Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    I have had no SAS sales for 2 days...which is very unusual. I see plenty of clicks recorded at normal levels, but no sales reported.

Any reporting issues SAS?

ShareASale President/CEO and ABW Veteran Brian - ShareASale's Avatar
    None network related. Please forward your info along with which merchants you are promoting, your userID, etc... to shareasale @ shareasale.com
    Thanks,

Brian Littleton
    President/CEO - ShareASale.com, Inc.

Hi Brian,

I emailed the info and received a response from your support team supporting my concerns that something unusual is going on. They requested that I send over some links to some SAS pages on my sites, which I have. No response yet.

It is now going on 4 days with no sales and normal level of clicks. Just want to keep the post alive in case anyone else is experiencing a similar issue. Maybe we can get some helpful information from others in the same boat.

I am testing a new merchant with SAS. I got my first sale a few hours after I started my advertising campaign, about 30 hits or so. That was April 26. I thought that was pretty good, I was already in profit!

I have sent a lot of hits to this merchant since from a few other sources as well with nothing to show for it. I can see what people are searching for and those were very targeted hits. I am amazed that there no more sales after the first one, more than 48 hours ago now.

Maybe it's just a bad converting merchant? Time will tell I suppose... I won't spend a fortune advertising them, that's for sure.

If I could only make links to go to a specific page with them! I sent an email to the AM of this particular merchant a few days ago about this with no reply. *sigh*

Catwoman

Spot on !
    I'd been generating one sale in every 2-3 days since the beginning of April with one SAS merchant. It then suddenly stopped on April 20th till today. It does seem strange. I've checked the merchant links and they're all OK. What do you think I should do ?

Anyone with a problem should contact support at the shareasale@shareasale.com address with actual details on their account, etc... They can check to make sure your links are ok, that the merchant in question is tracking sales, etc...

However, there is no general reporting or tracking problem, delay, etc...
    Thanks,

Brian Littleton

I did that. I got an email back from support that until there are 2000 or more clicks for the merchant there was not much they could do. Since I'm new to SAS and new to this merchant, I don't have that many hits yet.

I'm not going to wait until I get 2000 clicks that don't convert to realize and admit that I'm wasting money. Not sure how the first sale got recorded after barely 30 hits, of which many were mine to begin with, and then nothing since. Must have been my lucky day I guess. It's been 3 days now with nothing. I have turned off a lot of advertising for this merchant.

I still see product specific clicks, but no takers. It doesn't normally take 100 targeted hits to make a sale, especially for inexpensive stuff. For the same price, I sold 4 Zone Alarm Pros with just 28 targeted hits.

I just answered my own questions... I know what I should be promoting!

Time will tell...

Catwoman

going on 6 days now without a sale and above average traffic and clicks. Brian did place a test order for me which did track, but that does not resolve the issue. If I don't see a sale by tomorrow, I am replacing my links with CJ, LinkShare, BeFree and Amazon. They are all converting at normal levels. There is a problem.

I don't know SAS very well, but I like the feature that tells you the last link clicked. However, what I'm seeing a lot is this:

"Last Page Clicked: , "

I assume this is a page within the merchant's site which has nothing to do with my own stats, but I know that assuming can be very dangerous.

Is this right?

Thanks.

Catwoman

quote:
    For the same price, I sold 4 Zone Alarm Pros with just 28 targeted hits.

This needs to start causing a reaction from affiliates similar to if I just told you that we have begun accepting whenU, 180, etc....

promoting a piece of software that is trying to contribute to the elimination of advertising, and specifically targets affiliate advertising. ill have more to say about this a bit later... im off at the abw meeting in vegas.

peedtih,

i have checked each of the merchants that you are promoting, and they are all tracking and reporting sales normally.
    Thanks,

Brian Littleton

Don't you use a firewall Brian? I've been using ZAP for a long time. I'm a huge advocate of Zone Labs, and have been for years. Long before I ever joined their affiliate program. ZAP does NOT target affiliate advertising...

Surfing the net without a firewall is a disaster waiting to happen. It doesn't matter which one you have, they pretty much all have the same features. However, ZAP does NOT come preconfigured to block everything like Norton. I would NEVER recommend Norton and I have a write up on my firewall page about that.

I've seen recommendations for Adaware and Spybot, two very well known spyware and adware removers. Both remove CJ, Linkshare, etc. cookies. How many people here use these programs? Next you're going to say shame on those who use a firewall and spyware removers?

Come on Brian, that was uncalled for... and your analogy with using parasites is way off base.

Catwoman

Why do networks never believe affiliates when they report anomolies in tracking/reporting. I have never experienced a network saying, "you know, you are right, that does not look right. There must ba a problem and we will fix it." It's always, "not us...must be you and your traffic."

Well...what else can I do. Time to pull the links.

quote:
    Originally posted by shareasale:

This needs to start causing a reaction from affiliates similar to if I just told you that we have begun accepting whenU, 180, etc....

Here is this affiliates reaction. Yesterday I emailed support on another network concerning content links that didn't go anywhere but still were tracking hits. I asked about why they were still tracking hits and got a response relating to accepting third party banners, allowing 6 servers in my firewall and a mention of kazza and the like. Turns out she wasn't even at the right site I gave her.

Then there are the reverse sales with no explanation, and the cancellations that we can't verify etc etc etc

Now this:

quote:

What a bunch of crap. You didn't like what you were reading so you figure you rally the troops to belittle a newbie on the board. It doesn't even address the concerns and your answer suggests everyone go without a decent firewall that is a necessity these days. Your analogy doesn't fit either.

To disagree is one thing, but to use your influence to rally the regulars to make her feel cheap so you can feel good because you didn't like what she said, is not only a total cheap shot, but IMO , totally uncalled for.

Maybe there isn't a problem and maybe there is. Nothing like diverting the subject though.

Kind of surprised really.

quote:
    Originally posted by peedtih:
    Why do networks never believe affiliates when they report anomolies in tracking/reporting. I have never experienced a network saying, "you know, you are right, that does not look right. There must ba a problem and we will fix it." It's always, "not us...must be you and your traffic."

Well...what else can I do. Time to pull the links.

Your visitors are probably all using Zone Alarm Pro and blocking all affiliate links and banners if we judge by what Brian seems to think the problem is. My God, who would dare use a firewall on the internet! Nasty stuff, they SPECIFICALLY target affiliate advertising! Never mind stopping hackers and protecting your personal information, affiliates are the nasty people online! Let's stop them!

All sarcasm aside... ZAP does not delete my cookies and it's not preconfigured to block them either. So ZAP is not the problem here...

Who knows if there really is a problem or not, maybe it's just a bad week or bad luck. April has been a very slow month overall.

Catwoman

I didn't try to divert the subject ... i had 5 minutes before leaving and posted - as well as saying that I would be back later.

I did not say ZAP was the problem, or if there was a problem.

I said that promoting ad blockers is a really bad idea for an affiliate, and I will continue to say that... it is. ZAP and Norton both have been shown to block banners hosted on many if not all of the major affiliate networks, block adsense ads, block legitimate images from being shown...and destroy cookies.

The analogy is between a "parasite" and Norton - I am not saying that an affiliate promoting Norton or ZAP is analogous to the "parasite" - but I would hope at some point that affiliates would recognize the overall damage that Norton and ZAP could do to this industry. Helping them is just not a good plan. See the 5 Star Program board here at ABW - Linda has a really good page posted about what Norton and ZAP are doing.

The response was not personal - i apologize if they came across that way - as I said i posted in haste as I in at the abw gathering in vegas..... they were simply pointing out that as a group - we need to educate each other, the networks, merchants, everyone... just like you all educated so many people on the "parasite" issue. This is just as important and has the capability to do more damage than the "parasite" issue.

I never suggested that you surf without a firewall - that is everyones option.

Peedtih - if I didn't believe you I wouldn't have spent as much time as I have in the past few days researching your situation. However, when I do that research, do my tests (which were successful), and find a large number of sales per day for each of the merchants that you are promoting... I have no other conclusion to come to than that it is not a network reporting problem. I never said it was your traffic, I really have no idea what the problem was - and I stated that I do think it is odd for you to have a low volume as you have had - however that doesn't gaurantee that it is a network, or a merchant tracking issue. Most tracking issues turn out to be a merchant problem, i.e., they rebuilt the cart and took off the tracking code, etc.... as I stated - i looked into everything related to that AND network issues and didn't find anything.

Dirk -

quote:
    Here is this affiliates reaction. Yesterday I emailed support on another network concerning content links that didn't go anywhere but still were tracking hits. I asked about why they were still tracking hits and got a response relating to accepting third party banners, allowing 6 servers in my firewall and a mention of kazza and the like. Turns out she wasn't even at the right site I gave her.

I will assume you are not talking about Shareasale Support - as we have no "Shes" ... but also because that doesn't sound like an answer that would come from anyone I know at SAS. If you have a concern, and that was a SAS issue, please address it to me directly and I will look into it.
    Thanks,

Brian Littleton

http://www.5staraffiliateprograms.co...s-revenue.html

The above will show you what Norton does.

When I tested ZAP the results were nearly identical.

If you look at what they are doing to your links, they are doing nothing better than what the "parasites" do which is to stop you from making money.

Catwoman - I have not specifically look at your issue - I know you received a response from support but would like to look into it myself ... so if you want to - email me brian @ shareasale.com or PM me here and be sure to include your userID or username, as well as a number of URLs from which you are promoting SAS merchants...let me know exactly which ones you are using the most so that I can check each of them.
    Thanks,

Brian Littleton

quote:

I don't know SAS very well, but I like the feature that tells you the last link clicked. However, what I'm seeing a lot is this:

"Last Page Clicked: , "

I assume this is a page within the merchant's site which has nothing to do with my own stats, but I know that assuming can be very dangerous.

Is this right?

The last page clicked should actually show you the last page clicked... (this would be from one of your sites) ... however, when you see it as blank it could be that the session was opened in a new browser window, was a popup, came from email, etc.... there are a number of reasons why it would be blank. (#1 is popup). It is just a reference tool for you and the merchant, and has no bearing on the tracking of a sale or a click... they are seperate.
    Thanks,

Brian Littleton

Brian, maybe we can agree to disagree on ZAP and firewalls in general. I am a Zone Lab advocate, with or without an affiliate program, and I feel like I really have to say something here so people are not mistaken or misled.

Internet security is one area where I did an awful lot of research for a while and I have many articles on several issues. ZAP is a very powerful firewall and IMO the best one there is.

You said you tested it. I USE it every day, and have been using it for probably close to 2 years after I upgraded from the free ZA firewall, which I had been using for years as well.

Just so you know, you really have to have your settings quite high in ZAP not to see anything. You have to play with and change the custom features to block everything. I rarely use those options just like the "blocking cookie" because I find it very annoying to have to change my security settings for every site I visit.

If I, as an experienced ZAP user, find its features to be a pain in the butt to turn on and off more often than a light switch, I can only imagine how many others don't use ZAP to its full potential either. Or how many people even know about all these features to begin with.

It's not like Norton where everything comes preconfigured to block everything. In ZAP, you have to know where to look for these buttons and what they do before you can turn them on.

I've been to their forum quite often and I can tell you that most users don't even know that ZAP has a lot more to it than what they got when they first downloaded it. I know because I was one of them for almost a year.

I have no problem selling ZAP. Hell, I recommended it to everyone I knew on and offline long before I even knew about their affiliate program! It's very unsafe to surf without a firewall.

I have a site that contains a page on computer security and a page on firewalls. I STRONGLY advise AGAINST Norton for a lot more reasons than you mention, although that's part of it. It's MY choice to sell firewalls, just like many others on this board.

I'm a lot more afraid of tracking issues from both merchants and networks and parasites when it comes to MY commissions than I am of ZAP or any other firewall.

Let's get real here... if you run Norton and you can't see half the pages when you surf, don't you think that you'll change the options in your firewall so you can see what you want to see? After all, what's the purpose of surfing the net if you can't see anything, really, right?

Sorry, but you hit a bad spot with me on internet security issues.

Now, next post will be on topic...

Catwoman

Now for SAS tracking issues...

Actually, I want to give it the whole weekend to see what happens. I turned off a lot of advertising for that merchant but left one or two running that won't cost me a fortune. Plus a few freebies. SAS support didn't tell me anything I didn't already know.

The reason I want to wait is simple... I have another merchant, not SAS, who is a lot worse! More than triple the hits of what the SAS merchant got and not a single sale. That one has cost me a lot of money and I'm working with the AM to figure out what's wrong.

After the weekend, if I keep seeing targeted clicks and still no sales, I will no doubt contact you about it. But one thing I have to say first just so you don't tell me the same thing support told me... I doubt very much I'll have 2000 clicks on that merchant's site by Monday morning! LOL

Have fun in Vegas! Thank you for the offer to help, it's greatly appreciated.

Catwoman

quote:
    Originally posted by Dirk:

What a bunch of crap. You didn't like what you were reading so you figure you rally the troops to belittle a newbie on the board.

Are you talking about me? I'm not a newbie anymore, I'm a MEMBER now! That's what the board says!

YEAHHHHHH! lol

Catwoman

ABW Ambassador
    Why are affiliates so quick to blame the merchant or even the network when things aren't selling?
    You aren't getting any sales so you think that there is a problem with tracking?

It amazes me sometimes

I was not personally blaming anyone or anything, I was simply questioning what was happening. April has been a slow month for me overall, even with producing merchants.

When a merchant does not convert well or at all, or stops converting completely or conversion decreased dramatically, it's time for a change, regardless of the reason. If you're not making money, there are other options available.

Otherwise, you work with the AM to see if there's anything wrong. A good AM works with affiliates to help them increase sales and makes sure that tracking is working properly.

Sometimes it's just the same links that people have seen too many times on too many sites and are now immune to them. Maybe it's time for a site update or redesign, or new graphics, or new wording.

When sales are slow, it's time to be creative in more ways than one. I try hard not to dwell on the negative and focus on the positive. But I'm only human...

Just my thoughts...

Catwoman

ABW Ambassador
    Yes, you are doing the right thing, and what you are writing makes sense.
    It is just sometimes people seem to jump straight to the conclusion that if sales are down that somone must be eather stealing the commission, or there must be a tracking problem

quote:
    I will assume you are not talking about Shareasale Support - as we have no "Shes" ... but also because that doesn't sound like an answer that would come from anyone I know at SAS. If you have a concern, and that was a SAS issue, please address it to me directly and I will look into it.

Yes,you are correct; although I did say another network, let me make it clear that it was NOT sharesale I was referring to. In fact, except for the comment that rubbed me a bit, my blanketed comments were not meant to be directed at sharesale. From what I get out of all the reading and feedback, sharesale is one of the better networks.

Just that I see a lot of clear unfair advantages and lack of transparency that the wild wild net brings. I won't go into it now, as most know what I am talking about anyway. Besides, I do want to make a living doing this and the majority of my energy needs to be directed getting there …

As far as your comments concerning zone alarm, I don't see eye to eye with the logic. I can cause havoc with the tracking links inside Internet explorer properties settings. Creating a host file is another way. All without a firewall, which is more or less being seen as a must if not a necessity as more people today are more aware of the risk one takes without it.

What I do see is no real challenge on the companies that provide software that infringes on businesses such as ours, when there are clear avenues that can make a difference. Many will complain but don't want to take action.

Networks that have the resources to make a difference don't seem to see it as the same threat that it is to those that get hit the hardest. All this is nothing new though, so I will shut-up now.

Sorry for crashing in on the party uninvited.

Have a good night.

http and a telephoto
    quote:
    Let's get real here... if you run Norton and you can't see half the pages when you surf, don't you think that you'll change the options in your firewall so you can see what you want to see? After all, what's the purpose of surfing the net if you can't see anything, really, right?

The thing about the blocking is that the same person that doesn't know they should change some settings DOESN'T KNOW THERE is anything missing from the page, they just think it is a BAD or CONFUSING website. Yes, I am shouting. Surf like a newbie, surf like a person with their first computer going online to shop for something for the first time. You don't know what should be there so you don't miss anything.

Norton or any of the other blockers don't replace the missing stuff with a "we removed stuff for your protection, click here to see it" notice. They just leave big holes.

And as for merchants not converting, people need to get real, not every click is a shopper, it might be someone just looking that wants to buy something later, or another merchant or affiliate checking out the competition. If there was a forumula to figure out how many clicks it took to guarentee a sale we would all be happy, but there isn't. And ppc might bring you a few more qualified clicks, but again, there isn't any guarentee.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast