Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    I just wanted to let everyone know about my new program on shareasale. I know somethimes listings are hard to find at SAS so I wanted to point mine out. My site is [URL Removed] and we are paying out 25% per sale, and our prodcuts are selling like hot cakes ;-)

If anyone would like to give me some feedback on my program it would be greatly appreciated. If you have a site that targets people who might need a template please feel free to sign up with us. We will offer increased payouts to top performing affiliates.

Thanks,
    Chuck LaRocca

[This message was edited by Haiko on February 14, 2004 at 02:52 AM.]

welcome... now leave!

I looked over your sites....

I want to give you the award!

just not sure....

aaah what the heck!

boy, do i feel much better!

And, that's the bottom line because it's my2cents!

ABW Ambassador
    Sorry, no thanks. Opened your page to the horrible flashing "Winner! Winner! Winner!" banner ad you run across the top. Oh wait, now it's a horrible red flashing "Which one is Pamela Anderson" banner. First impression: looks like a affiliate site.

Wayne

i would have to disagree. i've seen charles over at Sitepoint. He isn't a templatemonster reseller. He is a template dealer and is offering his affiliate program to you all.

He has a shareasale program and posted his new affiliate deal in the right forum. He introduced the cut you get and explained a little about the program. How's this spam? Does this mean that every other one in the shareasale forum is spam too?

His signature contains his other websites. Maybe they were in his post and he didn't know how to set his signature up.

------------
    Jeff
    Associate Editor
    Ping! Zine
    www.pingzine.com

Jeff, You Right On!

Shame some can't see past their hunt and peck typing fingers.

He happens to have a large network of resource sites that he put in his signature. Not necessarily spam.

Charles, some people are a bit wary of the Ipowerweb and other CJ etc links on your site because they feel if someone clicks it and signs up going thru their own site they won't get the commission so they feel that this is spam

------------
    Jeff
    Associate Editor
    Ping! Zine
    www.pingzine.com

So it's you who would not even bother to respond to my mutiple requests to adveritse on your 321webmaster site 2 years ago, but yet you decide to frivilously advertise your sites on mine, hmmm ... What a bloody kick in the head!

Thanks for the reality check, it means alot!

Now, pay for your advertising, maybe I'll answer YOU!

Haiko

The secret of success is constancy of purpose. ~ Disraeli

BTW Chuck's missing fourth post was in the new program announcement thread where it says ...

quote:
    Note: Postings of any New Programs in this forum are Paid Advertisings. All new posts are moderated for content ( NO MLM ) *and* prepayment. To advertise, click here

No he didn't pay, so it wasn't approved, but minutes later thereafter he decided to post here and in other threads.

I don't need, much less want your money Chuck, but show some decency!

Haiko

The secret of success is constancy of purpose. ~ Disraeli

I have no idea what this backlash is all about. I have a legit program on shareasale.com and offer a legit product that is my own. I am not sure what people are so mad about.

Jeff
    Are you saying people think my program is no good because I have banner ads on it? Am I the only site that does this? I think there are plenty of commercial sites that have ads to suplement income.
    (thanks for backing me up, it's a shame you had to)

Haiko
    1. I didnt even realize you had to pay to post there. That was me simply not paying attention, I thought this was a free forum, and my post was not added anyway...so where is the harm there?
    2.You say you contacted me to advertise on my site? If I didnt return your email it was deffinately lost as I do my darndest to sell my own advertising and have done so with great sucess. I would never simply not answer an email that meant potential income to me. That doesnt even make sense.
    3. I see you removed my link to my site even though it is a legit SAS program. How come other sites that have posted here were allowed to display their urls?

FOR THE RECORD

I was told by SAS to post on this site! They told me it would be a good place to get some feedback and maybe some new affiliates. So if you think this was wrong have a talk with SAS and give them a piece of your mind.

Charles LaRocca

321Webspace 321Webmaster 321Templates 321Graphics

[This message was edited by Charles LaRocca on February 14, 2004 at 05:33 AM.]

[This message was edited by Charles LaRocca on February 14, 2004 at 05:38 AM.]

Haiko

What site were you looking to advertise? No one on my end remembers anything. Are you sure it wasn't 123webmaster.com? Are you sure it was 2 years ago and not 3? I purchased this domain a couple of years ago, before I baught the domain the site was different and had a different owner.

If this is not the case, then I am 100% sure the mail never made it to us for one reason or another. To this day I have not turned down anyone from a private buy without at least entertaining what they had to offer. Not even the guy that thought advertising rogaine on a CPA basis on my site was a perfect idea. I may not have even considered it, but I did infact return his email.

Charles LaRocca

321Webspace.com 321Webmaster.com 321Templates.com 321Graphics.com

ABW Ambassador
    quote:
    Originally posted by Charles LaRocca:
    Jeff
    Are you saying people think my program is no good because I have banner ads on it?

No, I'm the one that mentioned the banner ads. You asked for feedback, I gave you some. The ads I saw were horribly annoying and reeked of Geo-cities amateur webmasters. You use the prime real-estate of your site to display crap unrelated to your product.

Being an affiliate means promoting your site. I didn't look past the garbage I was greeted with and I'm afraid I wouldn't send my customers there.

Wayne

his urls are back in his signature. guess he figured out how to set it ;p

------------
    Jeff
    Associate Editor
    Ping! Zine
    www.pingzine.com

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    Hey, there's nothing like the seizure-inducing FLASH-FLASH-FLASH of an "extreme animation" Fastclick ad!

But on site that's trying to actually *sell* something?! Those flashing ads are to torture free content-moochers with, they're not for prospective buyers!

~Cheapskate merchants need not apply

People are going nuts calling the ads Garbage its like they are offended. I happen to use fastclick and tribalfusion two of the best around. I'm not the biggest fan of ads but this is about as good as it gets. So the rest of the web must make you guys want to stop surfing???

Let me get this straight. If I remove that top banner then would anyone see a problem? I would deffinately consider it.

Charles LaRocca

quote:

I didn't look past the garbage I was greeted with...

Wayne

That is all you can see when looking at my site, its design, and all the content? Do you have any sites that you like or frequent that serve ads? Or is everything you do online ad free?

Charles LaRocca

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    quote:
    So the rest of the web must make you guys want to stop surfing???

Not me! In fact, I'm unusual in that I like advertising in general. And I've got Fastclick on some of my content sites--that's how I recognized the descriptions so fast!

But when I go to a merchant's site, I expect all the ads on that site to be for that merchant's products! Otherwise I wonder what's wrong, that the puny CPM rate can, basically, compete with the merchant's own ads. Why does the merchant need to advertise something that's not his own stuff? Isn't he making enough money from his own products? Etc. etc. etc.

I don't think the banner makes it look like an "affiliate site," but to me it definitely gives the impression of a content site--as opposed to a site that intends to sell things as a primary means of income.

If I had webmaster traffic to send you, then the answer would be "yes" that removing the banner would be a big plus. But since I don't have traffic looking for the sort of things you offer, I personally wouldn't be signing up regardless.

Personally I think more people would be willing to join if the banner wasn't there. But it'd be good to see what some with webmaster-related traffic have to say. I usually promote general consumer goods--what works in that market may not be the same as what works for the webmaster-related market.

~Cheapskate merchants need not apply

Well fastclicks is actually my leftover inventory the main soource is tribalfusion. But I do see what you mean.

Here is my problem with running ads that have to do with my content. I dont want to advertise competitiors. Even though the content may be relevant, why would I want to send traffic to someone who makes a living doing what I do? Do you see my point?

By the way another reason I run them is to keep up my impressions so I can keep my current rate and ad provider.

Charles LaRocca

ABW Ambassador
    quote:
    You wrote...why would I want to send traffic to someone who makes a living doing what I do? Do you see my point?

If I were your affiliate, I wouldn't want you sending ANY traffic to ANY other site. I want you to keep the traffic I send YOU there and SELL them something. You use the prime space of your site to send them elsewhere. That's supposed to make me want to be your affiliate?

As I said twice already, the first thing I saw was a garish, flashing, in-your-face ad or as Leader wrote: "Hey, there's nothing like the seizure-inducing FLASH-FLASH-FLASH of an "extreme animation" Fastclick ad!" Painful to look at. I have the same reaction at any site I see this type of ad. Low-quality, I'm gone. Like most people, I have no problem with the standard, well behaved banner ad. You can decide to put your best foot forward or you can let this crap set the tone of your site. That's up to you.

You asked for feedback. I gave it three times. Present your program however you wish. I'm not going to argue with you.

Wayne

I have to agree...the moment I saw those flashing banner ads I wanted to close my browser.

Is your business selling templates or making money off of banner ads? Yes, I use banner ads too, but they are related to the site topic.

Ron - 7 Days A Week Marketing

i use fastclicks sometimes too on my webmaster site. they don't really have any ads targeted towards webmasters.

------------
    Jeff
    Associate Editor
    Ping! Zine
    www.pingzine.com

ABW Ambassador
    Removing the top banner is just the start, right now your site is nothing but a leak.

You leak to affiliate links for hosting on the right. You leak to your other sites on the top, you leak to paypal on the left, you use a free counter and leak there. You have leaks on the bottom of the page. 20 links to outside, non-commissionable sites (for us), many of which are nothing but affiliate links for you. I thought sharesale had rules about allowing this on a landing page?

All of this adds up to one thing. You do not trust this site to convert. You think to make money with this site, you need to have all these other links in hopes of driving traffic there.

While it may all make sense to you, and you want to keep your impressions up - or whatever, it will stop any serious affiliate from working with you. You need to decide, how can this site make money, as an affiliate site, or as a content site. Because in this case, the two are pretty much exclusive.

So you can keep posting here why it make sense to you, but step back and ask what benefit does it give an affiliate? Does it make sense from an affiliates perspective? Because it will only make sense to the uninformed affiliate.

Chet

ABW Ambassador
    GDogX, I missed your wonderful post since my post went to the second page.

So the ads are off topic, and that should make it better? That makes no sense. If you are running a little content site to earn some bucks, and your subject is webmasters - hey great. Good for you. That you choose to advertise by not showing relevant ads, well, okay, I guess that is your perogative.

But we are talking about an affiliate site. From your posts I really don't think you get affiliate marketing. We don't drive traffic, we drive sales. At the 321templates site, affiliates are paid not to drive traffic, but to drive sales - 20% of each sale. So anything on that page, be it on topic or not, that takes the user away from the site and results in money for the webmaster, and none for the affiliate is bad. On topic, off topic, paid not paid. WHO CARES???

The bottom line, if you want to have an affiliate program and pay by the sale, you better have your site concentrate on selling the product that rewards the affiliate, and nothing else.

Again, I am surprised shareasale even allows a site like this into their program.

Chet

I guess I sit back and dont see the problem because the bottom line is the site converts. I have never had a problem making a sale. If all these things are such a big problem then how can anyone explain why I make sales day after day?

I see you point about the outbound links, but there arent many sites that dont have them. Some of the best converting programs online have way more outbound links than I do.

I think all the suggestions make sense and may be just. The bottom line is the program converts. There are sites out there that have no links to anything to their own product and are set up perfectly in your eyes, but the bottom line is they may not convert... ever.

What If I created a landing page for shareasale with no outbound links at all. Then would people be happy?

Charles LaRocca

A little of topic

Does anyone see all the dramatics in this post? "I saw that banner and I was done" "As soon as I saw your site I closed my browser"

I think this stuff is funny because of how mild mannered my site is compared to 90% of the net. If you are closing your browser on my site then how do you surf? How do you get anything at all done online?

Also people saying I am just giving you feedback I'm not going to argue. Who is argueing? I'm not, just trying to explain my thoughts and looking forward to some kind of result that makes people happy. I want to hear all the angles. Just because I say I might not agree that doesnt me I am argueing or that in the end I wont do your way anyway.

Charles LaRocca

quote:
    What If I created a landing page for shareasale with no outbound links at all. Then would people be happy?

Charles LaRocca

Heck, you do that and give us thumbnails to use for directing visitor in new window .. I'll give you some great exposure.

Ray Thomas
    DesignerWiz.com CEO
    Development Resource & Javascript Public Archive Center
    http://DesignerWiz.com
    ABW Board: Category: Programming / Coding

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast