Are Hits the same as Clickthroughs at SAS?

bubbles its seems the same is happening to me. i think its robot hits you see in your sharesale last vistor stats, if its: , with no url.

Yeah, something weird is going on. Right before I first posted here, it said I had 267 hits for one merchant, now already it is up to 333. Even if it is just Googlebot though, that is ok, these are all new pages that haven't all been spidered yet.

On the 'Today's Stats' page, it doesn't show any hits though. It is just on the activity summary page.

Are hits clickthroughs though?

I'll try to check my logs tonight and see if I see anything unusual going on.

I'm far from being an expert at understanding log files, but its not googlebot. My 'recent accesses' (from today 3/6) are showing 868 from the domain 1cust243.tnt4.bangor.me.da.uu.net and 351 from egspd421.teoma.com. This is on a pretty new site, that doesn't usually get a lot of visitors. A lot of the hits were in the new section but not all of them. Maybe its just teoma spidering. I don't know.

Before today I've only had a handfull of clickthroughs to this merchant, but over 300 today. No sales though. Does sound suspiciously like a spider.

(Mods - sorry if its not ok to post those domains here.)

I'm getting the same thing -- large numbers of "clicks" -- and I've also been seeing lots of visits from both the Teoma (AskJeeves) spider and the MSNBot in my logs.

I'm guessing it's the MSNBot that's causing it, based on the timing.

-- Mike

There's a thread over at WMW about Teoma, although it was started back in Feb.

I don't know which is the MSNBot, I don't think my stats software recognizes it.

There was another thread about this in this forum too, I guess it's happening to a lot of people.

I sure was excited for a while though, thinking a lot of people were clicking through!

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    What kind of tricks are you using to make a SE robot register a click to one of your SAS merchants?????

I get Robots daily from all the SE Robots and never see network jumps in clicks....

Mike & Charlie ...

"Payment is one option that isn't negotiable. Merchants require it for purchases ...SO DO WE."

I'm not using any kind of tricks, I wouldn't even know how to if I wanted to. The links are plain old SAS links from a datafeed.

It's now up to 440 total, over 100 overnight. I'm sure a few of those are from real people though, because some of the pages have been spidered by Google. The majority of them must be from some bot though.

Bubbles,
    I had the same problem last week, loads of clickthrus and nothing logged as the referrer link. Checked my logs and the clicks never originated from my sites. So it looks like their is a rogue robot on the loose checking SAS links using some kind of blocking software.

Contacted SAS support and they replied and said they will keep monitoring the situation.

I suggest you email the Merchants involved that are notching up the clicks as a matter of curtesy to let them know whats happening. It will play havoc with their Affiliate Stats. It has not happened to any of my sites since last Friday, but then that was the also the last time I had a sale in SAS, but I cant see any connection, just bad luck!

<< - Web Designers do it with Objects and Style Sheets! - >>

10. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread