Hello, my name is Brian, and I am the affiliate manager (among other things) for MyButcher.com, a high end steak retailer. We cater to individuals both buying for themselves and also those looking for gourmet gifts (almost half our orders are gifts).

We finished the setup of our shareasale program today, which is our first affiliate program. We are currently offering 16% + 60 day cookies.

Although our site converts search engine traffic fairly well (better than 1 out of 100 visits) and our average order is over $100, we decided to offer a relatively high commission rate for two reasons:

1. We want to grow our affiliate network quickly.

2. We have a toll free number on our site which gives us about 6% of our orders.

So we are thinking that we would rather give you all a higher commission rate to make up for the toll free number rather than go to the trouble of redesigning the look and functionality of our site in order to provide tracking for phone orders.

But since we are relative newbies at this particular form of sales generation, we want to hear your feedback! I hope we can keep this thread regularly updated with tips and ideas from both sides of the process.

We especially at this point are interested in hearing what ideas you have for better banners and links. Tell us what you need, and we will work on making it happen!

Brian - MyButcher.com Affiliate Manager
    Brian@MyButcher.com
    Our shareasale offer

quote:
    So we are thinking that we would rather give you all a higher commission rate to make up for the toll free number rather than go to the trouble of redesigning the look and functionality of our site in order to provide tracking for phone orders.

A lot of us don't agree with that sentiment. If we are sending you business you should make a maximum effort to find out who sent it to you.

_____
    I earned something? Who screwed up?

Brian:

As soon as I saw your program on SaS, I signed up right away. It will make a nice cornerstone for upcoming shopping initiative.

I have to agree with Herb, however, about the 800# concern.

I suggest you contact Linda from 5-Star Affiliate Programs. She's helped two merchants set up 800# tracking. You can read the thread about Irv's Luggage by clicking here.

OT ... I'm psyched to see you carry buffalo steaks! I hope our "grilling" weather holds out for a few more weeks!

Thanks,

Karl Smith
    phillyBurbs - Your Internet Starts Here
    ---------
    Beware Parasiteware!
    [What is Parasiteware? click here to learn more]

Thanks for the ideas, we will definitely look into it with our store software provider. It probably would not cost much to implement, although I'm not completely liking how it would look

Anyone out there have any other links or info on possible ways to implement 800 number tracking?

Our phone orders currently are around 5 or 6% of our total orders, and surprisingly don't seem to have an average dollar size higher than usual.

Brian@MyButcher.com
    Our shareasale offer

ABW Ambassador
    I believe Shareasale itself has a method of implementing 800 number tracking. Brian should be able to help out on this.

Search Engine Positioning - 1 Design 4 Life

Hey folks,

16% commission is not un-generous...

Brian's offering is one of the most up-front, no-nonsense I've seen.

He is offering a high commission to offset the fact that ca. 6% of sales come from non-tracked telephone orders.

Seems fair to me.

If we want to complain about unfair merchants and networks and parasites we ought to give goodwill a chance when we see it.

true: 16% is a nice number. But 16 percent of zero is still zero.

however, I'm waiting to see how they convert which is my first concern with any program.

Buffalo steaks? wish I still had my teeth.

_____
    I earned something? Who screwed up?

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    I'm with Radegast. Merchants who pay a Real Commission should be encouraged!

It's the most wonderful time of the year!~Old Christmas Song

I think the six dollar sign rating on SAS that we have achieved speaks for itself at this point.

We'll put out another affiliate newsletter soon, but I'll already say that a few weeks back we made some large changes to our site (a few of which were based on very helpful affiliate feedback) that approximately tripled our conversion rate.

Keep the good feedback coming!

Brian@MyButcher.com
    Our shareasale offer

Nice Brian! I just PM'ed ya.

Ian Lee, M.Sc.

Internet Marketing Strategist / Affiliate Manager
    EYI, Inc.
    ilee_NO_SPAM@eyi.us
    http://www.eyiproducts.com/affiliate.html
    604-596-9766

Personal Sites: ADS-Links.com | HealthCastle.com