Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hello folks,

Just had an idea that would help both Merchants and Affiliates alike (imho).

What if ShareASale had an OPTIONAL once-a-day email notification for your affiliates whenever you A) Uploaded new creatives/products and another one if you B) Edited current creatives or products.

I'm uploading all the time right now, being a new program, so it's no surprise to my affiliates that I'm doing so. But what if I get a flurry of advertising ideas 6 months down the road, and upload a lot of new stuff? What if I then have 100 affiliates... yeesh!

I could email every affiliate every time I make changes, but that might be less than welcome, especially since I'm a "graphics geek" and will do a lot of this. An optional email notification would be like an opt-in mailing list for changes, which is less spammy.

Just a thought,

Toxey

ABW Ambassador
    Well, I for one wouldn't want a once a day email notification, but I do want to know when merchants have added stuff to their range, have new banners or affiliate tools or whatever. But surely a monthly newsletter can accomplish this ? Plus, there's this board where merchants can let affiliates know what is going on.

Hi and welcome

Daily??? No way. You would be blocked as spam about the third day. I have probably over 300 merchants. A daily mailing from them would be about as welcome as a boil on my sit down.

If I need to update a site for a merchant more than once every two months, I find another merchant or abandon that part of the sites. No one is going to be devoting all that time to just one merchant.

Just have a good data feed ready at all times for affiliates who are ready to update. Be sure and keep your landing pages and images stable so your affiliate back up sites don't have broken links and images. A page made for a good merchant will still work a year from now.

If you have all those creative juices flowing, put them to good use on your own site so that when we do send you a prospective customer, you don't drop the ball on your end.
    Comments are opinion unless otherwise noted. Remember, pillage first. Then burn. Half of all people in the world have IQs under 100. You best learn to trust ol' SSanf!

You're all assuming you'd receive an email every day... when I said "once a day" I meant "not every time any change was made". I'm talking about one email from ShareASale that says (IF there were any changes) something like "The following of your merchants have made updates to their creatives (or product feed)." And then list the merchants. That's all. As OPPOSED to me sending out emails telling all my affiliates every time I make an update.

No changes, no email, simple idea really. When I said "Once a day" I was trying to say that you wouldn't get them all the time, and only one email IF anything was changed.

I also threw in the rather prominent word optional (actually, I used OPTIONAL, in all caps). This would be for those affiliates who enjoy feedback which helps them sell stuff.

Me, if I was trying to make money as an affiliate, I'd be happy to know that a merchant had updated his stale old 1994 banners with some new items that might actually sell something. (Please note, that I addressed the spam issue, also, in my original post.)

Thanks, just thought the more active affiliates would like an easy feedback tool, but if no one's interested in the idea, so be it. I'm easy.

Toxey

Well if it was an SAS mail that summarized only the programs I belong to, once a week migh be OK. I thought you were meaning for your program only. Sorry, I didn't understand the concept.
    Comments are opinion unless otherwise noted. Remember, pillage first. Then burn. Half of all people in the world have IQs under 100. You best learn to trust ol' SSanf!

That's okay, upon re-reading it I didn't spell it out very clearly... seemed clear to me, but only because I knew what I meant to say...

Which doesn't help anybody else, of course.

Thanks. And once a week would be much less intrusive, I agree.

Toxey

ABW Ambassador
    quote:
    I'm talking about one email from ShareASale that says (IF there were any changes) something like "The following of your merchants have made updates to their creatives (or product feed)." And then list the merchants.

Now, that's a good idea. I agree with Ssanf though - no more than one a week. Don't know how practical it would be from SaS's end, though.

Just send your affiliates a newsletter when you add new products. You can do that from your SAS control panel.

I receive at least one-half dozen e-mails per day from merchants who notify me of current news and graphic changes and additions. I would suspect that what seperates the men from the boys is to what degree we use those tools.
    Sharesale does a great job of opening the toolbox for us but we need to reach in and grab those tools for ourselves.
    I. for one, am quite content to visit Sharesale several times per week and surf about for ideas to improve my site.
    Terrie
    Moonbeam Mega Mall

quote:
    Originally posted by Moonbeam:
    ...Sharesale does a great job of opening the toolbox for us but we need to reach in and grab those tools for ourselves.
    I. for one, am quite content to visit Sharesale several times per week and surf about for ideas to improve my site.

Actually, I commend you for your attitude and proactiveness. Mainly I was thinking about the affiliates who are less active and might appreciate a little reminder that changes have occurred.

I brought this topic up because I have had almost 30 affiliates sign up for my program, but only about 5 have actually published any of my graphics or text links to their sites. Some still aren't participating after 10 days since joining the program.

I'm antsy to get this program swinging, but I don't want to be an annoying pest and email everyone saying "When? When?". I've sent one mass email inviting affiliates to give me special requests for graphics or text links, and basically stating that I was very open to helping them with their needs.

Number of replies? Zero. Disappointing to say the least. I'm not sure I see the benefits of joining an affiliate program and then not being active in it. Maybe someone can enlighten me on that. Of course, I could just be a too eager newbie, and maybe it takes this long for stuff like this to happen.

Thanks, lots of good info, I just don't want to be a spammy, annoying merchant to the folks who I look at as partners, while I'd really like my partners to "run with the ball".

Toxey

quote:
    I have had almost 30 affiliates sign up for my program, but only about 5 have actually published any of my graphics or text links to their sites. Some still aren't participating after 10 days since joining the program.

Good grief. Sometimes, it takes me a couple of months, maybe more before putting up a merchant.

When you are joined, you get on to the "to do" list. If an affiliate doesn't join when they see a program of interest, they are often waiting days or weeks for approval when they have the place where the merchant should go ready. They can't just get on with the job and put them up.

I often join a program of interest so it will be ready when I am.

Also, when they join you, you are on the affiliates active merchants list, a constant reminder on your behalf.

Forget about the ones who joined but are inactive. Concentrate on the 5 active ones. Look at their sites and see what you can offer to help, if anything.

Here's an idea that I don't know if it is a good one. Don't tell anybody but go and make a PR6 site that no one knows about which has obscure terms that no one will search for and link it to the pages where affiliates have your products. See if you can get their pages to rank higher or get in the search engines faster.

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    SAS and other network merchants have to understand recruiting active affiliates is an honesty game. ABWers should remember 2 years ago when I put 2 networks and 2 merchants to the task of showing what it takes to successfully grow a program.

1. The NETWORKS have to offer a trustworthy sales reporting platform for an honest AM to record 100% of the referral sales.

2. The AM has to be held accountable for the sales conversion ratios of their merchant clients through better creatives and landing pages. They had to throw away their IAB/BMA advertising cap and don the companies online sales managers cap.

The test action was reported to both BeFree and Linkshare management who were put on notice to cooperate with the 2 selected merchants to verify their reporting tags worked on all types of creatives. The carrot for these 2 networks was to prove they could be TRUSTED to at least report sales regardless of shopping carts used.

The test for the brand new AM's was to see if they'd follow my advice their program would attract active affiliates and their sales would blossom based upon high conversion landing pages. Both programs were DEAD in the water suffering from losing loyal affiliates, non-reporting of sales, trust and payment issues.

Both programs were required to open a forum at ABW to honestly communicate to and get feedback from ABWers. One was OverStock (Shawn=new AM) and the other was TigerDirect (Andy=new AM). Both agreed to make conversion ratio their sole judgement factor on the health of their programs. Both reported in a head to head battle their conversion ratios quite often. Both increased their number of active affiliates by a factor of 10. Both during the test period increased their affiliate channel sales month over month by 400-800%

Guess I should have charged them, and the 2 networks, a fee as advisor and cheerleader or neither would have taken a nose dive into the darkside of the advertising mindset. Amazing they both can easily follow the same tried and trusted path to steady program growth, burying their competition as a bunch of losers in the process.

Fire away you flamers like the ABB crowd of losers trying to re-write history because they have no plan to counter the bald truth and tough choices that had to be made.

SAS when they borrowed the Preferred Merchant Idea forgot a simple ingrediant. I also advised them to be the first network to actually PUBLISH their merchants networkwide conversion ratio. You can't fish without bait ...and I'm still the "master baiter".
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

"Good grief. Sometimes, it takes me a couple of months, maybe more before putting up a merchant."

Second that!

I'd sure like to see more merchants being 'antsie' about making sure at least 1 sale occurs for every 500 clicks once the creatives are up. And having good enough creatives so at least 1 click occurs for each 100 impressions. Do that and affiliates will be racing to get your ads up.

Multiple person response:

SSanf: Thanks for the info, guess I'm just super eager. Since I changed my site to shtml I sort of fell out of the search engines (just now regaining with promotional efforts), and I'm very eager for sales... affiliate sales! Because I think what will attract affiliates to a program is evidence of return on their time (i.e. commissions). Just looking at these zero clicks every day has got me bummed. The time I put into creatives and product feed was well spent, but only if it gets used. Your extra site idea is great, of course, I've been sneaking affiliates into my Weblog as they've joined, but I'm not sure I'm going to extend the priviledge anymore until an affiliate is active. I'm all about promoting, but only if there's a reason (i.e. my products) to do so.

EcomCity.com: Thanks, you've definitely confirmed I'm a newbie... because I didn't understand almost everything you said in your post. I gleaned out of the jargon "be honest", "be accountable", "pay attention to conversion ratio". The rest was above my head, or about a different topic than the one I mentioned. This is very good advice, for even the perception of dishonesty is disastrous for a business. But it doesn't really apply if an affiliate doesn't participate in the program by putting up banners/links. His conversion ratio will remain zero and there's nothing the merchant can do to change it.

web_novice: I guess I fit the bill, I was very unhappy that no sales had occurred at click 100. Let alone 500! I'll be a basket case by then. I suppose once I get some sales on the books, my numbers will start to look more enticing... but it's not new applicants I'm worried about, it current applicants. I guess I should be happy they applied and are waiting, instead of waiting to apply. If I hadn't had any applicants at all I might have written the affiliate program idea off.

Anyway, I'd be happy to have anyone check to see if my creatives are good enough. I take advice well, criticism okay, and insults I don't take at all. But it doesn't matter how lovely and nice they are, if they grow dusty from lack of use.

Toxey

How do you manage to track affiliate sales if you are using the PayPal shopping cart?

I'm curious because I also use PayPay and if there is a way to do it maybe I'll signup at SAS too!

Send a PM if you want . . .

Hi web_novice. It CAN be done... I was going to post a private tutorial, but I'm starting a new topic on the ShareASale list since I can't find this info here (or anywhere else clearly, for that matter).

Hopefully this will help several folks avoid the nightmare I had with it.

Toxey

If you're wondering why you're not getting sign-ups or sales, I think you're looking in the wrong place.

I've seen wholesale prices for many of those security and safety things and the markup is huge! Your prices seem high. That was a while ago and I guessed it's possible things have changed, so I clicked on your personal alarms page and entered "personal alarm" into Google(without quotes). Your prices are way more than anyone else's. I don't even have to click on any links. It's so easy to compare prices on that kind of thing that you're not going to get many sales no matter how many clicks you get. Your spy equipment prices are okay though. At least a lot more comparable to your competitors.

But you know what the biggest problem is?

7% COMMISSION?!!!

You don't know me so I don't expect my word to mean anything to you. So, only this one fact, you have a competitor paying more than you -- they're paying FIFTEEN PERCENT! Over twice what you're paying! They look like they have a bigger selection too. And get this, they have a 2 tier program that pays 10% on the second tier! With first and second tier they end up paying over 3 1/2 times what you do! You pay 60 days, they pay 3 years! Man, I'm talking myself into this!

But don't listen to me. if I were smart I'd sign up for that competitor and try to get people to sign up under me. I'd probably make more than signing up and trying to promote your program. I won't though, at least not at this point. I guess I just get a little irritated when I see offers that imply the offerer is either stupid or ignorant or they think I am. if it's ignorance on your part, that's easy to fix. If not I'll bet there'll be some here... well, you know.

To show you I'm not just being mean, I will give you one positive. I like your site -- clean and simple -- at least that's how I like it. I rarely see a site I think needs more instead of less, yours is one of those.

Well, I would like to help but honestly, I am uncomfortable with the product. Just not my sort of thing. That could be a bit of the problem. It just isn't for everyone.

Don't take it to heart Toxey.

That wasn't EcomMike posting that it was his bloody parrot, when you get to know them you'll notice the parrot spells better than Mike.

Hi Mike
    One day parasites and their ilk will be made illegal, I bet a few Lawyers will be pissed off when the day comes.
    Mr. Spitzer is fetching it nearer

YouTrek

To "umm i dunno",

When have I ever claimed I wasn't getting people to sign up! You've blown the argument immediately by saying so. I said I have inactive affiliates who have signed up and are not yet participating.

For the rest of your should-have-been-private post, I address the following highly inaccurate remarks:

Unless you're looking on ebay, I can't see how you can claim my prices are "way more" than everyone elses. That's insane!

Most of the sluggos offering same or similar products offer everything at retail, without ANY discount. Period. Page after page of the same prices, the same website, the same template.

Your claim is just nuts. I'm sure you've seen wholesale prices, but my markups are not huge in any way. Just the opposite. There are quite a few products that I don't offer because after shipping I can't make enough money to waste time selling them. Why should I take 5 minutes to process an order that I make $.33 cents selling at FULL RETAIL, when I make $55.00 an hour as a Private Investigator? Do the math: $55.00 divided by 12 (there are 12 5-minute periods in an hour) = $4.58. That's the minimum I'll make on a sale and still feel like I'm not wasting time better spent earning a living. What you'll find, if you have REALLY seen wholesale prices, is that most of the cheaper products I do offer I make between $4.58 and $5.00 (AFTER I pay commission to an affiliate). Are you really suggesting I should charge just enough that I pay an affiliates commission and lose money for every sale? Really?

The reason I started this site is because there are literally hundreds of competitors that are overpricing this stuff. Many tell outright lies about the retail costs and pretend they are marking them down (some inflate these prices by $500 or more).

If someone is selling any of these products cheaper than me, there are several possible reasons. One, they are baiting customers to their own overpriced products, and don't care that they make $4 selling a $1000 piece of equipment, as long as they get your bookmark to later gouge you. Or Two, they have a SIMILAR product with inferior specs that they have slapped the same picture on. Or Three, they genuinely enjoy losing money!

For an example of the first two, I invite you to try Froogle on any of my hidden cameras. Your best bet for an example of deceptive practices is a company that can be found at www.spyt*wn.com (I put an * in there to avoid legal liability, you figure out what letter is missing).

I invite ANYONE to do an actual informal survey of my prices with the aggregate body of marketers out there. PLEASE. Find out for yourself, as "umm i dunno" suggests, whether or not I am really "way higher" than every one else.

Why am I offering 7% commission? Because I have studied marketing and economics in what we call a "school". You see, I am offering products that are (YES) discounted far below the majority of my competitors. Common sense would say, if I pay less commission on cheaper products then my affiliates will make less money, right? Well common sense is amazingly wrong on this, as anyone familiar with actual business reality will tell you. Do you make more money at 15% commission when somebody manages to sell 3 items at $1000 than you would make at 7% commission from a guy who sells 10 at $800? Again, I'll do the math for you: at 7% you'd make $110 dollars more than the 15% guy.

Lower prices moves products, and I somehow felt 7% was right for my program. Why? Because at 7% my affiliates only make a little more than I do each time I sell something. Somehow I didn't feel it was right to pay an affiliate TWICE what I make selling the product (or losing money because of the commissions). Of course, I could raise my HIGHLY DISCOUNTED prices to accomodate a higher commission, and just might, but then I might sell less products and then (again) the affiliates would end up making less money. (Buy an economics book, you can find a used one).

As for a two-tier program, are you aware that I've had this program for about 11 days? That I might have plans to offer a two-tier program in the future? That I may raise my commissions, but am starting at a reasonable rate to allow me to move up as needed? Perhaps if you'd read my posts, some of that information would already be apparent to you now. Based on your post, I doubt it.

Has it ever occurred to you, the slightest possibility, that these programs offer such high commission rates for a reason? Perhaps they are SEVERELY OVERPRICED and can afford it! Perhaps they are incredibly desperate for as many affiliates as possible because they know that only a very small percentage of visitors is not going to run away in terror from their awful web site and high prices.

Please, PLEASE join the 15% two-tier program of this other site. I want to hear back from you after a few months. I'm only in this 11 days, and I'm perfectly happy with how many people have signed up. Perhaps they are more discerning, or have more knowledge of economics... maybe they just hate ugly banners. But give me more than 11 days, huh? Maybe I'm right and these other desperadoes are offering 15% of nothing. 7% of actual sales is much better than 15%, 25%, even 100% of stagnation.

As for products, guess what, I'm adding them all the time. Feed just updated. Why do I offer less? Because this is the 3rd version of the web site, the one I built specifically for my 11 day old affiliate program. In my eagerness to get the search engines comfortable with my new shtml pages, I have offered up quite a few pages that say "More coming soon" in the product listings. I hope I don't have to explain that to you.

I am always amazed at people who interpret something that carries no personal judgement (like a percentage number, for example) as being an insult to themselves. How 7% implies you are stupid or ignorant is beyond me. Personally, I'm confident enough in my intelligence not to be hurt by numbers. You're obviously intelligent, although highly ignorant of the facts, so I can see no reason why you'd be offended by 7%. If you don't like it, don't join... but to rant against me in a public forum shows a decided lack of good sense and quality on your part. Perhaps you could post your web sites in reply so I can tell you whether I would even consider you eligible for my program. Then again, why bother.

Thanks for your compliments on the quality of the site. I'm pleased that there is at least one small thing about your rant that I cannot find fault with.

Again, this should have been handled privately, but since your claims are provably ridiculous I don't mind so much. But it would have looked better for you to not engage in a thread that had NOTHING to do with your comments, especially without having a solid bed of facts and certitude to base your claims.

I considered reporting your post, and may do so yet, as I am not totally convinced that you are not in fact a representative of one of my competitors. If not, then I apologize for the suggestion. But your words and actions are highly suspect, sir.

I apologize to the other members of the forum for my harsh response to this anonymous person, and doing so publically. But you must admit that I was "called out", and could not but defend myself from such an amazingly false and unbecoming post.

I again extend the invitation to anyone interested to compare my prices for the same products with my competitors. Yes, there are those who are cheaper, a few. But they don't have affiliate mouths to feed, and I can't compete with the few competitors who are somehow determined to price their products BELOW MY COSTS. I'd love to, but reality interferes in the stupidity of that plan.

Thanks for you patience with my affronted and highly indignant response.

Toxey McDavid

Quick followup to "umm i dunno"'s idea to search for "personal alarms" on Google.

Please do so, but first visit my site and see what I'm actually offering. Personal alarms were NOT going to be offered AT ALL on my site because I would lose money every time I sold one after I paid 7% commission to an affiliate. I don't know about "um i dunno", but I can't afford to repeatedly lose money... can any of you?

I got around that by offering combination deals, something "umm i dunno" didn't check. I have offered the personal alarms in combination with one of my pepper sprays, which was the only way I could make a minimum profit and STILL offer a discount. You can't compare apples to oranges.

My prices, in combination with the pepper spray, are between 13% and 17% off retail. That's a discount below my normal competitors, mind you, who usually offer these products at retail (or above).

So please, compare my prices as "umm i dunno" has failed to do. You'll need to know math, a calculator is okay of course... just add the price of a PS-2 Pepper spray to the Personal alarm before you compare.

Thanks again,

Toxey

quote:
    Somehow I didn't feel it was right to pay an affiliate TWICE what I make selling the product

Affiliates, too have costs to running their businesses. So, what you pay is not the same as what they "make".

Well, I can definitely appreciate that. I don't want to give the impression that I'm not interested in the affiliates side of things. I am for sure. If I fail to be, then I'll quickly not have the support of my affiliates.

Thanks again,

Toxey

I wasn't ignoring this. I was debating if I should post or just let it go, since I don't really post here much anyway. and I've been trying to stay away lately since ABW just hasn't been as motivating as it used to be. Lately I've been leaving in a worse mood that I arrived.

I was wrong I shouldn't have posted here. I was judging you on things besides affiliate marketing and I was posting more based on other things. Partly some offline stresses, and I had gone to that Chernobyl site and come back and saw your site, and with what was on tv, I lumped them all together in my mind and judged you on things that weren't relevant. I can't believe I avoided all those political threads and this is what got me.

I've always disliked when people start trashing a merchant here about things that should be done politely or handled in private. When I've had a problem with a merchant I'm with I usually just write to them, if they don't reply, and the issue is big enough, I just pull their links. I've never been tempted to post here about it. Though I've never been ripped off like some here, at least not by any merchant. So, there are some times I understand and this is different, joining a merchant implies a relationship and an acceptance of their products. But if I don't care for what someone is selling I usually just move on and don't promote it. Which is what I should have done.

You're going to report me? You should. Not sure who to though. Then again just wait awhile, if this administration somehow gets in again, I'm sure I'll lose it at least once more and post something somewhere. By then there'll probably be some law you can get me on. Is there one yet where you can be prosecuted for your opinions.

Thanks umm I dunno,

That was a very gracious statement and very much appreciated. I know what you mean by lumping together stress and getting "set off" by something not really related.

In fact, my fairly hostile reply was the result of my having that very same habit. I should have responded with a question, probed for more info, stated my case... and left out the indignant attitude. My apologies for not approaching this on a less personal level, and my thanks for your reply.

As for "reporting you" :P, I was just referring to that "Report this post" button at the bottom of every post. I wasn't going to "report you" anyway... besides I'm probably naive to think that button would accomplish anything.

Hope there's no hard feelings, and wish you the best of success.

Best regards,

Toxey

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast