Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Defender of Truth, Justice and the Affiliate Way
    They have some outfit out of FL spamming like crazy with a holiday ad. I've gotten well over 300 in a couple of hours to one domain name. I just deleted to first 100 or so, but when I saw they were showing no sign of letting up I just got very annoyed with the amount of spam coming through my business account of late.

Now I'm downloading all of their spam and BodyCandy is getting a forwarded copy of each and every one to their sales email address.

I will also be calling them later today if they are in.

I have no use for a Merchant that spams like this.

quote:
    Originally posted by AFP aka Ms. B:
    Now I'm downloading all of their spam and BodyCandy is getting a forwarded copy of each and every one to their sales email address.

Yep, thats the way to do it. Let them taste their own medicine.
    <DT>[size=1][color=navy]"The best measure of a man's honesty isn't his income tax return.[/color][/size]<DT>[size=1][color=navy]It's the zero adjust on his bathroom scale." Arthur C. Clark[/color][/size]</DT>

They are up to having sent me 380 emails this am with a new wave of them starting to come in.

I've called them several times with only voicemail. I did leave voicemail once.

Let's see...what is that fine amount per instance? And then the additional penatlities if they Internet harvest and use the automatic dictionary generation of eamil names which is what they are doing.

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    They probably employed the CJ spam machine along with the CJ SEO/SEM team to drive traffic to their web site
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

Well someone from BodyCandy did call me back. They say they don't recognize the name of the company sending out the emails. But it seems to be a fake name as nothing is showing in Google for it and the snail mail address is a private mailbox place.

The BodyCandy emails seem to stopped at just shy of 400. Now I'm getting ones for PrintPal from the same folks.

Maybe if I keep raising a fuss with all the Merchants they are sending emails for they will eventually take my domain off their list.

My all time favorite things:

1. SPAM.
    2. Cat Piss (no it's not pee) on my rug.
    3. Stepping in dog sh*t with my new tennis shoes.

Fred

I am not sure if this is the case, but my client, coffeeforless.com at CJ has been having several reports of an affiliate who is allegedly spamming on behalf of CoffeeForLess using his affiliate link. We have told him repeatedly to stop and its now in the hands of CJ and if it is not taken care of by them it will probably be in the hands of the authorities.

He admitted in an email that this is the way he does things and that if my client did not want his partnership than he would find other CJ advertisers to rep for so maybe he has moved on to bodycandy?

Just a thought that maybe its not the advertiser but an affiliate doing the dirty work.
    Lizabeth Sorensen
    Affiliate Program Consultant
    lizATemerchantconsultingDOTCOM
    www.emerchantconsulting.com
    518-233-7431 EST.

I finally whoised the domain they are all coming from....turns out OptInRealBig (CPAEmpire). They just are using a different name now in the 'contact' info part of the email that 'complies' with CanSpam law. I should have known.

Missy keep them coming for me, it's $10 a pop for each one received in this state and I'm up to over $5k for today.

ABW Ambassador
    But you must be mistaken, CPA empire is a quality company that would never spam. Just ask shawn collins...

I was getting cpaempire spam for petcarerx for awhile. Linkshare did absolutely nothing about it. surprise surprise. And petcarerx just got pissy with me for reporting it.

I like when you contact the networks about spammers, all of a sudden they get stupid, "What is this thing called email again!?!?! World wide what?"

Chet

LOL Chet. I have 1043 emails sitting in my mailbox all to the same domain in a 24 hour period to prove otherwise on the spammer status of OptInRealBig.

As far as the Networks, I don't see them doing anything or probably even being able to do anything if their Merchants are hooking up with a spamming outfit and it's not their (the Networks) tracking in the emails. However, I do think that it should be of interest to affs if their Merchants are engaging in spamming tactics. Another consideration some affs may want to take into consideration when deciding on partnerships. Especially those Merchants whose own 'advertising' efforts supercede an affs cookie. I may want to throw up some trap email addresses and start documenting this for affs.

Hired gun spammers=Cookie Washers Ms.B now uncovers both the Cookie Stuffers and the Cookie washers. Both most likely used by the same merchants who can't convert worth a hoot for honest affiliates....but brag about their sales rising every quarter.

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

A touchy subject. Domain names used for spamming.

I have it happen to three of my domains that I know about. The SPAMMER signs up through the affiliate network using my domains, and information gathered through our "contact us" link or Whois.

Then once they are accepted, which is easy, the apply to the merchants. The Merchant checks out our site, and accepted the application.

At this point the spammer is ready to go.. they have all the Merchant tracking links, and my domains to use in spamming.. they do not care out bounce back email because it holds zero interest to them.. OH yes, I forgot they go in and edit the information about where the Merchant is to send the check.

Results??

My domains are black balled because of spamming (which we do not do), people send us email cussing us out, we lose creditability, the Merchant makes some sales, and they send the check to the SPAMMER.. thinking they are sending it to us. Everyone wins but the owner of the domain names.

It is not pretty, and it costs us business due to traffic loss from everyone being mad at us, and we are not any party to the SPAMMING or getting paid..

I am sure it has happened to thousands of other domains.. so when you get mad at the SPAMMER be sure you target the right source to be mad at..

I am sure their are others that are more qualified in this are, but this is my experience, and I hope it helps.

As if you couldn't ream the merchants in the spam campaigns for real damages and legally force the networks to devulge where the checks were sent too!

I like traffic lights
    Southern hemisphere - away from Fukushima
    Yes. As always, FOLLOW THE MONEY.

They can spoof everything, apart from where the money goes to - that bit they care about.

eMerchant Consulting said:

"We have told him repeatedly to stop and its now in the hands of CJ and if it is not taken care of by them it will probably be in the hands of the authorities."

Just curious, but why would your client wait for the network? Why not just can them right away, it sounded like you had the evidence you needed?

I'm not trying to give you a heard time, I'm just curious.

Fred

Mike @ Charlie

Mike And Charlie,

You said,

"As if you couldn't ream the merchants in the spam campaigns for real damages and legally force the networks to devulge where the checks were sent too!"

The Merchants are not even aware they are being used to SPAM. All they do is strip out the tracking code.

The checks.. yes no problem tracing them once you find out your domain has been used in this method. By then the SPAMMER is using another domain.

The SPAM goes out in bulk from the SPAMMER not the Merchant. The link with tracking code goes to the landing page of the Merchant.

Another use of this is that they charge up merchandise using stolen credit cards.

The black eye comes back to the owner of the domain..

Lastly what do mean legally, and what cost to the person owning the domain.

I hope this help, others are more qualified than me to comment.

Drewbert,

Once you find out where the money went how do you get it back??

You don't I base my comment on experience.

Buy_Online,

I deactivated the affiliate right away after we were shown 3 complaints and more coming in since. However in CJ its called "expiring" a publisher and it happens 7 days after you put in your request to "expire" them. There is no immediate deactivation. I contacted our Rep by phone at CJ and network quality with all evidence and information and the publisher is still not 100% deactivated as they say they need to investigate.

This was all basically at the 11th hour before the Thanksgiving recess by CJ so because of that and the weekend it is still in process.

Trust me, my client was waiting for no one but CJ's system to get rid of this publisher.
    Lizabeth Sorensen
    518-233-7431 EST.

I like traffic lights
    Southern hemisphere - away from Fukushima
    quote:
    Originally posted by DirtyDawg:
    Drewbert,

Once you find out where the money went how do you get it back??

You don't I base my comment on experience.

I wasn't talking about getting hte money back, although the merchant/affiliate contract should cover that via a civil action.

I was talking about throwing GWB's wildly successful CANSPAM Act at them.

I am sure you mean this tongue and cheek humor..

"I was talking about throwing GWB's wildly successful CANSPAM Act at them."

The Internet, as I see it through my eyes, succeed because the lack of Government involvement. Rules and regulations.. No matter how well intended negatively impact the good guys like you and me. The ones like I am describing to you are not impacted by the Laws of this Country.

The enforcement must come from those of us that use the Internet as a business. We can do it, but it takes cooperation. Sadly not many Companies want to deal with the problems, Commission Junction/ BeFree/ Value Click turn blind eye.

Of course I only offer my opinion, and others are certainly more qualified to respond. My opinions are not intended to offend anyone, but to help in an open forum.

Kind Regards

quote:
    Originally posted by eMerchant Consulting:
    Buy_Online,

I deactivated the affiliate right away after we were shown 3 complaints and more coming in since. However in CJ its called "expiring" a publisher and it happens 7 days after you put in your request to "expire" them.

That's one of the really annoying things about the 7 day expiration. I understand that - in general - publishers need time to remove and/or replace links if you're expiring them out of the program, but there should be a faster response when there is blatant abuse.

Yes well now they (CJ) has sent me an email saying

"we have asked the publisher to stop, is that good enough"?

HA- i said no its not "good enough" I want them OUT.

What part of "spammer" or "complaint" or "NO" do people not understand LOL.
    Lizabeth Sorensen
    518-233-7431 EST.

Gotta love it.

"We've asked them nicely to stop, is that good enough....."

Way to be proactive to protect your merchants and publishers...

quote:
    to protect your merchants and publishers...

well, protect the incoming bux anyway

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast