I just want to be clear to you that this is not a recruiting offer. My intention for this email is to get the view of affiliates before launching an affiliate program. I am definitely new at this and will consider all advice from affiliates.

I developed a page that needs a lot of work but isn't ready to launch for another month or so as far as affiliates go. I intend on being completely honest with all affiliates involved. The page is www.masterwatchmaker.net.
    I will also remove the ebay store link once I lauch the affiliate program because of the term "leaks" which I have seen frequently on this board.

To be honest with you..I would be happy to pay commissions to affiliates because that means I am making progress with sales. The more commissions I pay out....The more money I make. Seems like a simple concept to me.

We will be offering unique new and vintage watches online. The main difference that our site offers is service from a professional watchmaker (a dying breed). All new watches are mint but even the vintage ones will be close to mint or restored by a professional watchmaker with warranties as well. I believe this wil be a good opportunity for affiliates because we would offer 10%. Most watches will cost about $300, so the potential should be quite good, and the payouts should be good.

We've done well on places like Ebay...as a hobby, and we see the huge interest when we put htings up for sale. Please let me know what you think and if you would join an affiliate program like this. In a few months we are planning to come out with our own lines of watches as well. Feedback appreciated!

Richard Lupu
    arthurlu@shaw.ca

Also, would it be smart to have standard questions in case I make a phone sale that can ask which site referred them to this sale. This way I could credit their account with the sale or is this just not done.

Feedback from affiliates are important to me because you are the guys that will be busting your but to get the sales.

Thanks...I shall await your responses.

R. Lupu

To track phone orders, you'd run a script to make a unique "priority code" to place next to your phone number, based on the referring affiliate's ID, if any.

Then simply ask for the "priority code" when you accept a phone call.

When the offline sale is made, you then manually credit the affiliate in the merchant's interface, or if your offline sales are using the same system as your online sales are, you just enter the affiliate's ID in the appropriate field..

One thing that many affiliates aren't going to like is the PayPal purchase links..

You might also want to peruse the "Becoming A Merchant" forum, there's lots of useful information in there..

--
    "The greatest good you can do for another is not just to share your riches, but to reveal to him his own." – Benjamin Disraeli
    --
    Ford Fox-body Owners Club -- http://www.ford-fox.org

Thanks for the info! What should I use other than Pay-Pal? Pay-Pal was very easy to install, and I thought because they are so well known that purchasers might be more comfortable using it. I have alot to learn before I'm ready to go.

Any reccomondations on a shopping cart?

Any thoughts on the product?

R. L.

I am a new merchant to affiliate programs but I have been selling online for about 5 years now.

Here is my 2 cents,

You will need a merchant account to get away from paypal. Trust me pay-pal sites do not convert anyway. I have done many test and I do not even offer it as a option anymore. Also paypal fees are VERY high. You may not see them as bad when you are only doing a few grand a month but when you start to put up #'s you will want that money for your self.

As far as a cart I use yahoo stores and Monster Commerce for my stores. I am also testing another that I will not name because I don't like what I see so far. If you are a rookie I would go with yahoo stores. You get a built in gate way at yahoo and at MC you will have to pay for it. Also the yahoo manager is easy to learn.

Some people buy cart scripts and run them. A good idea but I like to know my site is going to be up when someone clicks a link to it. I never use cut rate services for hosting or shopping carts that I don't know how to fix. If you are running a cart script and it crashes like scripts do you better know how to fix it or you site is down until someone that can fix it does and charges you a pretty penny to do it. Most merchants don't have time to learn to program (other than html) to fix their carts. That is why it is best to find a good place with a stable cart and 24HR tech support.

I really hate to tell you that because you are going to have to build your site all over again but you might as well know this now before you get to deep into it.

Bob Rawley
    www.dimout.com

ABW Ambassador
    Very good suggestions, Bob. It is better to start with a off-the-shelf product like Yahoo store, specially if you offer limited number of products and do not want to spend a lot of time building site from start. You pay little more with Yahoo, but they take care of the trouble.

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Three recommended choice for hosting your ecommerce catalog/cart. www.miva.com or www.americart.com or the Yahoo Stores plan.

Mike & Charlie ...

If they won't adopt and feed a bird ..flip them one! BBQ some Gator and remember to flush WhenU..

Thanks for the info guys! Looks like I will try Yahoo Stores. I will have to cancel my current hosting services so I can go with them. Another stupid question here:

How easy is it to integrate with Share-A-Sale?

Nobody has commented on the products I want to sell.....Do you think it has potential with an affiliate program...As I said above, we have done okay as a hobby on Ebay but are now ready to take a more serious step.

More comments are appreciated!

Thanks,
    R. Lupu

I have my yahoo store with SAS. It cost an extra $100.00 but not with SAS you will need to hire Don over at rtmltemplats.com to do the cart work for you.

He did my store and it works great.

When you sign up with SAS they have a link for the mod you need to use to make it work with a yahoo store.

Bob Rawley
    www.dimout.com

ShareASale President/CEO and ABW Veteran Brian - ShareASale's Avatar
    americart, miva, and yahoo all work well with Shareasale

Thanks,

-Brian Littleton
    -Owner/Operator Shareasale.com
    brian@shareasale.com

Brian will you be able to help get my Yahoo cart up and going..or do Im have to hire someone as DimOut suggests?

ShareASale President/CEO and ABW Veteran Brian - ShareASale's Avatar
    You'll need Don - rtmltemplates... it is $99

Thanks,

-Brian Littleton
    -Owner/Operator Shareasale.com
    brian@shareasale.com

I agree with most of what has been said...

As for your products... i think it a niche market... You should be able to do well...

I am diffinetly interested... in being an affilate.

I luv small niche products...

Joe

net-aholic at work.... too busy to smell the roses....

ABW Ambassador
    I looked at your site and saw missing images.
    file:///C:/WINDOWS/Desktop/Golden%20Boy6/top.jpg
    file:///C:/WINDOWS/Desktop/Golden%20Boy6/lefttop.jpg
    and
    file:///C:/WINDOWS/Desktop/Golden%20Boy6/left.jpg

Other than that and the paypal links, your site, looks like something I'd like to promote. It would be better if there were more products though. I could only find 3 products.

As an affiliate, I intend to promote watch merchants that are parasite free and who track their sales including phone sales.

I think you'd do fine with an affiliate program

Parasites are thieves. What are you going to do about it?

Thanks for the message. We are stating off a little slow and wont be in full swing for another few months. We aren't starting off with many products, but we should always have some kind of variety. It'll be more interesting when we put vintage watches up as well.

As far as parasites and thieves go..Please explain to me how I can prevent people from doing this to my site. I'm not very familiar with this.

Thanks

R.

ABW Ambassador
    quote:
    As far as parasites and thieves go

These terms are usually used here in reference to affiliates who use software downloads and other schemes to intercept traffic or otherwise overwrite cookies from legitimate affiliate's referrals, effectively stealing their commissions.

Though the other networks turn a blind eye, as they get their own piece of the pie no matter which "affiliate" get credit, Shareasale does not tolerate these hornswaggling modern-day cattle rustlers.

------------------------------
    "It be's dat way sumtimes." ~ Coco B. Ware

Welcome Watchmaker,

I am interested on promoting your products.
    I love vintage stuff and you will fit perfect to my page.

I be looking forward promoting your product.

Again welcome to ABW.

What does the COC stand for? Crooks Overwriting Commissions.
    Don't worry! Tracking is infected!
    Love Life to the fullest. we only get ONE chance! :-) !

As I said earlier, we should be officially open for launch in a month or maybe even two months. I am very pleased with the support all of you are giving me. The advice is very valuable. I am also pleased that a number of people are also interested in this "Niche" market.

I am the webmaster and son of the master watchmaker himself. There are very few master watchmakers around and that's why I convinced my dad to go into this affiliate concept. We've been on ebay for a few years with success, but mainly as a hobby.

To be modest...I am going to have to give our web site two months before we launch because we officially will be registered as a company in January.

If we launch sooner, which I hope we can, I hope to continue to have a good response from all of you kind affiliates.

Cheers,
    Richard Lupu

ABW Ambassador
    Make sure you have enough stocks for ALL our orders.

Parasites are thieves. What are you going to do about it?

Animal Lover
    womanht, you've got mail...

Oscar

consider dynamic links for vintage watches; to show a different watch with each refreshed or new view.

_____
    I earned something? Who screwed up?

Hi Herb,
    I am still working on the site. Will take awhile before I get the cart set up and get my stock ready. Here's a stupid newbie question..How do you create dynamic links?

Thanks,
    R. Lupu

darn. you're asking the wrong person; I just love to use them.

I believe they have to be created at your end. Others here may have good input for you. I like them because YOU can change what appears to be for sale and I don't have to change the code. However, the general category of the product shouldn't change.

My main site is antiques-oriented, a US/Canada shop directory so I'm waiting to see your site develop.

_____
    I earned something? Who screwed up?

Good Evening! Finally Launching! January 9, 2004. www.masterwatchmaker.net

I have been an affiliate for the past two years, and have decided to join the merchant side with my family. After being an affiliate, I have seen all the obstacles out there that prevent profit.

Now for our sincere and genuine pitch to all of you!:

We are 100% dedicated to our affiliates!

We offer a unique "niche" market by selling quality, new and vintage mechanical watches.

Master Watchmakers are a rare breed today and we offer mechanical warranties on all of our watches by our very own "in house" watchmaker.

Our Master Watchmaker also distributes unique Transylvanian porcelain laceware brought in from a factory in his home country. More unique items for you to advertise!

We will do our best to track all orders! Phone orders, check orders, International Money orders, etc. Your affiliate ID will appear right on each of our web pages. If we make any sale that is outside of our tracking software, we will ask every customer to identify the affiliate ID they see on our web site and you will be manually credited. We know how hard you work bringing us traffic, and we want to reward you with every sale you make!

All sites are accepted, except for hate sites or sites that are deemed illegal.

Affiliates caught using parasite software will forfeit all commissions and will be banned from our affiliate program!

We process all checks on the 15th of each month for sales made in the previous month. As our company grows, so will your commission. All cookies are set for 60 days, to help increase your profit!

We pay affiliates 6 % of each referred sale.
    Affiliates are not paid until after accruing at least $50.00 in payment.

I have been reading about Share-A-Sale for awhile and I believe we will use them once our affiliate program becomes too large. For now I would like to make our program more personal and get to know each and every one of you. Lets develop a good profitable relationship together!

www.masterwatchmaker.net

Richard Lupu (Son of Master Watchmaker)

25. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread