was terrific, so hang in there!

A page a day keeps the creditors away.....

Which Credit card processing service do you use?

YOURsoft affiliate software
    Join YOURsoft "affiliate program for affiliate software"!

Hi c4,

We're using ECHO payment processing.

TIA,
    Maria

Hi elbowcreek,

Thanks for your response. The reason we chose Shareasale was because of the great reputation they have on this board and also on other affiliate-related message boards.

I'm sure everything will work out. It can just be a bit fristrating and disconcerting when you are trying to proceed with an affiliate program and reach an impass.

Maria

ShareASale President/CEO and ABW Veteran Brian - ShareASale's Avatar
    Maria,

We are swamped, and i mean swamped with troubles from the sobig and welchia and blaster worm viruses... due to the fact that our email address is in soooo many peoples address books - we get this thing a zillion times, and it causes troubles in getting emails due to the protections that we have in place for getting emails, etc...

if you can PM me your stuff on this message board i will try to help out ... and i am still...yes, still...trying to retrieve all of my messages from the weekend, and the last couple of days - so not all emails have been received or responded to...

Thanks,

-Brian Littleton
    -Owner/Operator Shareasale.com
    brian@shareasale.com

Hi Brian,

Thanks for your response. I'll send a PM with our info now.

Maria

i signed up as a merchant awhile back and after finding out that with a paypal cart you have to do IPN for it, i contacted sas and was told i have to pay $75 a hour for them to help me...

so, my program sits there and my deposit sits there. i thought about switching it to CPC, but ive heard too many horror stories about that and it is a sales site anyways.

im really confused because on the SAS site it clearly states:

There are NO technical requirements, and shareasale.com will help you get the software running on your site, free of charge. If we can't get it running in 2 weeks (usually takes only an hour), we'll refund all of your money, AND take you out for ice cream. (Note: Chicago Area only)

they will have you up and running in a short time!

but in an email from them they said:

You will need to use the IPN from Paypal in the best case, so that you only
    have to place the tracking code on one page - and it can automatically work
    for all products...

If you don't have a technical person there who can setup the IPN (Paypal)
    for you - we can do that work for you at $75 an hour through our partner, it
    typically takes 2-4 hours to setup - depending on your site.

as a newbie merchant, i wish i had known that upfront! it is very confusing to read in one place that it is free, then be told it is 75.00 per hour! as it goes right now, no one is making any money from my program because there is no program!

does anyone here know how to do IPN?

We are swamped, and i mean swamped with troubles from the sobig and welchia and blaster worm viruses... due to the fact that our email address is in soooo many peoples address books - we get this thing a zillion times, and it causes troubles in getting emails due to the protections that we have in place for getting emails, etc...

Brian. I have been swamped too with the blaster,sobig and Welchia virus too, Really a pain in the a** hope everything turns out okay.

xtremeshopping.org: making a difference all over the world!

Hello BigTop,

Sorry to hear of your difficulties in getting your SAS account started. I know that Brian runs a first rate tracking service and the fees are extremely low in comparison to other affiliate tracking services.

I think that your confusion of SAS wanting a fee for setting up your PayPal IPN as contradicting it's offer of free setup lies within your own ability to set up your PayPal IPN.

All the IPN is in broken down english ... is really a verified business account at PayPal that has code snippets you use on your site that allows the IPN to manage such things as purchase/account transfers, membership periods, passwords, product delivery, etc.

The SAS "free" setup help concerning your merchant cart ability would most likely be in the form of telling you where to place your image pixel for tracking referrals made from the SAS link and if not tracking properly ... find out why.

To ask them to setup your complete merchant cart on top of the already low price affiliate tracking service is a bit much don't you think?

As Brian said, it averages about 1 1/2 to 3 hours to setup an IPN and fully test it with SAS (or other service) tracking.

Brians rate of $75.00 is actually a very fair price not knowing if your setup could take even more hours than normal. You would be amazed at how long some setups take with unknown / uncommon issues arising during the setup.

When we setup any carts ... it's definately by the hour rate and not a set fee because of unknown issues that may arise.

Ray Thomas
    DesignerWiz.com CEO
    Development Resource & Javascript Public Archive Center
    http://DesignerWiz.com
    ABW Board: Category: Programming / Coding

hello ray and thanks for the response!

as the email said, it is $75 per hour!

do i think someone isnt worth $75.00 per hour?? of course i do!

its just that a normal person, or in this case, someone like me, goes to sign up as a merchant, reads how easy it is and that SAS is going to help for free if need be, and you see NO mention of paypal/IPN issues and one assumes that this will be in fact, easy!

the truth is, i have NO idea what IPN (instant payment notifiaction) is, or why i even need it?? i have a cart (actually im redoing the site and the cart as we speak) so maybe im just misunderstanding something?

do i HAVE to use IPN? what do other people do who do not use paypal carts?? i am selling products, as assumably other merchants are. what do other paypal merchants do about this?

it is my understanding that there has to be this IPN in order for the tracking to work??

im lost!

thanks!

ps ive used paypals carts for a long time, ive sold product, iev taken subscriptions, ive sold services, ive done auctions, ive NEVER had to do IPN! i geus that is whats getting to me here! can someone tell me WHY i need IPN now? just for the affiliate program?

thanks again!

Hello BigTop,

The IPN would be used to know what to do and/or how to deliver the product/service with the purchase made and what to deliver the purchaser either in message/link/combo of both after successful purchase.

SAS tracking service is just that .. a service that tracks who referred the sale and credit that referrer for the lead. In most cases when a service has decided that it is ready to launch an affiliate program it already has a pre-established cart usually in place (not always).

I'm not wanting to post lower pricing options for an IPN setup here, but I did a quick keyword search to provide you with a little information on the subject.

Lot's of useful info on IPN:
    http://www.google.com/search?sourcei...8&q=paypal+IPN

How to use a PayPal IPN with your e-commerce site:
    http://gotany.com/cgi/paypalipn.html?from=paypalipn

A PayPal IPN forum:
    http://www.paypalipn.com/board/cgi-bin/forum_show.html

Ray Thomas
    DesignerWiz.com CEO
    Development Resource & Javascript Public Archive Center
    http://DesignerWiz.com
    ABW Board: Category: Programming / Coding

thanks again ray, ill check out those links.

im still not sure why SAS requires this IPN, but then again, i never claimed to be the most technical person in earth either!

since im changing servers, adding products and making a new site all together, i guess this is good timing all the way around!

ps sorry if i sounded more than frustrated before, i just didnt understand the need for it. it was the first i had ever heard of this!

BigTop....

I apologize if it is misleading...i'll try to rework the wording...but the "No Technical Requirements" .. to me means that you don't have to have anything specific... i.e., your host doesn't have to be windows, unix, dos , etc... and you don't HAVE to use any specific cart...etc...

The reason you need IPN if you are using paypal is simple...

Without it - the customer ends his visit on your site on the PAYPAL website - where you cannot place any shareasale.com tracking code....unless you have a better relationship with paypal than I do.

With IPN - Paypal returns the visitor to your site - where your shopping cart can receive the two necessary variables (the amount of sale and the order ID) and display them on a page ... IPN also allows you to do all kinds of other good stuff because it allows your site to know that an order was completed and payed for... prior to that the only note you would receive would be from Paypal ... IPN opens up the door for a much more interactive site...

Once you have IPN setup and working back to your site - that is where the shareasale.com tracking code comes into play - and we will certainly help you install the code and help you figure out what to do there... However, if we were to help (for free) setting up IPN, we would be basically setting up peoples shopping sites, coding things that have nothing to do with shareasale.com , etc..

Thanks,

-Brian Littleton
    brian@shareasale.com

Hi,

I just wanted to chime in and say that Brian was very responsive in assisting with the resolution of the problem we were experiencing. Additionally, he was lightning fast in addressing a second issue we had.

THANKS BRIAN!

Now if we could just get our creatives completed...we'd be good to go...

Maria

hello and thanks for the response brian.

i guess my point was that i use paypal for my cart and i have no problems with it. it takes orders and notifies me when i have orders.

in other words, i havent needed IPN so the only reason why i have to get IPN is just so i can have an affiliate program??

yes, IPN may have other benefits, but i dont think im willing to spend another $300 bucks for that!

also, paypal DOES send the user back to my site to a URL i designate!

"""However, if we were to help (for free) setting up IPN, we would be basically setting up peoples shopping sites, coding things that have nothing to do with shareasale.com , etc"""

well, i didnt ask anyone to set up my site! and apparently there are technical requirements and also it does have to do with SAS cuz without it, i can still run my cart, but can not get a merchant program going!

can i be the only person who has had this problem?? there must be many others who have paypal carts!

BigTop,

If you can figure out a way to display the total amount of the sale, along with an order number - on the page that paypal redirects your visitors to after a sale - then you don't need IPN.... however - i wouldn't spend too much time on it - cause that is why they created IPN - as it isn't possible without it...

They give you code examples, and with some knowledge of your site's language - shouldn't be a very long setup. they have examples in .php, .cfm, .asp, and perl...

Paypal can send visitors back to your site without it - sure .... but it is just to an unprotected URL and anyone could just hit it and ring up commissions -

The fact is that without IPN - Paypal isn't really a shopping cart solution - it is a substitution... without it - your site has no idea if a payment went through, or if a product was purchased at all...only Paypal knows...

It isn't just SAS that this would be an issue with. Without IPN, you could not run an affiliate program on almost any affiliate network...

Thanks,

-Brian Littleton
    brian@shareasale.com

[This message was edited by shareasale on September 12, 2003 at 03:21 PM.]

Good info Brian

thanks!

------------------------------
    What does the COC stand for? Crooks Overwriting Commissions.
    Don't worry! Tracking is infected!
    ------------------------------
    Love Life to the fullest. we only get ONE chance! :-) !

quote:
    Originally posted by shareasale:
    BigTop,

Paypal isn't really a shopping cart solution - it is a substitution...

-Brian Littleton

can i quote you on that!

actually, thats a great catch phrase!

thanks for your response!

quote:
    can i quote you on that!

I suppose. there isn't anything wrong with using paypal "cart" to do business - if it is working for you than obviously it has its benefits.

but it is severly restrained in what it can do - even with IPN - it is still mainly a PAYMENT option or solution...

Thanks,

-Brian Littleton
    brian@shareasale.com

21. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread