just got this:

Dear Elisabeth.com Publisher,

Thank you for promoting Elisabeth.com! Your hard work this past year is very much appreciated.

Heading into 2005, we want to make sure the affiliate program is better then ever. After comparing the program with other merchants, we realized:

o We were simply paying too much
    o We were not receiving the exposure we expect considering our competition is paying much less

This brings us to the commission structure change starting January 1, 2005. The commission rate will change to a flat 6%. We know this is a drastic change. However, we want to work with you closer and work out a commission that fits with the exposure you can guarantee us.

Feel free to contact us and look forwarding to working together in 2005.

Sincerely,

The Elisabeth.com Affiliate Team

--------------------------

I'm sure many of us will back-burner any plans we had for more exposure of their links this coming year.

Hello Herb,

This program is managed by GSI. Might be worth it to write directly to someone at Elisabeth.com (Liz Claiborne, actually) to let them know directly.

PM me if you would like me to dig up a contact over there.
    Best,

David Rogers
    Sr. Manager, E-Commerce
    New Line Cinema
    212 649-4900
    NewLineShop.com
    WBShop.com
    TheOCInsiderShop.com

Herb I think what they forgot to add was: "We have almost 90% reversal rate"!! Is it any wonder that they are not receiving the exposure they expect? Affiliates probably couldn't be bothered promoting them anymore - after all what's the point when for every 2 sales you make for them, one of them gets reversed. They may as well just pull out of the affiliate marketing arena, because I sure as hell am not going to bother with them anymore, especially now that they are dropping their commission rate.

Domain Addict / Formerly known as elbowcreek Thomas A. Rice's Avatar
    I love how it starts out..... in order to improve our program we have to cut your commission. Lol, someone on the staff there needs to manage someone's political campaign, they got the touch.

Note how it leaves the door open for an increase in commission if you contact them regarding a commitment of exposure for their program. So, if you generate sales for them, I'm betting you can write back and threaten to send traffic elsewhere unless they restore the commission.

One thing that always throws up a big red flag for me, though, is when I see a program trying to figure out ways to not pay affiliates as much money. Once they start that junk, I'm moving on.
    Following everyone else is a GREAT way to become average.

I'm sorry but there is too much attitude there. Plus some wording that doesn't make sense to the people out here trying to carry their brand and also make a buck.

I'll improve their program early in 2005 by exiting.

just another company that doesn't realize . . . we really don't need them!

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    What Grumpy and Herb said. Add to that, the fact that their CR was lousy to begin with.

This is just the push I needed to put out the effort to find and rip the links of this dud, that I should have gotten completely rid of long ago!
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

Yeah, I'll dump them too. Just for the fact that the person running the program is clueless - and wants to demonstrate it. I love their wording:

"...we want to make sure the affiliate program is better then ever"

"We were simply paying too much" (to their affiliates)

"This brings us to the commission structure change..." oooh...

"...work out a commission that fits with the exposure you can guarantee us."

Fred

Makes me wish I was promoting them so I could drop them.

Why do so many people - affiliates and merchants fail at the first hurdle of communicating so badly with the people they want to do something for them - the trick is if you want sombody to do something for you, then you need to make it easy for them and make them want to.

ABW Ambassador
    There were features sorely lacking in their program to begin with compared to others, and there's sure enough others out there to choose from in that market. Over and out with them.

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    The clueless one might have meant to send the e-mail to their BHO affiliate partners. Sent it to the domain bound slaves by mistake. Don't be so mean, and jump to conclusions, just cause you can't afford one of those Lizzie outfits on a years worht of commissions. A followup e-mail might be sent offering active affiliates a 80% discount on all their personal purchases, so you too can be a Liz girl. Charlie likes to chew on their branded purses....yummmmy!
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

Actually they *were* paying higher than most competitors by almost double, BUT they should have just changed their commissions in general rather than saying it was to make their program better. I do understand from them that they will negotiate a higher commission for better placement, which sounds reasonable to me. BUT it is always a disappointment when companies drop commission rates, there is no doubt. I would much rather have a company lower comission to somewhere in the norm than to drop cookies to .001 return days, LOL! This is a good company, they were just way too generous to begin with.

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    quote:
    they were just way too generous to begin with.

No--The others in the category were too CHEAP! That's why I had picked Elisabeth *instead of* those other lamers!
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

You guys got an email saying their cutting your comission and Verizon DSL sent me an email telling me a way to increase the comission I make with them.

Hello,

I apologize if the notice came across harsh and unappreciative. There's really no good way to tell your partners that you are dropping their commission. Your hard work and promotion has not gone unrecognized. Let’s work together to build an even more successful program.

After evaluating the marketplace, Liz Claiborne has decided the future of their affiliate marketing program is to build stronger relationships and align themselves in a competitive way. The standard commission in 2005 is a benchmark, but we are more than willing to build beyond that for those partners willing to work with us to achieve our goals.

Let’s work together to figure how. Feel free to contact me or PM me.

Thank you,

Tracie Wexler
    Account Executive
    Affiliates@lizclaiborne.com & Affiliates@elisabeth.com
    Toll Free 1-866-373-9163 x4

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    LOL...Liz Claiborne sell a blouse for 59.95 that costs them at most 10.00. By the time their Adwhores get their hooks into pushing the brand on general public,to the tune of 300% in advertisement fees, you want us to think 6% for driving real sales is fair. Tell the apparel brokers at the trade marts in NYC, Altanta, Dallas, Chicago, Torento, LA to push your brand for 6%. Rightfully they'd string your collective butts up to the nearest tree. Those folks have no leakage or parasites outside the counterfeiters.
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

from what I've read lately, we're about to be (as a country) inundated with foreign-made soft goods this year.

Tracie,

I don't know why you didn't just use a tiered level of compensation to reward those affiliates that are producing a reasonable level of sales for you.

It would have been a lot easier than trying to work out special circumstances with each affiliate, and you wouldn't be alienating those that have promoted Elisabeth in the past quite as much.

Personally, while I am called or contacted practically every week, I rarely speak with Affiliate Managers, since it seems most are interested in prime site placement, but don't have a lot to offer in return. A few percent increase in commissions isn't worth it if the merchant isn't converting well enough to warrant prime placement in the first place.

I've done fairly well with Elisabeth.com, but you'll be seeing a lot less from me going forward.
    [B]A great secret of success is to go through life as a man who never gets used up.[/B]

Thanks Tracie! I will contact you off group after the holiday week.

quote:
    Originally posted by limey:
    Sorry to make this an example, but some merchants are just getting too comfortable with affiliates.

We all know the sum of all affiliate work is bringing your businesses to tremendous levels--This goes for everything from Amazon, Ebay, Travel Programs, to GSI's to Elisabeth friggin dot com. When I see incidences like this email, or another merchant dropping their commission to 3 cents or merchants supporting BHO laden programs, #%$% em. Yeh I got the email and at first I ignored it because I could care less about Elisabeth.com, however, its just coming to a head. Affiliates work their butts off for nickels and dimes mostly directing 30 day expiring traffic and building up your backlinks and building up your traffic base.

Your one program doesn't pay my bills, so its easy for me to drop you rather than you dropping me.

It thoroughly pisses me off to see things like this. Sorry to those offended.

Ex-Elisabeth affiliate and whichever other affiliate program pisses me off.

Why do you guys even want to do business with these merchant prostitutes...?

As soon as I saw that they do business with
    school pop and ebates ...
    I passed them by... Lord only knows who else they're in bed with...

I stopped checking after I found those two...
    but I'd be willing to bet that there are others...
    <Font size="1" color="99000">Never doubt anybody's word for anything... but... Always double check everything... - Grandpa</font>

Well whadaya know...

Just did a little checking and found out that in addition to
    school pop and ebates... they also do business with upromise ...

Think I'll do a little more checking tomorrow to see
    just how many 'Johns' miss Liz really has...
    <Font size="1" color="99000">Never doubt anybody's word for anything... but... Always double check everything... - Grandpa</font>

good shot.

23. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread