Animal Lover
    Just checked one of my merchants at the sas affiliate site and it says it's temporarily offline? does that mean all my links are not going there? is tracking affected?

Oscar

If they are down .. I believe there's no URL routing and/or sales tracking from SAS.

Ray Thomas
    DesignerWiz.com CEO
    Development Resource & Javascript Public Archive Center
    http://DesignerWiz.com
    ABW Board: Category: Programming / Coding

Animal Lover
    O no...but when I did try to get onto the site via IE I could find them okay - so is sas down then? the tracking system? I then checked on my site and clicked on a link to the merchant and it directed me there okay - just not sure if it was tracked??

Oscar

ShareASale President/CEO and ABW Veteran Brian - ShareASale's Avatar
    if it clicks through, it can be tracked.

temp offline is a status used when a merchants funds run below $0 ... we give them a little buffer to put money back in...

Thanks,

-Brian Littleton
    -Owner/Operator Shareasale.com
    brian@shareasale.com

quote:
    Originally posted by oscar:
    Just checked one of my merchants at the sas affiliate site and it says it's temporarily offline? does that mean all my links are not going there? is tracking affected?

Oscar

Oscar, which merchant went temporarily offline for you?

quote:
    we give them a little buffer to put money back in...

for two months? How about Alectra?

_____
    I earned something? Who screwed up?

WHAT ABOUT ACABLEBOX.NET

quote:
    Originally posted by shareasale:
    if it clicks through, it can be tracked.

temp offline is a status used when a merchants funds run below $0 ... we give them a little buffer to put money back in...

Thanks,

-Brian Littleton
    brian@shareasale.com

WHAT ABOUT ACABLEBOX.NET

Animal Lover
    They are back online again - it was catsplay.com

Oscar

RadScooters is temporary offline too.

ShareASale President/CEO and ABW Veteran Brian - ShareASale's Avatar
    My general recommendation, and this goes for all of the merchants that are specifically mentioned in this thread... is that if the company you want to promote is Offline - send them an email to ask about it... most likely it is due to their balance having run out with us.

If they remain offline for a period of say, more than a week or so.... and you have not heard back from the merchant... if it were me I would research another program to participate in.

Thanks,

-Brian Littleton
    brian@shareasale.com

Does Share-a-Sale notify all affiliates with that merchant so that they know the merchant is offline?

hmm since I never received an answer, then I imagine affiliates are not notified. I really dont have the time to check that merchant reporting is on all the time - to me, that shouldnt happen with a network, there should be penalties in place to make sure it doesnt unless it is a pre-arranged time off that everyone knows about. I really think that affiliates should be notified, it will definitely make me think twice about joining a merchant from shareasale.

Hi Sheepiedog,
    I do not believe that affiliates are notified whenever the merchant goes offline (as you guessed). However, the merchant receives notifications - when the funding for an account gets low and when the funds are gone, causing the offline status (the merchant can instantly replinish an account). You can see the status of any of your merchants instantly by simply logging into your Shareasale account. However, if you come accross any merchants that are offline too often or for long periods of time, then I would definitely regard this as a mark of irresponsibility on the part of that particular merchant, not on Shareasale.

Brian had the following to say on this in a previous topic...Hope this helps.

posted July 30, 2002 04:38 PM
    Here is the skinny on the "Temporarily Offline" thing...

When merchants are active (i.e., they have completed integration, compliance tests, and payment) ... and their current balance is above $0...they are "Online"

The most common cause of "Offline" is when a merchant has their balance go below $0 due to leads generated, sales, etc...

The process is there to protect both the affiliates, and ourselves...from the case of leads not being able to be paid to affiliates, due to a non-payment from merchants....in other words, all payment from merchants is up front so that we can always pay all of the hard working affiliates....

We have provided a lot of tools to the merchants to assure that their balances do not go below $0; Auto-Deposit, Low Balance Notifications,etc.... but ultimately, the responsibility of that balance lies in the hands of the merchants...

However, to let you know.... if a banner that you are using clicks to its correct home, and does not get the "Link Not Active" page from shareasale.com, that means that the link is working, counting, and tracking OK. For some merchants we have implemented a bit of a credit line so taht even if their balance is below $0, the links will still work. For most merchants however, $0 is it.

Hopefully this clears things up a little. We are working on a notification system for affiliates and merchants alike in terms of when a program goes offline...but at this time the notifications are all online in terms of the "Status" that you see for the program.

If you have any more questions about this, or if I need to clarify anything...just post something here, or a question, and Ill be happy to answer. I don't pretend to have the best solution to this problem, so any suggestions in terms of what you would like to see...are helpful.

By the way, I really don't want to discuss specific programs in a public forum, but I will say this....Sometimes merchants who start out with PPC programs, decide to change to a Lead or Sale program, and thus may be offline for integration, compliance testing, etc...

Also, (sorry one more thing) ... if you do have trouble with a specific merchant, make sure to let them know...sometimes a simple email (polite please!) letting them know your frustration or problem, will give the results that you need...some merchants may just not be aware how irritating it is to have a program go offline...this may sound strange if you are coming from the affiliate side of the world...but some merchants simply aren't experienced at all with the other side of the plate, and only think about it from their own perspective...this is not a "knock" on anyone, just that sometimes a little communication is all it takes to give everyone the experience they need to run and manage sucessfull programs and relationships with their affiliates...

Perhaps my post was not clear. I dont really care what their reasoning is. If a merchants status changes, affiliates should be notified via email of that status change.

I do not have time to go around to each of the networks I belong to and check each of the merchants to see if something has changed. Commission Junction provides this funcationality and even Clixgalore does this for their affiliates.

Animal Lover
    Brian

I agree with sheepiedog, it'll be nice to at least get some indication that a merchant is close to being offline. Couldn't you automate it somehow? Just an email would do. I've had 2 go offline on me and I know that they didn't track on those days...

Oscar

I AGREE ALSO, IT TAKES TOO MUCH TIME TO CHECK EACH AD, IN EACH WEBSITE, MUCH LONGER THAN IT DOES TO PLACE THE AD. FOR EXAMPLE, THERE IS ONE MERCHANT TTHAT HAS APRODUCT WE FEEL IS A GOOD SELLER, BUT IT'S BEEN ONLINE AND OFFLINE SO MANY TIMES, WE DROPPED IT.ONLY BECAUSE OF THE TIME INVOLVED.

jersey jim 5

ABW Ambassador
    James,

Will you please stop posting in ALL CAPS. It's hard to read, it sounds like you are shouting and frankly it's damn annoying.

Search Engine Marketing and Positioning - 1 Design 4 Life

Sorry,
    When I lost my trainees and wife, they were the typists, and I apolize if it's annoying. You see, engeneering schools didn't include typing. I hand printed the specs., etc. I am new to this business.If I look at the monitor, then the spelling is lousy.
    Jerseyjim5

jersey jim 5

Animal Lover
    Hey James,

In this industry, you learn as you go - I had a hard time trying to catch on with the lingo and the etiquette but you'll get there

I had to ask someone to find out what ROTFLMAO meant.

Oscar

quote:
    had to ask someone to find out what ROTFLMAO meant

WYBMABIITY?

_____
    I earned something? Who screwed up?

for what it's worth, my computer tech friend gave me a free download site to block parasites, if anyone is interested, i will be happy to share,
    jj

jersey jim 5

22. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread