Ok...First off..I'm not looking at ripping anyones site off! LOL

I have one and only one site. In the Children's Industry. So if you are in another industry...I was wondering if anyone could share with me their site or others using CJ. I'm always wondering how much "custom" work is allowed. I have no direct Data Feeds, but will be looking into this in the future.

You are welcome to PM me if you would not like to post here.
    Thanks
    Mel

Interesting...being new to CJ I too wanted to see how other people worked it. Fortunately, some of the people here give their urls when they post messages so you can take a look at their sites.

Yes...I do check out Sig Lines, but I never know how much "we can do". For Example...the basic product Link with the description and "Buy" button. can we customize this? Can we use this text in our own format?
    Mel

I do my own product write ups, change pictures if I don't like what they have (including size) and you can change the buy button to say anything you want.
    Ebudae

What Ebudae said. Also, if they don't have a picture, I'll go the manufacturer's site (if they have one) and see if I can find one there. Pictures always help. People want to see what they are buying.

I remember when I was new on this board, I didn't understand why people were so secretive about their URLs. It was politely explained to me that there had been cases of unscrupulous people copying entire sites. So, basically, people are just protecting their work product from thieves and that's why you don't see a lot of URLs in signatures.

Thank You both.

Yes...I understand the hush hush of URL's...mines missing! LOL That is why I invited PMs..I guess people don't know me, so why should they trust me!

Anyway..In regards to the customization, I guess my main worry is copyright infringement, but publishers/ merchants have to get their info from somewhere!

Thanks again
    Mel

Hi Mel,

If you are helping to sell a product for a merchant, I don't think you are going to hear either the merchant or the manufacturer complain that you copied word-for-word what they wrote about the product on their site. Or that you re-wrote it in a way that helped to promote the product better, especially if it produces sales.

As long as you present the product ethically, and don't make any misrepresentations about it, there shouldn't be anything to worry about. That's sort of the point of affiliate marketing ... you present the product in a new and different way that makes people want to buy it, resulting in sales. You also have to figure out how to get high search engine placement, but that's a different topic.

What you don't want to do is go to the site of somebody else who is promoting a product, and duplicate their efforts. Here's another way to look at it. I've designed non-affiliate sites for friends/clients. The first thing they say to me is, "I'd like my site to look like ..." and then give me a list of their competition's sites. I absolutely refuse to go look at the sites. Why would I want to see them? I think of myself as a creative person. So, I like to come up with my own ideas without being influenced by what somebody else has done. The best way to do that, is not to look.

The fact that you asked, what your limitations are, tells me you are thinking creatively and want to do something different than what has already been done before. Go with it! As long as you know in your heart that you aren't trying to promote a product in an unethical way, you probably aren't doing anything wrong.

Tracy

quote:
    What you don't want to do is go to the site of somebody else who is promoting a product, and duplicate their efforts.

I absolutely agree. I guess I should have asked the question differently and left out the asking for examples. Thus the reason I asked for examples outside of my industry. Copyright was my main concern when it came to this post. I would love to take the CJ descriptions out of thet standard format..I just did not know if this was allowed. I guess if no one did, it be a boring net!

quote:
    The fact that you asked, what your limitations are, tells me you are thinking creatively and want to do something different than what has already been done before. Go with it!

Yes..my site is my own. I'm learning from the ground up. I got a lot of compliments on my site, which means a lot to me. LOL...I went to an Art Shool, so we learn out to think creative!

And yes...I'm still learning SEO! What fun! I'm also looking into data feed and such.

I appreciate all your comments and suggestions.
    Mel

ABW Ambassador
    quote:
    Originally posted by Tracy:
    Hi Mel,

What you don't want to do is go to the site of somebody else who is promoting a product, and duplicate their efforts. Here's another way to look at it. I've designed non-affiliate sites for friends/clients. The first thing they say to me is, "I'd like my site to look like ..." and then give me a list of their competition's sites. I absolutely refuse to go look at the sites. Why would I want to see them? I think of myself as a creative person. So, I like to come up with my own ideas without being influenced by what somebody else has done. The best way to do that, is not to look.
    Tracy

Tracy, You really are right on target. I just found out today that one of the merchants at cj that I promote has actually copied one of his better affiliate sites and even gave it a similar name. Can you imagine that! How pathetic. It's bad enough when another affiliate duplicates the efforts of another affiliate but when the actual merchant is competing with his own affiliates. That is really pathetic. Another merchant at linkshare in a similar category got wind of this and informed a bunch of us affiliates about it. The merchant at cj is being laughed at, but I actually feel sorry for the affiliate.

Sounds like someone that should be outted so affiliates can abandon that ship.
    Scott
    If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, then baffle them with bulls#!t
    Don't tell me that you'll do it... SHOW ME.
    Just because everyone else is drinking it is no reason for me to drink the KOOL-AID.

I really cannot believe somebody would have the kahunahs to do that!

I'm sorry if I was taken wrong, I did not want to look at anyones "style" or design of their overall site..I just wanted to see if we were allowed to customize.

I would be so upset and ticked off if anyone copied my site. I know of 2 other sites that are my main "competitors" and our sites look Nothing, nothing at all like each other. One is "generic" looking..the other a cookie cutter SBI site or something..mine is all hand made..from my logo to the buttons.

Mel

PS..can you tell us who did this? Or at least a hint?

Mel, I'm like you - all my sites are hand rolled. lol, I have even been known to make a better banner if I didn't like the one the merchant had. I have never had any complaints yet.

So go for it - something unique will do better in the long run and it is a lot more satisfying too!

Good Luck!!
    Ebudae

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    quote:
    Originally posted by Nature Boy:
    Sounds like someone that should be outted so affiliates can abandon that ship.

Absolutely!
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

Mel

Before following some of the advice given above, be sure and read the merchants terms of service. Some merchants strickly forbid modifing their banners or ads including the sizing. While some give you latitude in product spin or description, others only allow spin that they provide. Most give you a degree of latitude in doing your own ads. They do, however, require you to submit for their approval. Lifting pictures from manufactures sites without approval is theft and violation of copyrights. Mainly, just get permission for any variation from the merchants advertizing banners and links. A lot of people get away with lots of questionable activities, but that does not make them right or legal. Check with your merchants first.

Gene
    TCS

quote:
    Originally posted by TCS:
    A lot of people get away with lots of questionable activities, but that does not make them right or legal. Check with your merchants first.

Gene
    TCS

I would like to add - I don't "get away" with anything - all my merchants know what I am doing and I do so with their approval.
    Ebudae

There's one merchant that copied my layout on to his site. Didn't bother to copy the pictures and host them himself. Just linked to my pictures. I noticed this months ago, but with three hurricanes and three computer crashes, I've just been too busy with bigger problems to be bothered. I did move the pictures to another directory. Last time I looked, there were still red x's in place of the pictures.

Actually, I don't think the merchant even knows about it. It's some college kid he hired to do his layout.

ABW Ambassador
    quote:
    Originally posted by Tracy:
    There's one merchant that copied my layout on to his site. Didn't bother to copy the pictures and host them himself. Just linked to my pictures. I noticed this months ago, but with three hurricanes and three computer crashes, I've just been too busy with bigger problems to be bothered. I did move the pictures to another directory. Last time I looked, there were still red x's in place of the pictures.

Actually, I don't think the merchant even knows about it. It's some college kid he hired to do his layout.

The site I am talking about is a huge elaborate content site that has been around for years. Believe me, the merchant is well aware of it and was behind it. I would love to out this merchant here but I think that is up to the actual affiliate to do that.

Our new site is in beta, but you can see how we use some of the CJ stuff. Magazines, banners. We are working on some datafeed stuff too.

www DOT motorheadcity DOT com SLASH CMS

(cms has to be in captials)

Ebudae,

My apologies. My statements were not intended to indict anyone in particular. My intention was to answer the question posed. The point was, if one wishes to make changes to the merchants ads, one should first get permission. Some merchants do not allow changes with the threat of removal from their program if you do make changes.

Ebudae, you are a shining example of what I said about getting permission from the merchant first. Many merchants will allow you to modify their ads or for you to make your own if you get their approval.

The important message to Mel is that he should consult with his merchants first before he follows what others suggest, as his merchants are the final policy makers regarding their ads.

Happy Holidays.

Gene
    TCS

ABW Ambassador
    I f any content of the code provided by cj.com is changed the merchant can reject a sale and pay no commission. No matter if text or pics are changed.

carneol

21. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread