Outsourced Program Manager Chris -  AMWSO's Avatar
    Hi All

I was going over some of the "last referral URL" info in SAS today and noted a few that had an IP address as the referral URL.

Upon tracing the IP I found that it belongedto the Google Bot...

Now I had long assumed that Bots didn't/couldn't follow affiliate links...am I wrong, or is this something new, or am I just losing my marbles ?

Anyway assuming Google Bot is following SAS links, I wonder how many "clicks" it is generating and if Brian may be able to filter out this data as it could skew the data rather sharply.

Cheers

Chris
    Affiliate Marketing by AMWSO. Skype - chrissanderson ::: TEL 1-720-336-1784 ::: www.amwso.net
    Join our affiliate programs :Vaper Empire, Iolo, Art of Tea, or See ALL our Programs here

Hey Chris,

On a Google related note (a little off your topic), I see one of our affiliate link in it's SERP! The point is ... I don't know what the point is anymore. Must be getting late here. Sorry to hijack your post.

Cheers,

ABW Ambassador
    If you do redirects, google has no way of knowing what it is hitting, until it gets there. I do think it normally has some kind of logic that says - redirect X number of times on the same script page, then stop hitting it, but I have seen that go loco before.

Chet

So.. in that case if a site had 100 links to merchant X and the site got spidered, in theory the Google Bot could create 100 SAS Hits (Clicks)....

Correct me if I'm wrong here, I not a Google Bot Guru

I think you are right.
    Comments are opinion unless otherwise noted. Remember, pillage first. Then burn. Half of all people in the world have IQs under 100. You best learn to trust ol' SSanf!

Troll Killer and best Snooper!
    I decide when the pigs fly!
    I've heard from another SAS merchant that the hits recorded by SAS for my referrals are much greater than the hits his own tracking software records. I suspected that the difference could in part be attributed to bots that follow an affiliate link far enough to get tracked by SAS but not so far as to be recorded by the merchant. (Just a guess.)

In any case, I've been seeing a lot of hits in SAS lately that don't have a referring URL.

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    I always get way more hits at SAS before a sale happens than at other places. It's been that way ever since I signed up there (at least a couple of years).

I always figured that it was just that the merchants didn't convert! If SAS has been recording spider hits all along, they've done themselves a real disservice, because I've avoided doing more business with SAS due to the seemingly lousy CRs.
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

ABW Ambassador
    Winterpeg, the Mosquito Capital of Canada
    quote:
    I always figured that it was just that the merchants didn't convert! If SAS has been recording spider hits all along, they've done themselves a real disservice, because I've avoided doing more business with SAS due to the seemingly lousy CRs.

While not the only factor, is a portion of my reasoning also

May also explain such pathetic results for a few merchants there

Troll Killer and best Snooper!
    I decide when the pigs fly!
    Oh Chris, Happy Bill Bam Bonus Day to you too!

My overall average visitor stay is about two and a half minutes.....This might explain why many share-a-sale clicks show a stay of zero seconds.

Richard Lupu
    ARA Master Watchmaker & Sons
    www.masterwatchmaker.net

Looks like SAS figured out how to block the bots from the stats. My hits for SAS are way down this weekend, down to where I would expect them to be for the amount of sales I get. My overall traffic is up so I know that's not it. I knew it was odd when I would have 10 hits for the day on one program, then suddenly I would have 100 hits.

ABW Ambassador
    quote:
    Originally posted by Chez Noir:
    If you do redirects, google has no way of knowing what it is hitting, until it gets there.

Google would simply see the redirected destination in the header. It doesn't just get pushed to the redirect.

If you want Google to completely ignore redirects you can exclude the url for the redirects in your robots.txt file. For example, my redirects go through a page called lnk.php . I exclude that from my robots text.

I may be off the mark, but doesn't anybody ever check sas merchants offline?I am updating my sites, and find there are too damn offline,if they can't pay the dues, they don't belong as merchants,it takes too long to clcik each banner or text, and find the "link is not active", when my shoppers do this, they go elsewhere,any shop with out inventory or out of stock, will be an empty shop, so instead of bragging about how many affilites are members, why not let us know who is offline, like the other programs do, bad,bad,bad, More than my nickles worth.
    JJ

Brian, you out there Man? Any thoughts or input on this? It would seem, as said above, that if Bots are being counted that everyone on SAS should/could be seeing better stats than they
    are.... well we can all certainly hope so anyway

Rhea my pleasure...

Cheers

Chris
    Affiliate Marketing by AMWSO. Skype - chrissanderson ::: TEL 1-720-336-1784 ::: www.amwso.net
    Join our affiliate programs :Vaper Empire, Iolo, Art of Tea, or See ALL our Programs here

ShareASale President/CEO and ABW Veteran Brian - ShareASale's Avatar
    Sorry for the slow response on this one...

Both googlebot and msnbot along with several other smaller bots etc.. are all left out of hit counts. However, they will still show up, as Chris was seeing, in the last used agent field...
    Thanks,

Brian Littleton
    President/CEO - ShareASale.com, Inc.

16. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread