Hi All,

I signed up with Share-a-sale last week. I have been looking forward to getting some quality affiliates onboard with my program. The problem is so far I’ve only had some “freebie” sites sign up. Please, I apologize if I am offending anyone who runs these types of sites, it’s just not the type of site that I envisioned partnering and working with.

Your feedback and advice would be appreciated. Is this indicative of the types of affiliates at Share-a-sale? Should I be doing something different with my offer? Or, do I just need to give it some time?

Thanks in advance,

ShareASale President/CEO and ABW Veteran Brian - ShareASale's Avatar
    Rob,

Give it some time, and make sure to continue your own concentrated recruiting efforts.... signing up with a network is not a magic wand - running an affiliate program still requires a lot of work from the Affiliate Manager...
    Thanks,

Brian Littleton
    President/CEO - ShareASale.com, Inc.

Affiliate Manager
    Hi Rob,

We've signed up with SAS a couple weeks ago and have pretty good success. The kinds of sites ranges from "freebie", to comparisions, to contents, to many smaller personal sites. I'm not sure exactly what you have envisioning, but I think that many type of site idea will work given enough work put into it and getting enough traffic.

My experience is that there are some "full" and mostly "limited" affiliates. "Full" affiliates tends to respond more and get their work done quickly, and most of your results would come from them.

I think the key is to build your affiliate program slowly, and put up some nice statistics. Once you gain some trust and show some results, you'll be able to drawn in more affiliates.

You have taken a good step forward by advertising at Abestweb. Paying for an announcement here will not get immediate results, but you'll be sparking interest. I think affiliate programming could be very very rewarding, but you have to expect lots of hard work on your part and also patience.

Excellent advice, guys. This is exactly what I'm looking for.

Rob the biggest favor you could do yourself is to sit back and think for a moment about what you really expect the majority of affiliates to be like. I'll give you a clue. They aren't here at abestweb.

The average affiliate won't make a dime and gives up before any success. Your task is to turn those "average affiliates" into producers. All it takes is some direct contact, advice and encouragement. Send them on over here to abestweb. Get your own forum where you tell people how to send visitors that buy your products.

ABW Ambassador
    You might also want to look at your offers, your pages lack a directness or oomph, I would hesitate to link to any page on your site, in such a highly competitive niche. Affiliates want (at least some) a page to link to that is no folksy bs, just straight up here is the offer, here is the cost.

Having said that, your offers and prices are just not that competitive compared to someone buying a template elsewhere and going with a hosting company. When you say things like
    -Up to four informational web pages
    -One "contact" page with embedded e-mail form
    -Up to three e-mail addresses

For $80 a month?

That is "so 1998". People are becoming more sophisticated when it comes to hosting, even if they don't know what they hell they are doing, they do know one place tells them they can only have 4 pages, and the other says as many as they want.

Chet

I agree with what everyone here has said so far.

After looking at your site, it strikes me that your target is more B2B and soho. That frankly is a market that is a little tougher to get an average affiliate to deal with (oddly, most affiliates are soho operations).

Additionally, the $80./mo. cost does seem expensive on the surface. I have the feeling you may be delivering more value than many services out there - you'll have to really push the personal touch with your pitch to customers, and potential affiliates. Many 'do-it-yourselfers' are used to paying a lot less for hosting services. On the other hand, it sounds like you're offering a complete turn-key operation, including regular updates.

Don't despair, it can happen. Once you find some affiliates that are serious about your services, try your best to work closely with them.

Just my opinion...

Fred

quote:
    Originally posted by buy_online:
    I agree with what everyone here has said so far.

After looking at your site, it strikes me that your target is more B2B and soho. That frankly is a market that is a little tougher to get an average affiliate to deal with (oddly, most affiliates are soho operations).

Additionally, the $80./mo. cost does seem expensive on the surface. I have the feeling you may be delivering more value than many services out there - you'll have to really push the personal touch with your pitch to customers, and potential affiliates. Many 'do-it-yourselfers' are used to paying a lot less for hosting services. On the other hand, it sounds like you're offering a complete turn-key operation, including regular updates.

Don't despair, it can happen. Once you find some affiliates that are serious about your services, try your best to work closely with them.

Just my opinion...

Fred
    After wasting weeks deleting ads from some SAS merchant that went offline, I am wary about new merchants, I checked out the new stichin wave,they have a wide range, at a good price struture, and a make a page, because fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, sham on my, after so many CJ,Performics and Linkshare merchants either disappered or switched, and all the wasted time, findind the ads, and deleting them, on 4 websites, with 3 or 4 ads, none with the merchants name, we all are careful, my nickles worht, we have to eanr a few bucks to pay our expenses.
    JJ

"After wasting weeks deleting ads from some SAS merchant that went offline, I am wary about new merchants, I checked out the new stichin wave,they have a wide range, at a good price struture, and a make a page, because fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, sham on my, after so many CJ,Performics and Linkshare merchants either disappered or switched, and all the wasted time, findind the ads, and deleting them, on 4 websites, with 3 or 4 ads, none with the merchants name, we all are careful, my nickles worht, we have to eanr a few bucks to pay our expenses."

Jim I have to be honest, I am not sure what you are talking about here, were you responding to my post, or making a comment about shareasale, or something else?, I am really not sure, I don't know, I know we were talking about this gentleman's site, and how it might be something different than what he has posted,but of better value, but he didn't know the best way to do it, then suddenly you posted something about not trusting, apllying to stich&wave,and then CJ,performics, and Linkshare merchants, with 3 or 4 ads, and wasted time, I am glad you sound like you are being careful, and not being fooled, twice, you know I'm related to Mike, and you might be too,my two,cents, worth. BO

Buy Online

quote:
    Originally posted by buy_online:
    _"After wasting weeks deleting ads from some SAS merchant that went offline, I am wary about new merchants, I checked out the new stichin wave,they have a wide range, at a good price struture, and a make a page, because fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, sham on my, after so many CJ,Performics and Linkshare merchants either disappered or switched, and all the wasted time, findind the ads, and deleting them, on 4 websites, with 3 or 4 ads, none with the merchants name, we all are careful, my nickles worht, we have to eanr a few bucks to pay our expenses."_

Jim I have to be honest, I am not sure what you are talking about here, were you responding to my post, or making a comment about shareasale, or something else?, I am really not sure, I don't know, I know we were talking about this gentleman's site, and how it might be something different than what he has posted,but of better value, but he didn't know the best way to do it, then suddenly you posted something about not trusting, apllying to stich&wave,and then CJ,performics, and Linkshare merchants, with 3 or 4 ads, and wasted time, I am glad you sound like you are being careful, and not being fooled, twice, you know I'm related to Mike, and you might be too,my two,cents, worth. BO

Buy Online
    Sorry,I didn't mean it to be critical of affiliates, only about how merchants are either dropping out, or jumping like fleas from one program to another,I had office Max in Linkshare for over 2 years, and all of a sudden they are in Performics,when we have more than 1 site, and give a major merchant a lot of space in each site, and not usung their names, it takes a long time to delete and replace them, there have been a lot of SAS merchants out of funds, I know Linkshare used to charge $38,000 per year to become a merchant in that program, plus the cost of creating all their ads, but a little warning in advance would make it a lot easier, I picked some that had limited or what I felt were unusual products,or services, and they lasted less than 2 weeks, I felt not many affiliates would place "niche" type ads into there sites, but when we don't get any notice they dropped out, or where dropped, we are caring half a store,thinking those ads were up an running,I hope you don't feel this is directed at affiliates, only the programs they are in.I don't have any choice, I can't get a job, and this is the only way for me to try to earn a few dollars to pay bills,I know we are all in the same boat, I just want to try to stop mine from sinking,sorry,
    JJ

I think I'm sorry I asked this question! Just kidding. Some really good info here (even from Chez Noir).

Actually, since my original post the quality of the affiliates signing up for my program has improved. Perhaps I just needed to give it some time. I'm still a newbie at this whole affiliate process and got a little spooked for a moment.

I understand the frustration you guys must feel with all the "here today, gone tomorrow" companies. I, for one, am in it for the long haul and truly want to partner with some quality affiliates.

Thanks,

I think Jim is saying that he wants merchants who have some kind of a track record of stability before he puts a lot of work into their program.

He has a point. The longer you are in one place, not off line, etc., the more the established affiliates will take you seriously and give you a chance and the more you will either be "discovered" or come to the top of the to do list.

The is a business for the long haul. There is often a two month wait to get to the top of the to do list for busy affiliates.

You need to keep reminding them so you aren't forgotten or lost in the shuffle. Posting here on assorted subjects is a good way to let folks know you are still out there.
    Comments are opinion unless otherwise noted. Remember, pillage first. Then burn. Half of all people in the world have IQs under 100. You best learn to trust ol' SSanf!

13. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread