I am still on a learning curve and have spoken with a number of affiliates with shareasale, and I am wondering why affiliates don't like merchants to use paypal?

I started on my site with a pay-pal shopping cart and the feedback I received said to dump the pay-pal shopping cart. I have been using pay-pal to receive payments for three years and have had about 300 transactions with them through online auctions.

I have never had a problem with them as far as refunds or reciving funds, etc. Please tell me why so many merchants and affiliates are against them?

I can see the merchants saying the fees might be too high if you are selling volume, but for a starter, it might be more affordable than yahoo shopping cart.

When I looked at getting Yahoo shopping cart, they charge a monthly fee, then 1.5% per transaction and then you still have to get a merchant account to process credit cards which
    will also take a few percent.

With Pay-pal, I thought I can eliminate the middle-man (Yahoo) and make the transactions take place in one step by using a Pay-pal shopping cart. I already noticed that some people use a Yahoo shopping cart and then use Pay-pal as their credit card processor anyway.

I was about to start an affiliate program with a Pay-PAl cart because I have been comfortable with them for three years, but I am hesitant now that people are saying they are no good.

Do people think it will prevent sales? Because I am planning on having a phone number available on my site with a script that would state the affiliate number of the refferer, in case I get telephone sales as well. This way Affiliates always get credit even for telephone sales.

Somebody, please clarify this issue for me!

Thanks,
    R. Lupu

15 years and counting
    I've a Pay Pal account. I like it. Never had a problem but I'm getting 5 to 10 spam emails a day from crooks spoofing their email headers. It's getting on my nerves. I imagine I'm not alone.
    quote:
    Dear PayPal member,
    We regret to inform you that your account is about to be expired in next five business days. To avoid suspension of your account you have to reactivate it by providing us with your personal information...

It's not the big that eat the small... it's the fast that eat the slow. Jennings & Haughton

Paypal is fine as long as you never get a complaint or refuse a refund. If you have $30,000 in your account and there is a $30 dispute, they will freeze your whole account until it is settled (ie: you cough up the bucks) and it can sometimes take months to streighten out. Unbelievable, isn't it? Call them and ask them yourself about this policy. I did because I didn't believe it, either.

Mr.Merchant, if you do business in any way what-so-ever with parasites, your products will not be sold on my sites!!

Farewell, CJ! I loved you when you were young and pure. I will try to remember you that way. Disclaimer: Comments are to be interpreted as opinion unless otherwise noted.

What SSanf said is very true. I had one problem with them once and they froze the entire account and it took more then a month to get it up again. Now I never leave more then $100 on the account, each week I transfer funds to my bank account.

YOURsoft affiliate software
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    A good parasite is a dead parasite. Screw it up and you're screwed!
    Save your affiliate program, save your earnings; Fight ParasiteWareâ„¢!
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

http://www.paypalsucks.com/

The URL above will give you something to think about.

ABW Ambassador
    Get a real merchant account, and see it is pretty much the same as paypal. The paypal sucks link is kids not understanding the one rule for all merchants. In payment disputes, or payment fraud, the merchant is always wrong.

Paypal is just their first taste of this, that is why they are so outraged. I have used paypal for business for years, contested refunds, given refunds etc - never had my account frozen, never had any problems.

Chet

Chet

Although PayPal is great for Ebay and very, very small online businesses, it's not good for larger business, IMHO, for the reasons others have listed and more.

1) It seems very unprofessional and amateur, especially if it's the only option. Most sites that only accept PayPal are very small amateur sites. Most people are hesitant to buy from any site that doesn't appear to be a large, established company. From an affiliate perspective, that hurts conversion ratios and EPC.

2) I'm not sure if it's fixed, but there were problems in the past with affiliates getting credit for PayPal sales. For most affiliate programs, the tracking is done through an IMG tag on the confirmation page. When you pay through PayPal, you have to (or had to) click on an extra link that said something like "Press Here to Continue". If you didn't click there, you never saw the confirmation page and the affiliate didn't get credit.

Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com

No yahoo store are open with just paypal as the processor. If they are doing that yahoo will catch them and shut them down real soon. You can only offer it as an alternate payment source not as your only processor.

Yahoo only charges .75% if you step up to the bigger account. You can also get a account that charges 1% that is where I would recommend you start with them. The $39 cart does not have IP tracking among other things.

As far as 300 transactions I was doing more than that a month before I started my affiliate program. I think you are underestimating the power of the internet. Most of the people that shop online do not shop on eBay. I would even go as far as to say the average internet shopper hates eBay.

I am not sure but I don't think you can install the SAS tracking or any other tracking on a pay-pal cart anyway.

I think your products are good but I also think you are thinking small when your affiliates are going to think big. They will do everything they can to send you 1,000 orders a day. I am not saying they will send you 1,000 orders a day but it will not be for lack of effort on their part.

Bob Rawley
    www.dimout.com

Transferring it to your bank account does not protect you. You gave them permission to go into your bank account and take what they want. You need a separate acct for them and to empty that account frequently or at least don't keep any more money in it than you are willing to risk.

Mr.Merchant, if you do business in any way what-so-ever with parasites, your products will not be sold on my sites!!

Farewell, CJ! I loved you when you were young and pure. I will try to remember you that way. Disclaimer: Comments are to be interpreted as opinion unless otherwise noted.

[This message was edited by SSanf on December 14, 2003 at 11:20 AM.]

ABW Ambassador
    quote:
    I would even go as far as to say the average internet shopper hates eBay.

Whhaaaaaaattttt????

11. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread