We are administering an affiliate program for a computer related web site (computer networking to be exact) called http://www.lighthousefiber.com and was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on what computer related affiliates would be looking for with respect to an affiliate program.

What are the important factors that should be taken into account?

Ron
    Ron Goldman
    Affiliate Manager
    --------------------------------
    http://www.kimmyshop.com
    http://twitter.com/kimmyshop

Hi,
    During the years we had as radio shack sales, we found several things, first new computer sales were down, and parts were selling well, some compter techs ordered the parts, others using the instructions learned they could repair, and/or upgrade the computers themselves. There is a big market out there, since many people were afraid to tackle the the simple instructions, and we hav't seen many merchants with your products, there are a few, but if you have the instruction books, many available at local libraries,they will sell. We even had customers bring in the parts, they didn't know what to call them, but did know what they needed. It's like som people going into a hardware store looking for "this gizmo".
    looks good to us, as soon as we get site 6 started,we would add it, as long as the program was good, it is a limited product line, but one that those with older computers will need.If the typing is lousy, it's because we don't do that well, except on the first 5 sites.
    jj

Interesting product line, but a very, very narrow market.

To answer your question, they would be looking for good commission rates, knowledge that you don't partner with parasites, and a belief that they can move your product, also it doesn't hurt if you're extremely price competitive in the market.

I find it highly unlikely any one would build an affiliate site based only upon your products, but if they already have a site tailored and optimized for selling networking hardware, servers, etc..then your product line would be an interesting extension to their site.

Isn't it ironic though that you have two response from Newton, one in New Jersey, and the other in Kansas.

One other thought that just popped into my mind. With your product line I'd want to explore the various computer certification forums and study sites, especially Cicso related. They would be a natural to promote banner ads, or links to your products, since they are narrowly focused on networking geeks. (Note: Networking Geeks is spoken in all respect, since I'm a bonafide member.)

I think if this program, which I already signed onto is as good as the kimmy shop, you will do well, they are specialty products, not found at walmart, kmart, sears, etc. but needed all year rounf, not just special occasions or holidays. good job
    jj

The benefit of this line also is that its very condusive to repeat sales. Building contractors for example are constantly working on new projects and require cabling.

Thanks.

Ron

quote:
    Originally posted by JAMES T. MONROE:
    I think if this program, which I already signed onto is as good as the kimmy shop, you will do well, they are specialty products, not found at walmart, kmart, sears, etc. but needed all year rounf, not just special occasions or holidays. good job
    jj
    Ron Goldman
    Affiliate Manager
    --------------------------------
    http://www.kimmyshop.com
    http://twitter.com/kimmyshop

One other thing,
    when we were in the Scranton,Pa. area, Owens-Corning received a large federal and state grant to build a fibre optic plant, which they did, had a job fair, and closed 4 months later, claiming the market was down for the product, however, Thompson electric made parts for RCA, and after being their for years, also closed, both moved to Mexico, cheaper labor. that's the trend now, cheap labor higher prices.Thought you may want to know.
    jj

8. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread