Hello,
    I will be officially lauching in a few weeks or so. I launched my own affiliate network awhile ago, and realized I wasn't ready for the affiliate scene. We will be making an official launch with Share A Sale in the near future but are still working on getting stock together and our web site.

I have a question that a merchant or affiliate can answer:We will have some specialty watch bands for sale. Some of the items cost only $12-70 or so.. Other places that sell these items charge about $2.00 for shipping as you can ship in a padded envelope. The problem I have is that most other places send it by regular mail..If we do that..how do we make sure we don't get frauded by someone saying they didn't get their item?

Charging for insurace on these smaller items would cost about $7 US. That is way too much when comparing with other companies. The profit margin on some of these bands are not too good, so absorbing additional costs would be quite expensive. Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    Richard Lupu
    ARA Master Watchmaker & Sons
    www.masterwatchmaker.net

The profit margin should be better than " not too good ". You are paying too much.

Cause the cost of the shipping is built in the final price of the watch.

So $70.00 watch cost should only cost you $35.00 /$45.00 add shipping $7.00 or what ever it is to the base and that is the actual cost.

In the early 90's we dealt directly with Swiss made watches from the manufacture. Getting them to be previewed by well known TV shopping show was easy. A $12.00 their cost swiss watch sold for $25.00 +4.95 SH via UPS. Their cost for UPS was 2.50 approx. So they made $ on the product and shipping.

UPS has a tracking system to prove the item was received. You can track it on line.

Call UPS and ask for a flat rate if you plan to ship many per day.

Ship your self a watch and track it.
    www.joeytomatoes.com :: Day Care For Your Brain

Thanks for such a quick reply! The watch purchases I don't mind charging the actualshipping charge with insurance because most of our watches will cost $175 +.

I was thinking more of the small items, such as $20 watch band.

I will check into the ups system.

Thanks,
    Richard
    www.masterwatchmaker.net

http://www.canadapost.ca/segment-e.asp

Has a free tracking system for packages.
    www.joeytomatoes.com :: Day Care For Your Brain

Defender of Truth, Justice and the Affiliate Way
    Richard,

I ship both USPS and UPS. UPS is going to run you more no matter what.

As long as the bands are below 13 oz in shipping weight (which I assume they are if others are shipping at $2), you can ship First Class via USPS. As long as the package exceeds 1/4 in with thickness, it is considered a "parcel" and you can afix Delivery Confirmation the the First Class mail item. Endicia has a very nice software application to ship electronically through USPS.

I have several items I ship that way and I've never had a problem yet. Knock on wood.

ABW Ambassador
    Winterpeg, the Mosquito Capital of Canada
    Ya Ms B, but shipping from the swamp vs shipping from Canada are two different things
    They do some pretty hefty pricing on even small packages here with Canada Post

Even got to the point they now are charging fuel surcharges on top of the prices in some instances

Defender of Truth, Justice and the Affiliate Way
    Right you are WW. My bad. I completely missed the Canada in the From.

Disregard my post.

UPS does the fuel surcharges. Been seeing that reflected with current gas prices in my UPS bill.

Thanks for all of your replies!

I checked with ups and they are out of the question. $17 is the cheapest they will ship on even the smallest of all items.

I will have to go through a service here in Canada called Expresspost..Will cost half of UPS. But it does have a tracking number. You guys are great!

Thanks,
    Richard Lupu
    www.masterwatchmaker.net

Watchmaker,

You may also want to consider running a test for a month or two using regular postage - first class mail for the watch bands and charge what others seem to be charging for the same item. If fraud becomes a problem, you can always react by changing your shipping method to one that is tracked. The test would allow you to determine if the occasional "lost" shipment can be absorbed easier than shipping costs for all items shipped with tracking codes. Determine the breakeven point and make an informed decision based on actual experience.

Thanks,
    I am going to have to ball park my postage. Anything over $50 will be sent with insurance and delivery confirmation. Checked with UPS, really expensive.

Thanks for all your help!

Richard Lupu (Son of Master Watchmaker)
    www.masterwatchmaker.net
    www.masterwatchmaker.net

Can FedEx (Federal Express) be used in Canada? Or are Canada Post, Expresspost, and UPS the only options? I only mention FedEx because they are generally cheaper to use than UPS here in the states (and they include basic $100 insurance as well as tracking capabilities).

Good Luck!
    Bart at <A HREF=http://www.modernartisans.com>Modern Artisans</A>... Artful Living for Home, Garden & Soul.
    <A HREF=https://shareasale.com/shareasale.cfm?merchantID=4349>Shareasale Affiliate Program</A>

Hi Modern Artisans,

I believe Fed Ex is really expensive here in Canada. There are other courier services, but they are expensive. Expresspost offers insurance and 2-5 day delivery in Canada.Sent two watch bands to Florida yesterday using Expresspost. It cost $8.75 Canadian funds or About $6.25 US. We'll absorb some of the costs of shipping for now.

Thanks for your reply.
    We are at the launch stage with Share a Sale. Just waiting to be activated.

Richard Lupu
    www.masterwatchmaker.net
    www.masterwatchmaker.net

13. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread