ABW Ambassador
    We want our affiliates to be successful and obviously converting sales is the merchant's issue, so with that in mind I'm here asking for a site critique. I'm posting this here because we are with SAS.

I'm looking for a consumer and affiliates point of view, what can we do to improve our site and thus, conversions? Some things are impossible to change, others are being changed as we speak, but I'm curious what you think?

http://www.australian-native.com

Thanks in advance to anyone who adds their 2c!

To be honest..the background makes me dizzy...
    Use a different font, looks too cutesy, like someone's homepage..
    Which, makes me wonder if this is some business being run out of someone's basement and makes me leary of purchasing.

But that is just my opinion...I am sure others will disagree..

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Nice site SammyT and only suggestion would be to profile your artists with a nice seperate page to personalize them. Second would be to increase the size of your enlarged product and artwork pictures. Forget page size as you already have the buyers interest and they can wait a few seconds more.
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

One more tip...don't take any site design advice from Mike or Charlie

ABW Ambassador
    i think the site looks great - cutsy but organised.

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    I only took a quick look, but...

IMO the homepagey look is coming from that woodgrain border. Major ecommerce sites never have anything like that. Homepages do. Therefore, its presence causes an automatic association with personal homepages.
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

ABW Ambassador
    Thanks for the suggestions all - keep em coming!!

From what I've heard so far, I'll change the font to verdana, it's very clean and easy to read. The woody background is very thematic to the site, outback Australian and all that, so I'm afraid it will be staying (keep in mind, most affiliate links go to the product pages which don't have this background).

I agree with the artists profile Mike, I'll work on that - re: the image sizes, all t-shirts have a HUGE popup of the t-shirts image, so I think that should be ok as is.

Sorry again to Leader about the woodgrain, but as I said, I tried to make the site suit the theme as much as possible.

Nothing too brutal so far, thanks all!!

The **homepage look** (as others have called it) works for me as a shopper.

For me, this site makes me think of the little shops you visit when you are on vacation. The shops that are regional and have unique items that you can't go to Wal-mart and purchase.

There's my 2 cents...

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

The big shots are only the little shots who keep shooting.
    -Christopher Morley

The design works well for the product, 'cutesy' is a good look for his product.

Troll Killer and best Snooper!
    I decide when the pigs fly!
    Samy, I have to wonder if the main obstacle is that most customers are in North America and you're in Oz, and they don't have a clue about shipping costs, duties, etc.

Maybe it would help if you put an easy-to-spot message above the fold on each page that makes it clear shipping to the U.S. is duty-free.

As for the cutesy stuff, well, a lot of your products are pretty funky, so I wouldn't expect your site to have a corporate look. Funky-retro-artsy, yes! Just my 2ยข.

Seems like I meant to put that up but don't remember if I did or not.

I'm slipping.

Senility is a annoying.

Where did I put that site, anyhow?
    Comments are opinion unless otherwise noted. Remember, pillage first. Then burn. Half of all people in the world have IQs under 100. You best learn to trust ol' SSanf!

I'm not too high on the overall look of the homepage. I think I'd go with "too cutesy" as well.

I do like the way you have these pages laid out. Clean and crisp. I would move the search box above the fold though.
    Scott
    If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, then baffle them with bulls#!t
    Don't tell me that you'll do it... SHOW ME.
    Just because everyone else is drinking it is no reason for me to drink the KOOL-AID.

ABW Ambassador
    Oooh, thanks for the advice Rhea, I'll work that in somewhere LOL

Oscommerce is a pitb to work with when it comes to putting messages in places.

Thanks Nature Boy - the affiliate links mostly go to the product pages, so that is mostly what people see anyway.

I'm actually surprised everyone spoke about the site design, is it the only thing that affects conversions? We're not exactly a runaway success and I would really like to improve the sales for the affiliates.

I like your site. It presents itself very well and I found it quite easy to navigate. I expect, although, that I should wait until I'm accepted as an affiliate before I place my order. *smile* (my wife is a dolphin fanatic!)
    Terrie
    Moonbeam Mega Mall

ABW Ambassador
    Ohhhhhhh you're accepted, no problems there!

quote:
    Originally posted by SamyT:
    O
    I'm actually surprised everyone spoke about the site design, is it the only thing that affects conversions? We're not exactly a runaway success and I would really like to improve the sales for the affiliates.

G'day Sammy - I'm the guy who emailed you over the weekend and asked permission to use one of your Tshirt graphics instead of a banner

Site design can have a great impact on sales - I was only reading a report today on marketing experiments.com just how much the design of the homepage can influence surfers to either go on or leave.

But if you say that most of the traffic is being sent direct to the product pages perhaps there may be something else that is causing the problems?

Have the number of hits from your affiliates been what you expected?

Are the affiliates qualifying them back on their site or just shooting them in cold from a banner?

Those are just rhetorical questions and ones that I'm sure you would have mulled over already.

SamyT-

Wow, I thought you where a "pure affiliate", didn't realize you had your hands in both sides. Cool.

Here's a suggestion. A friend and I had a long chat about this in Salzburg drinking too much beer in the early days online, and I think you could prove our theory (and I think it could have a major impact on your conversion rate)

Getting an Australian designed shirt is cool, getting it from Australia is VERY COOL. Our thought was that appealing to the coolness factor of buying stuff online, was getting it from somewhere outside the US. I know it's somewhat implied by the site name, but the "ship direct from" drives the point home, and helps build USP.

Having "shipped direct from Australia" POP on every page could be helpful in increasing sales. I've got a pen I bought in Salzburg that is cool, and made cooler by the fact no one can buy it in the US. "Not available in US stores", if true, could be a nice little addition too.

There's just something a little extra cool about getting something from overseas.

Best

ABW Ambassador
    Thanks for the comments guys - re: Are the affiliates qualifying them back on their site or just shooting them in cold from a banner? - that seems to be the bulk of hits, despite the datafeed and PSC making product links easy to make.

Having said that, most of the clicks ending in sales seem to come from those who add product links to their websites.

re:Wow, I thought you where a "pure affiliate", didn't realize you had your hands in both sides. Cool.

Kinda yeah. I am an affiliate, that is how I make my living. I am also the (unpaid) AM for Australian Native which is my mothers business.. I understand affiliate marketing and can deal with all the issues a lot better. It's enough for mum just handling the sales on the website.

19. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread