We signed up with Shareasale only last week, and I'm very impressed with the affiliate response so far.

I'm curious - all you affiliates out there:
    • How do you determine which products/services to sell? Is it more dependent on the right category for your site/publication? More about the commission rate? Clickthrough rate?
    • How long does it usually take between the time you sign up to sell a new product and the time when it starts appearing on your site/publication?
    • What kind of return do you expect from a new product or service?
    • And lastly, how long do you usually give a new product/service in order to determine if it's worth keeping, giving more prominence to, or less prominence to?[/list]
      I know that's a lot, but I'm really curious about the selection and implementation process on the side of the affiliate.

Thanks for your input!

http and a telephoto
    The answer will be different for everyone, but for me the products generally have to fit the site audience I have. I am branching out into a couple of new areas, but those will take time to develop and will also be niche markets so products will have to fit the intended market.

When will links get up? When I get to it is the short answer. Do you fit my current market and is your commission rate comparable to other merchants? Then your links may get up faster. I may sign up for programs that I don't have traffic for yet and just want to have the merchant available when I am ready to go into that market.

You may get 100 affiliates that sign up for your program, 5 put up links and 1 sells stuff. My downlines in AllPosters and in other programs are long, and the active subaffiliates are few. I don't know what the rate of sign ups to active affiliates is and I bet it varies by a lot depending on a lot of factors.

I think being a part of a network like shareasale that prescreens your affiliates for you will help your sign up to active affiliate ratio, however, your program in particular will do best on specific niche sites, I would think.

Just my own thoughts on your questions
    Deborah Carney

Torrance, CA
    I just went and looked at your site. It happens I have a place it would fit, but that place gets so little traffic I don't know if I want to even bother putting your link on it.

If I do put it on I'll probably leave it there "forever" unless you do something to make me take it off. And I won't be surprised if I never get a sale. I have a bunch of low traffic pages that I have almost forgotten about, but every now and then I'm surprised by a sale from one.

I signed up for a couple new merchants last week, in a moment of weakness, and I don't know if I'll ever get to them. If I do, it's usually at least a couple of weeks to a month before they'll see any significant traffic.
    Affiliate Marketing - The hardest easy money I ever made.

Loxly - Thanks very much for your thoughts. I appreciate the feedback.

MissDonna - We've been told that the IWeD is a niche product, in that it doesn't fit any one category exactly (Gifts? Electronics? Weddings? it works in all three), but in truth, our customers are just the general population - anyone who is married with a wedding video. I guess our lack of specific category makes it a little harder to decide if we fit on a certain site. But you might want to try us out anyway - you might be very pleasantly surprised.

5. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread