Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hi everybody!

I think I should explain how CJ tracking works and hopefully clear up some concerns that have been discussed on this board.

Impression, clicks, leads and sales are three separate groups that we track and report. In other words, if 1 impression generated 1 click that resulted in 1 sale or lead, they would not all show up in the reporting at the same time.

The ad servers track all three events separately. Impression and clicks are each batched separately to the database for consumption and once they are consumed, they are available in your performance reports. Sales and leads are consumed more quickly and are first available in transaction reports and then available in performance reports. This is because one table updates another table and that takes a little extra time.

OK, let’s get back to my example above. Your site generates 1 impression, 1 click and 1 lead (for 1 advertiser) and they all occur within 1 minute of each other. The lead could show up in your transaction report within 5 minutes. The click and the lead could show up 15 minutes later in your performance report and the impression could show up in your performance report in another 45 minutes.

Normally, Leads and Sales will show up in the transaction report within 5 - 20 minutes. Clicks will show up in the performance report within 20 – 80 minutes. Impressions will show up in the performance report within 20 – 80 minutes. Leads and Sales will show up in the performance report within 20 – 80 minutes (usually closer to 20 minutes).

Now, here is why. There are more impressions to track than clicks and more clicks to track than sales and leads. This makes sense because it takes many impressions to generate clicks and many clicks to generate sales and leads. This is why you often see clicks in your performance reports before you see impressions.

Sales and leads are consumed the fastest, clicks are second fastest and impressions take the longest. The scripts that consume the different logs (impressions and clicks) run once an hour. If certain impressions or clicks are not in those batches, they must wait until the script runs again. If your clicks ran but your impressions didn’t (or just some of your clicks and some of your impressions), your reporting will be off. This doesn’t mean it wasn’t tracked, it just means it hasn’t been consumed by the script (yet).

The advantage of real-time tracking is that you can see your impressions, clicks and leads and sales coming in throughout the day. The down side to real-time tracking is that the reporting doesn’t accurately reflect the order that events occurred and can cause concern that the tracking is not accurate when it really is. I use “today” reports as a general guide that things are working. I use “Yesterday” as an absolute. Yesterday is a whole time period and is data I can compare to previous days. Today is never complete until tomorrow, so it is best to use it as a guide and not get too caught up in the numbers until the next day.

As for individual publishers and the tracking of sales, etc., CJ does not have the ability to indiscriminately turn off tracking for individual publishers (unless they are deactivated). During the holiday season, CJ has been steadily tracking more and more sales and leads (as well as impressions and clicks) each day. The more data we track, the longer the delay in reporting it to members. I am referring to aggregate data (network wide). Individual publishers may experience different results on a day-to-day or even hour-to-hour basis. This is due to traffic fluctuation and visitor interest. In other words, you may see that you are getting more traffic during a given time period but that traffic may not be in a buying mood. Everything (impressions, clicks, leads and sales) is not necessarily relative to each other.

Lastly, I would like to add that our largest publisher have told me personally (more than once) that CJ has the most accurate tracking of all the other solution providers. Tracking is our core competency. If we were unable to track transactions accurately, we would not only lose money (we are paid a transaction fee on everything we track) but we would lose publishers that rely on us to accurately track and report transactions back to them.

I hope this has helped answer some of your questions and concerns regarding how CJ tracks reports data. I would be happy to answer more questions regarding how CJ tracks and reports on a general basis. If you have specific questions regarding your account, you will need to discuss them with Client Services. They are available by emailing publishersupport@cj.com.

Kind regards,

see, didnt i say todd was here? huh? huh?

Hi Todd,

I have a question. I have multiple sites and know I have some of my code mixed up (ie I have code from one site placed on another one of my sites. The main reason this happens is CJ defaults to the site I first entered when I joined CJ and if I'm not careful when I am pulling code for other sites, it is easy to grab the code for this site and consequently it ends up on the wrong site. (ie code for site A ends up on site B, etc.)
    I don't think this should have any effect on tracking and always though that entering multiple sites into CJ's system is more for our benefit in terms of seeing which ads perform best on each site.
    Is there any reason why a sale or lead wouldn't show up if the code from one site was placed on another site?

Thanks in advance for your response.

-CK

Have any of you installed the WhenU.com software to see how it's affecting your web pages?

I did and it's a mess and checked out a lot of sites of affiliates who are saying lots of impressions and clicks and no sales.

BIG "savenow" Pop-ups are all over, getting your customers to his affiliate ID #, not yours! But you don't know it unless you take the 30-day free trial and see for yourself.

They have almost 400 affiliate links, most of them CJ's ...

Is this legal, or fair, or what?

Karin

CK,

There is no reason that tracking would be affected if the same code is used on different sites. You need to make sure that the code was copied and pasted correctly for it to track of course. The affiliation must be valid also (i.e. your staus is still "Joined" and the advertiser is still active).

Todd,

Welcome!

Haiko

Hello Haiko and Members of ABestWeb.

I can't promise that I will be posting here as often as I and everybody would like but I promise to check in each week and look for oportunities to be helpful.

Best regards,

ABW Ambassador
    Thanks Todd! and, welcome!

Now, click here to finish your holiday shopping - lol!

ABW Ambassador
    DID ANYONE ELSE NOTICE THAT TODD IGNORED A DIRECT QUESTION ABOUT WHETHER IT'S OKAY FOR SOMEONE TO STEAL OUR TRAFFIC?????? Yes, I'm shouting. SHOUTING!!! That is theft. THEFT!!! Doesn't it bother him?????
    quote:
    BIG "savenow" Pop-ups are all over, getting your customers to his affiliate ID #, not yours! But you don't know it unless you take the 30-day free trial and see for yourself.

They have almost 400 affiliate links, most of them CJ's ...

*WE* do the work to bring visitors to an informative page that encourages them to click through to the merchant, someone else comes along and hijacks the customer with THEIR affiliate link, and CJ doesn't think that's even worth a comment??? ??????

SHOW SOME ETHICAL BACKBONE, CJ!!!

Angry, angry, ANGRY!!!!!

Elisabeth Archambault

[ 12-11-2001: Message edited by: buckworks.com ]

Elizabeth,

I am not dodging questions. I posted information regarding tracking and reporting. I was staying on topic.

Regarding certain predatory publishers and whether they should be allowed to work with CJ advertisers; this is something that the advertisers must determine for themselves. CJ has limited authority to reject publishers or prevent advertisers from partnering with them.

I suggest you contact advertisers working with these publishers and let them know that you want them to stop or find it unfair. They need to hear it from their publishers not neccesarily from the solution providers that let them track and manage their partnerships.

CJ is between a rock and a hard place. Many advertisers bring their biz dev deals into the network so they can manage all or most of their partnerships via a single solution.

I have seen good traction on the publisher front encouraging advertisers to stop working with predatory publishers. I think this is the best solution.

I understand your frustration with these companies and would not be happy if I lost even one sale to them - but I will let you in on a little secret, they don't have very good business models. They rely on distribution via downloads and installs. Once the users install them, they need to use them. This ends up to be very few actual users. It is very costly to get widspread distribution. In the end these companies will fail (my personal opinion) because the costs to get reach outweigh the revenues.

Edits were to correct spelling errors - late night.

[ 12-11-2001: Message edited by: ToddCrawford, CJ.com ]

ABW Ambassador
    Damn ... Todds on it ... He beat my response

quote:
    Regarding certain predatory publishers and whether they should be allowed to work with CJ advertisers; this is something that the advertiser must determine for themselves. CJ has limited authority to reject publishers or prevent advertisers from partnering with them.

Why Todd .. if it cuts into CJ's revenue. Why would you NOT put it in your TOS with an Advertiser. Its only money out of your pocket too.

CJ is quick to say ... If you don't make money ... We don't make money.

Regards,
    Dave

[ 12-11-2001: Message edited by: dhelle ]

Todd, Welcome. You explained the tracking better than it has ever been explained. Thanks.
    Can you explain a little more about how leads and sales are reported by the merchants. Are sales tracked right from the merchants shopping cart or do they have to do what ever to report them. Lets say my customer makes a purchase at a merchants site. What happens next. Can you explain in detail please? In laymans terms like you did above.

Also are affiliates on different servers. Probably a stupid question being that there are 400,000 or so of us. What I am getting at is it posible for some of us affiliates that are on one server to have sales lost but the other server working better and not losing as many sales? I don't know what the hell I am trying to explain so bear with me.
    Lets say affiliate #1 (JAda ) is on server A and sales seem normal for the amnt of targeted traffic.

Now lets say affiliate #2 (me ) is on server B and sales seem low for the amnt of targeted traffic recieved. It is posible for leads and sales to be getting lost in the transfer of data?

As for the On and Off switch that ya's hit before ya's leave for the weekend. I was kidding, Just joking, I'm a kidder. Umm, Can ya turn it back on though.

Todd,

Quote:Regarding certain predatory publishers and whether they should be allowed to work with CJ advertisers; this is something that the advertisers must determine for themselves. CJ has limited authority to reject publishers or prevent advertisers from partnering with them.

Then do something to prevent advertisers from partnering with them, it's as simple as that

[ 12-11-2001: Message edited by: cowcool ]

ABW Ambassador
    So, CJ is making money from allowing this predatory scumware to put links on OUR pages over top OUR CJ links.

And CJ has limited authority to reject advertisers from its network?!

I guess we already knew that lex had lost his control and leadership when CJ could not take down those IDT links for three months for fear of offending the advertiser.

Hey Todd, don't you think Lex needs to go if it is this bad? Seriously, and you can be open and honest here since you are acting on your own away from the official CJU boards [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

quote:
    Regarding certain predatory publishers and whether they should be allowed to work with CJ advertisers; this is something that the advertisers must determine for themselves. CJ has limited authority to reject publishers or prevent advertisers from partnering with them.

CJ Legal needs some B@LLS!

This is horse shoot! I am so sick of CJ bending over cuz they still use LS as a measuring stick!

Fudge! Come on! .... I want to know the name of the CLO and ask him/her some serious Q's ... like why they ALLOW for all to get reamed! This is absolutely REDICULOUS!

Haiko
    PS I have read the advertiser agreement and that is where most of my trepidations come from! :eek:

[ added PS ]

[ 12-11-2001: Message edited by: Haiko ]

Okay there is no literal magic switch. I still think a merchant could remove itheir tracking code from their pages.

I have accounts with other merchant programs and have the ability if I wanted to remove the tracking code.

My system uses an image just like the qsrv images and they can be removed.

So couldn't this still be that case? A merchant simply removes his/her code at certain times to totaly avoid a transaction with CJ. OH heck and if for some reason they got caught they could just claim they were doing an update and it got overlooked or oops a mistake.

Come on level with us on this. Couldn't this be done?

ABW Ambassador
    Heyder, that is exactly the issue that so many affiliates have been asking for months, but there seems to be a policy whereby CJ will never ever address it.

Lex and the CJ crew are not in charge of CJ anymore.

And now I'm not even sure if Lex, Todd, and that other figment (David?) ever really existed at all. The whole thing, including the people, is just computer generated nowadays (amazing technology, ain't it?).

Patrick,

Good questions.

Tracking on the advertiser side is done one of two ways. Most tracking is done by a 1x1 pixel that automatically captures (grabs) the sale or lead and sends it to CJ. The second method is batch tracking. In this process the advertiser transmits leads and sales on a daily, weekly or monthly basis to CJ. You can recognize advertisers using batch tracking by viewing their detail page in the members area. Under "Cookie duration" it tells you whether they batch and the dates of the three most recent batches.

Example:
    Batch Process Transactions: Yes
    Most Recent: 12/7/01 , 12/6/01 , 12/5/01

We monitor tracking compliance for advertisers and address issues as soon as possible. It is possible for advertisers to turn off their tracking code - intentionally or by accident. We do monitor for this and 99.9% of all advertisers are always in compliance. It only takes one advertiser out of compliance to cause concern amoung publishers.

Publisher sales and leads are load balanced across dozens of servers. No one publisher is assigned to a particular server to track their leads and sales.

Does this clear things up?

Todd,

quote:
    We do monitor for this and 99.9% of all advertisers are always in compliance.

99.9%? did you hit the "9" button two extra times by accident?

quote:
    It only takes one advertiser out of compliance to cause concern among publishers.

Ummm, yeah ... it's our lost revenues ... DirecTV(aseline) not interfacing with CJ for two months, IDT (Global Call) offline for three, etc, etc. (BTW - I think just the IDT FRAUD cost CJ and publishers 6 Million if my extrapolations are correct).

You allow predatory scumware to steal our visitors, but you make the commission (when it tracks) so the song is still the same, screw affiliates defend merchants and spread some warm fuzzies .... bullpucky! It is time to get on the ball!

Haiko

^^BUMP^^

Todd, Yes for the most part it does clear things up better. Thanks for taking the time. Try to be a regular here and not take the flaming personally. Most of the flaming about CJ comes from no communication. Thanks again.

PS. Did ya hit my sales tracking to the on position. I'm joking.

Thanks for turning my tracking back on. I'm liking the numbers today. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Hey c'mon Todd play the game, if you don't like my posts just say so and I will doing nice ones, but for Gods sake hit that sales button for me.

I have not had one sale in two days. My poor wife is suffering from malnutrition, with the price of beer and ***s I cannot afford to feed her without the sales. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

[ 12-13-2001: Message edited by: Heyder ]

ABW Ambassador
    Gordon,

Buying ***s is a form of male prostitution. It is illegal in the United States. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast