The affiliate formerly known as ojmoo
    I joined Just Pillows yesterday spend several hours replacing some products links I had with a merchant who is known to had parasites. Anyway, I finished at approximately 10PM last night, I checked this morning and I already have a sale from Just Pillows. I am most pleased

Mike

ABW Ambassador
    Nice one!

Could anybody explain to me what is "parasites" that ojmoo was talking about .. it appear in many places..

tks.

Phil

ABW has an entire section on this, go look there, but according to www.parasiteware.com the official definition is:

ParasiteWareâ„¢ - is technology (including, but not restricted to, browser helpers, browser plug-ins, toolbars and pop ups/sliders) that knowingly or unknowingly undermines or removes another affiliate's ability to compete by changing, intercepting or redirecting an affiliate link. Parasitewareâ„¢ may be installed knowingly or unknowingly by the end user, altering their normal web browser functions and/or installing a third party application that works through the user's altered browser.

ABW Ambassador
    quote:
    Could anybody explain to me what is "parasites" that ojmoo was talking about

Parasites are especially evil when they get into pillows.

Hi,
    thank you for the explaination, I just wonder what kind of people will be stupid enough to install this kind of program and make all the affiliate walk away... because they are sending the traffice for nothing...... ..

I agree --- it's a evil ..

Phil

Soho,

Parasites aren't installed by affiliates, they are installed by ordinary users. Programs such as ebates and upromise are parasites.

Mike

ABW Ambassador
    Parasites can come preinstalled on machines. They can get in a machine through Trojans, or they might come in the form of a program that gives "shopping rewards" or that claim to give money to their favorite charity. Personally, I suspect that real affiliates end up giving more to charities than those that install parasites for charity.

quote:
    Originally posted by yintercept:
    Parasites can come preinstalled on machines. They can get in a machine through Trojans, or they might come in the form of a program that gives "shopping rewards" or that claim to give money to their favorite charity. Personally, I suspect that real affiliates end up giving more to charities than those that install parasites for charity.
    Parasites not only steal your earnings, they also can change your ads in "adult"sites,the only defence I know is to use ad aware,when I tried other systems, they blocked my ads, like spyware, As far as I know,CJ had some, with third parties supposed to send earnings, either the merchants or CJ knew what was going on,after haveing some strong sales on CJ merchants, and no check, I dropped the whole program, didn't lose merchants I gained the experience, now I hear some LS has the same,so far none of the SAS nmerchants have parasites, or Be free, and Performics, when I check reports and see sales on Linkshare and no check, I deleted those merchants,Be free counts earnings depending on your domain name and web url, that's another problem, if you have sites with many pages,I have 4 sites, all registered with Verisign, and have 38 search programs, google,ask jeeved, etc. they find the sites, products and pages,so, everytime I turn on, I check ad aware, and find hundreds of parasites each week, one changed a coupon offer from overstock to a completly different page,that wasn't mine.
    My nickles worth,
    JJ

10. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread