Maybe this isn't the place to post this, but I am curious how often merchants deal with fraudulent transactions from affiliates?

I just got a call from a nice man in Florida who was wondering why an au pair agency was calling him when he does not even have children and the agency said we told them he did (1aupair.com affiliate program).... He was very nice even though he probably could have gotten quite upset. He also said that he has received about 20 mortgage calls in the past few weeks. I think one of my affiliates must be just taking phone book information and running it through any lead form they can find. Did some looking at the old leads from the affiliate and mapping the IP addresses and there were some leads of people who supposedly filled out who were from from Florida (but from a Korean IP).

It is a little frustrating and I was just wondering how often it happens to others.

DentalPlans has had some issues, you have to watch all the order coming in for anything funny. We call each customer the day after they make the purchase to make sure it's a legit order.

Evan Weber, Director of Marketing
    DentalPlans.com, Inc.
    Earn $50 per sale with one of the best converting offers online! [/b]
    954-923-1487 ext. 105
    evan@dentalplanscorp.com

That is a good idea. I wish there was some software via VoIP where you could automatically confirm leads with people before they are taken by the salespeople. Maybe something like what GeoTrust does when you buy an SSL Certificate if anyone here has done that before.

Do you have some kind of simple script that you go through when calling the customers? I just know that if I did calls manually, some if not most of those phone calls would end up being 20-30 minutes each when the customer has questions......and I would not want to be rude, so I am not sure how you can do that.

Thanks for replying!

ps - this fraudster was pretty smart I think. He spread out his leads over time, used real information, and even made up a fake email address that looked like it could be real (example, if his name was brad jones, the email was like b_jones@cox.net).

No doubt, they are tricky bastards. We have a high payout so they sign-up with us thinking they can get paid, but we usually jump on it pretty quickly.

Evan Weber, Director of Marketing
    DentalPlans.com, Inc.
    Earn $50 per sale with one of the best converting offers online! [/b]
    954-923-1487 ext. 105
    evan@dentalplanscorp.com

It is making me a little nervous because we are going to be starting a new program for a new site that will be in the $7-10/lead range for student loan consolidation leads. That is a lot more than we can currently offer for our au pair leads ($2/lead) and I assume it will draw in more fraudsters.....

slightly off topic: as a merchant in shareasale, are you using the feature that lets the affiliate ID show on your home page?

I was looking at your offering today and was interested but I would like to know exactly how you track the incoming.

_____
    I earned something? Who screwed up?

slightly off topic: as a merchant in shareasale, are you using the feature that lets the affiliate ID show on your home page?
    ----------

I honestly have no idea what you are talking about. Can you rephrase that or give me a link to look at?

Affiliates put our links on their site from shareasale, somebody clicks on the link and the visitor comes to us via shareasale, customer fills out any application on our site (long or short forms, au pair or family) and our thank you page has the activation tracking code that sharesale can then match with the click to mark it as a lead.

WHEN WE WERE CJ AFFILIATES AND ABC LEADS, WE PLACED THE ADS IN OUR WEBSITES. FIRST, WE KNOW WE HAD MANY SALES FROM CJ MERCHANTS, BUT NO CHECKS, THE EXCUSE WAS A THIRD PARTY SENDS CHECKS. THE OTHER IS A MERCHANT THAT PROVIDES HOME OWNERS WITH HOME IMPROVMENT QUOTES, AND ALSO SIGNS UP ANY BUILDER OR CONTRACTOR, ONE FOR EACH ZIPCODE. WE HAD PHONE CALLS AND ANGRY REPLIES ONLINE FROM PEOPLE THAT DIDN'T WANT OR NEED HOME IMPROVEMENTS. WHEN WE CONTACTED ABC, THEY INDICATED THERE IS NO WAY WE COULD HAVE CONTACTED BUILDERS, AND IT PROBABLY A SHAM, WHERE SOMEONE STARTED TELEMARKETING THE AREA WITHOUT SIGNING ONTO ABC. WE SPEND A LOT OF MONEY EACH MONTH, FOR PROGRAMS LIKE VERISIGN, FTP, AND 4 WEB DOMAINS, SOMEONE IS STEALING OUR ADS AND COMMISSIONS.

WE FEATURE 5 STAR MERCHANTS THAT PROVIDE HIGHEST QUAILITY,BEST VALUES,SERVICES,SOLUTIONS,SECURE SITES, AND DIRECT DELIVERY, 100% GUARANTEED. MANY ALSO PROVIDE FUNDRAISING FOR WORTHY CAUSE.

NO, ONLY OUR EMAIL ADDRESS, SINCE SEVERAL MERCHANTS SENT THE ORDERS LATE, OR TO THE WRONG ADDRESS, AND SINCE IT'S OUR REPUTATION ON THE LINE, WE ALLOW SHOPPERS TO CONTACT US ONLINE, EACH AFFILIATE PROGRAM, AND WEBSITE REQUIRE THE USUAL USER NAME AND PASSWORD.

WE FEATURE 5 STAR MERCHANTS THAT PROVIDE HIGHEST QUAILITY,BEST VALUES,SERVICES,SOLUTIONS,SECURE SITES, AND DIRECT DELIVERY, 100% GUARANTEED. MANY ALSO PROVIDE FUNDRAISING FOR WORTHY CAUSE.

ABOUT 2 YEARS AGO, LINKSHARE HAD AN ONLINE SESSION, A LOT OF AFFILIATES COMPLAINED THAT THEY SPEND A LOT, THE ANSWER WAS THEY WERE OWED OVER $8,000 FROM A COMPANY IN JAPAN, AND THE COMPANY FILED BANKRUPTCY, AND THE AFFILAIE WAS STUCK, HIRE A LAWYER, SOME JOKE, TRY TO GET A LAWYER THAT CAN REGAIN LOST INCOME IN A FORIEGN COUNTRY, NOW, WE STAY WITH US DOLLARS.

Hi James T. Monroe, and welcome to ABW!

Would you do us a favor and turn off your CAPS? Typing in all caps generally means you're screaming at someone, or trying to emphasize something important. Multiple paragraphs in caps usually mean you're angry, plus it's hard to read. Thanks!

As for your post, it's unfortunate that all of us have to bear the burden of unscrupulous affiliates. They take advantage of people, which makes it harder for the rest of us to get our message across to them. Sometimes, it seems that it takes more time and work to run a scam than it would to just do it honestly in the first place.

Andy

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    To my knowledge there are very few lead fee merchants who aren't just middleman front operations for IAB/DMA members willing to pay for privacy info for e-mail spam and Telemarketing operations.

Mike & Charlie ...

If they won't adopt and feed a bird ..flip them one! BBQ some Gator and remember to flush WhenU..

EcomCity.com --

You are trying to say that most merchants with lead offers for their affiliate programs are just middlemen for spammers? I think that is a ridiculous comment. Maybe there are some bad apples, but I deal with a lot of lead companies and I don't think that is the standard way of doing things at all.

14. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread