Hey people (if any), I posted the following message under the Las Vegas heading last week but no one seemed to care to help, I'll give it one more shot here and see if my questions get answered or move on to another distributer for affliation programs. I am a retailer, not a site owner.

Here ya go:

Hey everyone, what's going on in Las Vegas this weekend? My name is Jimmy, I'm with a company called PrecisionFit Seat Covers in Reno, Nv. We are a manufacturer of CUSTOM made made seat covers for late model vehicles. I was just looking through the shareasale site, considering taking our products into the affiliate world. Fortunately, I was one of the pioneers of online coupons years ago (then the local Reno newspaper got wind of what i was doing and now they are everywhere, but that's a good thing Anyway, I'm just posting to introduce myself and do some info gathering before I get the Top Dog here at PFSC to commit to the program (I'm Dog #2 here. My biggest concern is how the aftermarket auto people are doing with affiliate programs? Can anyone upply some raw data that I can take to Top Dog to show that this is worth the small investment? I don't need to know how many sales or leads any publishers are getting, what I need to know is what the MERCHANTS are doing.

thanks
    Jimmy S.

ShareASale President/CEO and ABW Veteran Brian - ShareASale's Avatar
    Jimmy,

Generally an individual Merchant will be very gaurded about the info/data that they have on their programs. They take their own risks in trying out certain software or networks, etc... and I would not think are likely to give this info away.

I could be wrong and there may be people that are willing to share, but I wanted to let you know that it might be an uphill battle to pull data from the group.
    Thanks,

Brian Littleton
    President/CEO - ShareASale.com, Inc.

Hey Brian, thanks for the reply. I guess I should clarify a little, I really don't need raw data ( i.e. exact numbers, i don't want to audit them... lol)I just wanted to find out if the merchants in the auto aftermarket field would consider this a profitable venture for them so far. From what I've read at shareasale site, the price is great considering that CJ wants $2200 up front, $250 maint., and another couple grand for payouts - that's pretty hefty. Personally I want to do it immediately but I have a partner I need to consider and convince. As manufacturers of the product we will be offering to publishers online, we have a little more incentive to make sure things are right

Again thanks for the reply, hopefully someone will give me something concrete to go with instead of relying on the old" hey, this looks good" theory *you're a businessman, you know what I mean*

Jimmy-

I hate to be cynical, but I would suspect that if people in the auto aftermarket were doing incredible with affiliate programs, they would not whisper a word about it to anyone. And, if they were crapping out, then that simply might mean they are not managing it properly.

The long and short of it is, once you pay the "network access fee" to CJ of $2,500, or SAS of $150 (which I would recommend). The rest of your cash is purely spent on performance marketing. It's like paying a commission to an indie sales rep.

Here's the 411. It's work. Launching an affiliate program is easy (easier with SAS). The fact is an Affiliate Manager can, and often should be a full time position. It is a single channel that should be one of any businesses most profitable units.

Or, like some bigger companies, throw a newbie to handle the AM part-time, let them ignore it, and watch it melt down.

Good luck.

Domain Addict / Formerly known as elbowcreek Thomas A. Rice's Avatar
    Jimmy- sent ya a PM....
    Following everyone else is a GREAT way to become average.

NAkedZombie, thanks for the reply but I think you misinterpreted what I asked. I don't need other afetrmarket people to give me their numbers, sales, etc. Like I mentioned before, I've done this before way back in the day when affiliate marketing was new - and I was successful doing it as I was one of the pioneers of putting coupons online along with Cool Savings (and I was an affiliate with them when they got going).

As for others in the auto aftermarket industry, they would probably be more interested in giving our company some info because they may want to carry our product in their stores since we are also B2B - we actually mainly sell to retailers, but are opening our products up for individual purchases as well. And our seat covers are probably the best in the buisness. Consider that each one is hand sewn and then goes through a 4 step QC process. We're not talking cheap one-size-fits-all covers, these are custom made to order, like Jack says, "We don't make it until you order it" :-)

Elbowcreek, got your message and will reply later today/tomorrow

7. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread