Those incredibly high paying people at Shopping bargains dropped us for sending them high traffic at 2 cents per click. Considering they had their link and banner up on my 20 pages and they generate a whole $10 per month in click commissions, I'm crushed...NOT.

And this is not the first one to do so. The word IDIOTS comes to mind.

The whole idea of the PPC merchants dropping affiliates because the affiliates generate traffic is self-defeating for the merchant, shareasale and the affiliate.

Paying chump change of 2 cents per click is all about branding and traffic. If they don't have any affiliates, then they have to pay 10 cents per click, MINIMUM, on Overture or 5 cents per click MINIMUM
    for ADWORDs on Google etc.

It doesn't matter all that much to me, that they want to drop us, since we will still make the same amount or more thru Adsense, but you will lose the 20% fee and they will get less traffic and have to pay more in the end.

We are not much on providing FREE traffic to merchants anyway and that is what they all seem to want.

In any case, by dropping us, they make it harder for us to make the $50 pay out level, which makes it more likely we WILL NOT carry many SAS merchant links who are borderline payers or to test new ones.

Basically, what SAS needs to do is make it mandatory that ALL merchants pay at least a 2 cent per click fee plus commissions to ALL SAS affiliates since the lowest cost to buy traffic on a PPCSE is one cent.

What's the real difference between a PPC listing and a banner spinning on one of my pages...one thing, the merchant will have a real viewable listing on my pages where he may be buried on page 50 or below on the PPC because he is a cheapskate.

Seriously, if you make a PPC mandatory on SAS, you will get better affiliates and better merchants. It cost well over $1,000 just to be a merchant on CJ, or BeFREE or LS or Performics.

Basically, you only need 20 or so top level merchants who have multi-million ad budgets to make a fortune. These people are everywhere and they are the ones paying the 10 cents plus per click on Overture and Google Adwords.

When you merchants cancel us for sending them traffic, it simply means they lose the traffic and our Adsense click thrus go up pretty much by
    the amount of SAS clicks we lose.

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    SAS like all networks suffers from the mass advertising mindset of this industry. Only way they felt they could get off the ground was a volume of worthless desperate merchants and merchant posers. The worthless lame affiliates following the PPC and lead fee merchants for years sought out SAS, and the other 3rd world networks, for e-mail spam food, Spammy SE free SE listings. Penny a click merchnats and affiliates are a dime a dozen and only a real SAFE HAVEN network structure will turn things around.
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

Domain Addict / Formerly known as elbowcreek Thomas A. Rice's Avatar
    - - - - -
    Seriously, if you make a PPC mandatory on SAS, you will get better affiliates and better merchants.
    - - - - -

I disagree completely with that statement. If they make a PPC mandatory, all that will happen is that the quality of the traffic will degrade due to some affiliates clicking on their own links in one form or the other for quick bucks.

Last year I had one affiliate that provided over 3000 clicks that generated one sale for a $1.60 or so commission. At the same time, I had another affiliate that generated a $785 sale within the first 100 clicks or so.

Different affiliates will attract traffic that converts at different rates, and I certainly will not pay for massive amounts of non converting traffic a PPC structure would generate.
    Following everyone else is a GREAT way to become average.

ABW Ambassador
    I totally agree with elbowcreek.
    PPC should NOT be even considered to be made mandatory.
    Let the tricks for clicks gang go somewhere else... because a lot of fraud would appear if PPC was mandatory.

ABW Ambassador
    Winterpeg, the Mosquito Capital of Canada
    quote:
    Last year I had one affiliate that provided over 3000 clicks that generated one sale for a $1.60 or so commission.

Looking at my stats, I think I'm headin' down that same road...

I don't think you'd find many networks wanting to impliment a click through with commission. Maybe the odd merchant but not as a network

ABW Ambassador
    "The word IDIOTS comes to mind."

That's what comes to my mind when affiliates send traffic to other AFFILIATES. You were sending your traffic to an affiliate not a merchant.

Elbow dude,

If you figure everything on an individual affiliate basis, obviously the $745 sale for 100 clicks is da'kind. And 3k for $1.60 pretty much sucks.

So you took in $765 for 3,100 click thrus. (.24 per click thru). You paid out $61.20 in commissions at 8% - (2 cents per clickthru.)

If you paid a 2 cent per click standard fee and the 8% your pay out goes to - 4 cents per clickthru.

You are out an extra $62.

But, with the NO CPC, more than likely that person who sent you the 3,000 click thrus dropped you like a hot potato. But if he got a check for $61.60 he probably would keep working with you.

So next month, you get 3,000 fewer visitors to your site. And if the 1 in 100 dude blanks you are up the creek.

In effect you lose 3,000 potential buyers simply because they never see your offer.

Obviously you have to deal with potential fraud with a PPC deal and be judicious who gets to play, but if your average revenue is .24 cents per clickthru and you have a 30% gross profit margin, you clear 3.2 cents per click thru - a 12.9% profit margin.

Now you could lower the % to 5% or the PPC to 1 cent, if you wanted to jack up the profit margin.

You have to deal with affiliates on an individual basis, but you also have to see to it that you are not spending all your time chasing after the number one affiliate in the world.

Also, as a business owner do you have an ad budget? PPC is an advertising expense, % payout is a commission expense.

ABW Ambassador
    Winterpeg, the Mosquito Capital of Canada
    Thinking....umm from Las vegas, harping on about getting pay per click from a merchant can only mean one long lost person from the past is back here huh

9. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread