Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    I think you really need to look at the way you let merchants go offline. I recently checked some links on my site to several merchants from sharesale to find that all the links and banners were dead. I had no warning, no email no notification but instead I had to find this out for myself, I wonder what my users thought seeing all these dead links and thats very unprofessional in my opinion. If these merchants join up to your program and then find themselves out of cash and take all their links offline then the least they could do is notify the publishers that have been helping to promote their businesses.

Sharesale, you really need to have a good hard look at the way you handle this situation.

I completely agree with you but you might be barking up the wrong tree.

Shareasale should come up with a warning system but isn't it the merchant that lets their account run dry that is being unprofessional? Yeah a little mud is spread around on everyones faces but don't spend another minute with that merchant.

I agree that it is the merchants fault but it really is up to Sharesale to implement some sort of notification on offline merchants. I have a total of nearly 1,000 merchants on several websites and it's not always possible to check the status of individual merchants daily to see if they have kept their links updated or are still involved with the program. Linkshare, BeeFree & CJ all notify you by email if any merchants have decided to quit although I still find the odd merchant on these programs that have dead links as well. All I'm asking is for Sharesale who are meant to be managing the network to bring in some sort of notification service which I really don't think would be very hard to do at all.

No I wouldn't think it would be all that hard to do either. I guess they would just take the merchants list of affiliates and use it to notify and use the balance figure to set it off. Easy enough imo.

I just checked my merchants at shareasale.
    40 merchants-23 offline-9 low funds.
    That leaves 10.-25%.
    I might as well scrap them all. I don't have the time to keep deleting merchants.

ABW Ambassador
    Low funds doesn't mean the merchant is going to go offline - we're not all deadbeats y'know!

notify

no such word in SAS dictionary

not exclusive to event such as "a merchant change status"

I think I seen some post about if the merchants go offline you can set up something for the links you create to go to your homepage(redirect I think), someone can correct me if this is not true.

I am not sure about this because I haven't use it. But I know I seen such post. (maybe someone can!)

Edited to Add -
    All the merchants that I am associated from SAS is not a deadbeat and I get paid when I hit the threshold!

Sometimes you just have to take a chance of the merchants and if they are not satisfying to you or anyone just delete and replace I like doing that no wasting time, it don't work for me delete and try another! you'll find a good one and sometimes you get very lucky you'll find more than one!

What COC stand for? Crooks Overwriting Commission
    Don't worry tracking is Infected

Live life to the fullest, You only get 1 chance. Enjoy it while you can... Nothing last forever!

More Cheesier Than Ever Cheesehead's Avatar
    I think SAS is trying to prevent merchants from "using" affiliates to make sales, only to reverse the sale, not pay, or declare bankruptcy. Unfortunately, however, if we set up large amounts of links our sites look really bad with the dead links.

How about making merchants set up a reserve account for affiliate payment if funds are low? Perhaps this could be the "consequence" for merchants that go off line and leave their affiliates in limbo.
    This World is Not My Home
    We're gonna go inside, we're gonna go outside, inside and outside. . . And then we're gonna go go go and we're not gonna stop til we get across that goalline! Quotes from the movie Rudy, 1993

I think the issue here is that Shareasale needs to be more proactive in protecting the affiliates in its network when a merchant drops out.

Whether it be a default "Our apologies, the link you clicked is no longer valid. Click here to return to the page you were on" or something else, it would seem the very least Shareasale should do is notify all affiliates signed up for that program that it's now null.

To not notify affiliates just costs everyone money, and it seems it would be a fairly simple thing to do.

Andy

You can have dead links directed to a page of your own design. You can even make the page redirect to another one of your sites if you prefer. This is better than the way merchants can stiff you on other networks.

When those sales suddenly stop, I have noticed most merchants who were just negligent send in the money REAL FAST!

Unless automatic notification can be set up, I would like weekly notification of merchants that have become inactive in the last 30 days and notification of the ones who paid up.
    Comments are opinion unless otherwise noted. Remember, pillage first. Then burn. Half of all people in the world have IQs under 100. You best learn to trust ol' SSanf!

ABW Ambassador
    This is some more of what was talked about here:
    http://abw.infopop.cc/eve/ubb.x?q=Y&...=183106656&p=1

My problem is it doesn't inspire me to put up a bunch of SAS merchants when the other night i logged in and found 58% of them offline or low funds. Some listed as temp offline are actually permanently. Without notification at any moment my site visitors can be clicking links leading to nowhere. As far as the whole redirect thing:

"You can have dead links directed to a page of your own design. You can even make the page redirect to another one of your sites if you prefer."

I want my links i set up to a merchant go to that merchant not to another site or another page.

" This is better than the way merchants can stiff you on other networks."

Other networks notify you of deactivated merchants, invalid links etc.

SAS needs notification, get rid of all the merchants that are actually permanently offline, and maybe require them to have more money in their account so a low funds merchant can't become an offline merchant with a sale, that's happened before.

Now i have found some good ones in there and there are some nice tools, the pagemaker thing, and consolidated payments etc. Just think a little house cleaning is in order. Those merchants that are permanently offline or always seem to go temp offline, give them the boot, let them go elsewhere.

More Cheesier Than Ever Cheesehead's Avatar
    SSanf (or Brian), how can we have the dead links redirected in the SAS system?
    This World is Not My Home
    We're gonna go inside, we're gonna go outside, inside and outside. . . And then we're gonna go go go and we're not gonna stop til we get across that goalline! Quotes from the movie Rudy, 1993

redirect is not a solution,
    just better than none,

the visitor will still leave my site
    and use the SE to locate what he want,
    or go to the merchant directly

Being a merchant, W

Being a merchant - we are not all bad, also do you let the merhants know they have dead links. When you deal with a lot of datafeed and lots of banners not just affiliates but with other programs there will be dead links.

Let the merchant know and see if they fix the links - if not you have your answer on that merchant.

Thats my 2 cents.

Cheers,

Sharon

Affiliate Manager
    quote:
    Originally posted by sharon brit - Xnation.biz:
    Being a merchant - we are not all bad, also do you let the merhants know they have dead links. When you deal with a lot of datafeed and lots of banners not just affiliates but with other programs there will be dead links.

Let the merchant know and see if they fix the links - if not you have your answer on that merchant.

Thats my 2 cents.

Cheers,

Sharon

I also agree that a lot more merchants are really good and active about staying away from being offline. However, some changes obviously have to be made to the notification system.

From the affiliate point of view, when they have 50 to 100 merchants through various networks, you just cannot keep track and contact every merchants to make sure they haven't pulled out of their SAS program. Merchants pulling out of an affiliate network is not uncommon, but not notifying affiliates of the possibility a merchant is gone needs to be fixed. Even as an active merchant, it does not feel well surrounded by offline ones around that affiliates can't really figure out whom.

I would like to mention to the affiliates again that SAS network still offers many quality merchants, so don't lose hope!

I have to agree that the frustration factor is pretty high. I love SaS, but fixing this would be a big upgrade.

Brian - anything in motion?

ShareASale President/CEO and ABW Veteran Brian - ShareASale's Avatar
    Karl (and others...) - Yes we have some things in motion...but I still stand behind the fact that the redirect offers WAAAY more flexibility for affiliates in this matter than does a simple email.

If you see the thread that I just posted - the redirect option enables them to very simply email themselves about the offer being offline - with a very simple 4 or 5 line script or so...which I have even written out so that you can use it. On top of that - the redirect then offers you the traffic back to your site to give the affiliate the option to choose another merchant, product, offer, etc...etc...

A simple email would just be a notification. In the case where the offline status took place...say in the middle of the night... the email would really not be all that worthwhile... the option to redirect the traffic is.
    Thanks,

Brian Littleton
    President/CEO - ShareASale.com, Inc.

quote:
    May be a tough bill to fill, but it would be pretty neat if SAS could offer the affilate the option of either "Redirect this merchant's links from my site when their deposit is depleted" or "Give this merchant the benefit of the doubt and let them go into overdraft on my traffic"

Taken from another thread....

is this really what you would want???
    Thanks,

Brian Littleton

Thanks,

Brian Littleton

Why not give affiliates the choice? That seems like the best option. Redirect or let the merchant go negative, plus an optional affiliate alert. Plus, MOST IMPORTANTLY, you need to come down harder on the merchants. You might even want to offer an "auto-fill" option where they could automatically fund their accounts when they drop below a set level.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

quote:
    You might even want to offer an "auto-fill" option where they could automatically fund their accounts when they drop below a set level.

Michael,

We've had an auto-deposit feature for a long time, and many merchants take good advantage of it. The view merchant detail page should also show you which merchants are currently using auto-deposit.
    Thanks,

Brian Littleton

ABW Ambassador
    Why don't you just apply the boot to these merchants that are a drag on your network? There are some nice ones i've found but these temp offline merchants should go. Doesn't look good seeing 58% off mine either offline or low funds. Others have posted with the same experience. If they're really permanently offline just remove them from your network. If they are a merchant that go temp offline all the time, just boot them. Let them move on to Click Bank, Xchange, Galore etc. Not saying this to be mean but i think these merchants are just dragging you down, time to cut them off.

As far as the whole redirect thing, i don't want my site visitors clicking links going anywhere else except where i intended, the merchant. Doesn't reflect well on my site.

Domain Addict / Formerly known as elbowcreek Thomas A. Rice's Avatar
    I don't have the autofill on mine, but then I check multiple times a day on shareasale.com . Maybe autofill should be required, with the amount of refill the only option merchants can modify....... say, a minimum of $50 refill, just something to keep the merchant online.

Not necessarily Shareasale that should get dinged for being unprofessional - it's the merchants, afterall that allow the balance to drop - but shareasale could probably tighten the reins a little and this issue would go away.
    Following everyone else is a GREAT way to become average.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast