I received an email from a merchant which I copied below because I don't want to take anything out of context. I think I might be misunderstanding what is being said. My website which has content & info as well as contains links to merchants or their products. If the merchant has changed a price or offer wouldn't their page reflect? I list no prices at all on my website for this merchant, I just link to their product or general page. If their resulting page has a wrong price how could I be responsible as I assume that a no longer valid page/offer would not exist as the merchant removes the page or redirects. Wouldn't a merchant also just make this an expired link?

I am not quite understanding what happened and do not feel comfortable contacting this merchant because of the tone of the email. For now I replaced all the links to this merchant but how do I avoid this problem in future?
    Also I'd like to hear some opinions as to the letter, I'd like to know if I am just too new and sensitive.

Email rec'd
    "We will no longer except orders from you as an affiliate unless you update our static page (pages) listed on your website.
    We do not appriciate orders from a static page copy of a page from our web site as they tend not to be updated as yours has not been.
    I don't like the fact that someone else is setting my selling prices if these are left unchecked for updates.
    You must update this page immediately (within three days)"
    Melanie
    President - Affiliate Advocacy 2008 ShareaSale Performance Industry Advocate Award, 2009 Affiliate Summit Pinnacle Award - Affiliate Advocate
    Affiliate Advocacy
    NYAffiliateVoice Seery Writing

This sounds like a 2 tier issue.
    ie. You promote a site that has products for another site. The site in the middle has the wrong prices and should have received this email...

either way, I think I would drop them like a hot potato(e)

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    I'm guilty of putting prices on products as I first place up the individual product links. I don't want a click going to the merchant without first price filtering the potential buyer. I try to cater to shoppers looking for the " Good Stuff-Cheap!". Over the years I find the good stuff either gets sold out quick...or the orignal sale price usually lowers to closeout status. So what if on my front page the Sony Computer combo went from $1249.00 to $1199 when the shopper clicks through to get a reverse sticker shock. If they didn't have 1200.00 to spend on a great 'puter then they shouldn't click screwing up my CTR ratio
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

Mellie,

Hi and Welcome to ABW!

It sounds like you copied the merchant's dynamic page (meaning that it's database generated) and pasted that on your site and as a result the people who buy through your links are complaining about the price difference (many do). The price difference would be because the merchant updates the pricing via the database and you would have to do it manually, if you were to update the page/site.

One of the most frequent complaints that honest merchants get is the pricing discrepancies from affiliate sites and to be honest with you all I have to side with the merchant on this one. If your not going to update the site at least take the price off and use a click here to get more information or for pricing click here - boom you've done the job - sent the merchant qualified traffic, but when you don't update your page(s)/site(s) your only doing yourself a disservice and giving the merchant more of a headache and you can bet a blemish on a merchant eval form like bizrate or yahoo shopping.

So, don't use pricing if your not going to update them, static or dynamic sites, it doesn't matter!
    Continued Success,

Haiko
    The secret of success is constancy of purpose ~ Disraeli

Or they could be confusing you with someone else. Have them send you the URL of the page in question.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Thanks all. I am still a little confused. I list no prices. For this merchant I only had 3 text links; 2 were products (without prices on my end just linking to their product page) and 1 generic home page link. I copied nothing from the merchant, other than the link that was generated thru my cj account.

I chose not to list prices since I am new to am and figured it would be easier while learning. Besides watching for expired links do I need to check for updated links and is that a manual process?

How do I determine if it's a two teir program?

The help manual at cj is not working so I can't research this there. I really appreciate everyone's help!
    The more I learn the more I need to learn!
    Melanie
    President - Affiliate Advocacy 2008 ShareaSale Performance Industry Advocate Award, 2009 Affiliate Summit Pinnacle Award - Affiliate Advocate
    Affiliate Advocacy

Forgot to say thanks for the welcome Haiko

I think I will email them with that question Michael. I was a little leary about emailing them at first since they seemed so annoyed with me. I figured it would be better for me to try and understand what I've done wrong a little more and then contact them.
    Melanie
    Affiliate Advocacy

A merchant should be overjoyed with a responsive affiliate, not annoyed. If they respond negatively to you, look for a better merchant to replace them. There are lots of great merchnats here on ABW!
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Well I emailed the merchant.

I think the problem is with their product linking code. I just checked the new link to one of their products, a link fresh from my cj "get links section. What's happening is the link leads to a filled in shopping cart rather than to their product info page.
    These are low ticket items so we're not talking a lot of money but I sure would like to get this cleared up.

At least I now know what the problem is on my end anyway.
    I'll post back what I hear from the merchant.

Melanie
    Affiliate Advocacy

quote:
    Originally posted by Mellie:
    I figured it would be better for me to try and understand what I've done wrong a little more and then contact them.

Thats the best thing to do. If they have accused you of something you are not doing then they should be corrected and informed. If you have unknowingly done something and you are unaware of it their reply will clear the matter for you. In both cases its best to contact them. Dont worry about annoying them its your right to get the clarificatoin.
    <DT>[size=1][color=navy]"The best measure of a man's honesty isn't his income tax return.[/color][/size]<DT>[size=1][color=navy]It's the zero adjust on his bathroom scale." Arthur C. Clark[/color][/size]</DT>

The slot machine that IS paid! Billy Kay's Avatar
    Welcome Mellie,

Of the zillions of things that go into being a succesfull aff, one of the most important is...

a relationship with the aff manager

without a good relationship between you and him/her, there's only so far you can go

There's a bunch a presents under our tree made out to my son, Jesse - and they're all from AMs. (Mentioned only to show that I'm tight with the merchants I promote to the extent they know my son's name!)

Moral of story:
    NEVER be afraid to contact the AM.

Never be intimidated by an AM.

Seek out the good ones.

Best of luck to you...
    Billy

Thanks again. I received a reply back from the merchant who was very nice and will look into the product link concern and get back to me. I am glad I followed your advice everyone! I feel better just knowing they realize I am not doing any pricing tricks/misdeeds. I may never be the greatest seller but I am honest lol

And thanks for all the kind & encouraging words and the welcomes. I certainly learn a lot here and hope I can contribute very soon. I may have registered here over a year ago but only started doing am this past Aug/Sept.

Happy Holidays!
    Melanie
    Affiliate Advocacy

Great advice given, and I'm glad the problem will be resolved and Mellie ... as an honest affiliate - never fear anything, just keep selling (and asking when needed) :tumbsup:
    Continued Success,

Haiko
    The secret of success is constancy of purpose ~ Disraeli

14. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread