Since 2 years ago if not mistaken CJ has some unfair discrimination to certain countries in the registration form, CJ does not includes many countries name in the country drop down menu choice.

From CJ:
    quote:
    "Commission Junction is not accepting new publisher applications from a number of countries at this time, and India is one of them. This could change in the very near future, but it involves changes to our site and service that are still under development."

The answers may not be nearly as sinister as you think.

Or it could be due the high amount of fraud from affiliates in certain countries.

Affiliate Manager AffiliateBuddha's Avatar
    TT,

I'm from one of those countries . .joined CJ before they banned them, I make a "LOT" of sales for CJ merchants by selling to US traffic. where is it written that you have to sell to consumers only from your own country?

BTW, I will agree that there is a lot of fraud in these countries, and it's best to keep only genuine people in the game. Better than banning everyone from these places, CJ should allow serious players - maybe with a different set of rules, it will only benefit them.
    Gift Shopping Zone Affiliate Program on SAS - 10% per sale with unlimited cookie duration, over 10,000 products.

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Wise protective move. Try finding 10 bookmarkable domains worth a Google shopper listing from any of those banned countries and they'll all be merchant sites. The ethics and CoC/TOS enforcement burdens of allowing the quick buck tricksters in those banned countries is more risk then the CJ Adwhore operation is willing to take.
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

ABW Ambassador
    quote:
    Since 2 years ago if not mistaken CJ has some unfair discrimination to certain countries in the registration form, CJ does not includes many countries name in the country drop down menu choice.

First of all, if you are from San Francisco, then why do you care if CJ does not allow foreigners in?

Second of all, what exactly is unfair about the policy?

I sell a downloadable product, whenever I see an order from India I cancel it straight away, I don't even bother to contact the customer to see if the order is legit, several chargebacks will do that to you!!! Its not discrimination, its looking after my interests.

Generalization of certain people to countries is a wrong deduction of logic. Even if 90% of certain countries is irresponsible, we could not say that those countries are bad, but human tend to be over generalization, even the sophisticated programmed cj could not differentiate between deduction and over generalization. And certainly discrimation is violating human rights and united nations org

Generalization of certain people to countries is a wrong deduction of logic. Even if 90% of certain countries is irresponsible, we could not say that those countries are bad, but human tend to be over generalization, even the sophisticated programmed cj could not differentiate between deduction and over generalization. And certainly discrimination is violating human rights and united nations org

I think that CJ or any other company has a right to decide who they work with. While I agree that it is sometimes unfair to judge every person for the acts of others, I think that given the statistics, it is understandable why certain countries are not accepted.

This may sound hard nosed but, unfortunately, that's the way it is.
    Life is like a dogsled team. If you ain't the lead dog, the scenery never changes.

-- Lewis Grizzard

ABW Ambassador
    Discrimination is a harsh word and should not be used lightly. Using it inappropriately only diminishes its value against those actually discriminated against.

With that said, the business decision to work with, and/or not work with certain countries is up to the company. There are obvious reasons one does this, and it includes those of fraud. If this is the case, descrimination is not the correct term. If you went about this in a business manor, rather than an obvious emotional one, you could approach CJ via email or phone call with your business plan, website, and several reasons why you should be allowed an exemption to their geographical limitations.

You could also ask them what criteria you need to overcome this restriction to get in. You have to give a little if you want to get anything here.

If you listen to my advice and follow through, odds are good you will be let in. If you continue the current path, you may not get in, or burn a bridge or two getting over there.

I think that CJ would agree that fraud could happen anywhere, whether it be in the U.S. or overseas.

However, with fraud, the most significant factor is mitigating the risk associated. Legally speaking, I think it is fair to say that mitigating fraud risk in the U.S. is easier to manage vs. an overseas or third world country.

It has to come down to the economics of doing business with those countries.

There has to be a cost in time if nothing else in dealing with those fraudulent accounts. If they are a resonably high proportion of cases, that cost can exceed the profit received from the legitimate accounts from those countries, so - dump the lot.

I used to work for an insurance company and they wouldn't even consider covering anyone from Nigeria or Thailand as the net cost of doing business with those nationals was too high and too unprofitable.

In business, there's no requirement to provide a service to all who would like it.

To become a world class operator, cj should allow all countries, maybe in the future merchant could be from those not included countries.

After analysis, found that some big countries like CHINA, INDIA, INDONESIA, MALAYSIA, RUSSIA not included but those small countries like nauru, hongkong, macao, timor leste, monaco, brunei, singapore , taiwan, eritrea, latvia, turkmenistan and twins of india: pakistan are included, even those famous for its fraud email producer : NIGERIA is included, even twice with NIGER (?where is this country).

unbelieavable how cj categorized which country is acceptable, and which country is not acceptable. Are cj only includes those countries that are ally of US ?

CHINA IS SUPER POWER IN INDUSTRIES is excluded
    MALAYSIA THE NEW ASIAN TIGER is excluded
    INDIA THE SUPER BRAIN FOR SOFTWARE ENGINEER is excluded
    INDONESIA THE BIG COUNTRY WITH BIG RESOURCES is excluded
    RUSSIA THE SUPER COUNTRY WITH SUPER HUMAN AND NATURAL RESOURCES IS EXCLUDED

so where is the fairness of cj and what rule to include and exclude. That is why it better called discrimination. Even Befree the owner of CJ does not have such discrimination policy.

ABW Ambassador
    I still don't understand how this is discrimination. What are you talking about and why do you care what business CJ does with Russia and Monaco?

ABW Ambassador
    prohost, it seems they are excluding countries that do not follow the berne convention and other international treaties on doing business.

advertiser here in Philippines, CJ just informed us that ebay decided to terminate their affiliate relationship with us...but they gave us 7 days...anyone know what is up with this...please advise...been to the ebay message board for affiliates...oohhh the pain

17. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread