Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    ABW Ambassador
    We had a Nigerian try to get two orders through on the weekend, we don't even have Nigeria in the drop down menu so he filled in the Nigerian address (with Lagos, naturally) and chose Kenya from the drop down.

He clicked through an affiliate link so one of our affiliates got credited with over $50 for a fraudulant order of 20 polar bear t-shirts XL. Plus for the reversal of the first "test" transaction he obviously put through. Way to make our reversal rate look bad!

Outsourced Program Manager Chris -  AMWSO's Avatar
    Hi Samy

Welcome to the club .... usually we get a follow up email, saying how urgent the order is and can we rush it out for them.... ho ho ho... I wonder how many people fall for this...

Cheers

Chris
    Affiliate Marketing by AMWSO. Skype - chrissanderson ::: TEL 1-720-336-1784 ::: www.amwso.net
    Join our affiliate programs :Vaper Empire, Iolo, Art of Tea, or See ALL our Programs here

ABW Ambassador
    I tell everyone I know who is new to the net about the Nigerians - best to forewarn them.

I feel sorry for anyone in Nigeria who wants to actually place a real order online.

Just received a money order for ten watches from Nigeria! The bill was supposed to be $2600, but they sent me $5500....They told me to return the remainder of the money through Western Union in which the they will need in order for the shipment to clear customs! Yeah Right!

Real sophisticated stuff: The money order had the right number encoding and had watermarks on it.....here's the catcher.....They didn't sign it, so my personal bank manager couldn't do more with it when I showed him......So I emailed back and said I can't cash it because they didn't sign it...

They told me I needed to sign it because it would clear faster....Yeah right, I am going to sign a money order to myself! Absolute crooks!

It looked like fraud all along...They were emailing me for two months trying to get my trust for this deal.......

They even sent the money order registered mail. I just got it last week!

I'll take orders from anywhere, but it must go through my personal account manager...No way will we get conned....

Apparently Nigeria is the worst place in the world for online scams....If you want to see a scan of that money order let me know...I still got it!
    ARA Master Watchmaker & Sons
    www.masterwatchmaker.net

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    I had the displeasure of a Nigerian order coming through my CafePress shop.

When the "sale" email came for a big order of tons of items, first I thought "WOW!!!"

Then I wondered, who on Earth would order over $1k-worth of Western US shirts, photo CDs, cups, and mousepads...

When I looked in the CafePress account, the CC had already been denied, but there it was in the order info...shipping address Nigeria
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

Well If it makes you better, I got a $8000 fraud order to Nigeria though one of my merchants several months ago. Wow that would of been a nice commission if it was real.

ABW Ambassador
    I get Nigerian orders through cafepress all the time - you'd think they'd at least ATTEMPT to filter them out!

I can't believe how active these Nigerians are when it comes to fraud!

Affiliate Manager
    I also seem to get quite a few fraudulent orders from Nigerians. It is particularly bad when they come through affiliates. It makes it seem that our reversal rate is much higher than it really is.

We are installing an IP blocking filter this week. Hopefully this will take care of the problem.

Melissa C. Murphy
    CrazyForBargains.com - Fun Sleepwear for the Whole Family
    SAS Parasite free | 10% commission | data feed | coupon codes
    Join Now and Make More during Holiday Bonus Program!

Since we're chipping in with our favorite Nigerian story. We run a B&M operation in Los Angeles and have had trucks drive up with cashier check/money order to pick up Nigerian orders.

With all seriousness, if you want to block whole countries from your server, try

http://ip.ludost.net/

Nothing is exact, but this is close and updated.

Tuan.

quote:
    Originally posted by TLE:
    Since we're chipping in with our favorite Nigerian story. We run a B&M operation in Los Angeles and have had trucks drive up with cashier check/money order to pick up Nigerian orders.

With all seriousness, if you want to block whole countries from your server, try

http://ip.ludost.net/

Nothing is exact, but this is close and updated.

Tuan.

thanks for that link, I've been asking about block an entire country or countries from my store and had to resort to adding their domains one at a time, well here is my current list:

order allow,deny
    deny from 193.220.26.0
    deny from 193.220.26.
    deny from 81.192.
    deny from 81.192.20.
    deny from 202.51.234.
    deny from 202.53.224.
    deny from 202.53.245.20
    deny from 202.159.115.
    deny from 202.159.116.
    deny from 202.155.25.
    deny from 216.139.180.
    deny from 213.42.2.
    allow from all

I believe they're mostly nigirian and indonesia but check them before using them.

so far I have zero fraud orders since I started adding these ips 2 month ago.

a little more info: some of the "Nigerians" are operating out of coffee shops with internet service in England and other countries.

people should be reminded that cashiers checks can be cashed but the banks come after you when they don't clear.

the deal with the checks is they overpay you then ask you to refund the overpayment to an address elsewhere. right after that you get a call from the bank.

quote:
    Originally posted by Watchmaker:
    I'll take orders from anywhere, but it must go through my personal account manager...No way will we get conned....

You should not accept any orders from Nigeria under any circumstance, even certified cashiers checks. I remember reading a post on Webmaster World, where somebody received a certified check from Nigeria for something, they deposited the check, the bank said it was good so the person shipped the goods, a week later the bank came back and said sorry that check was bad and they deducted the funds from the persons account. Be safe, don't ship under any circumstance!

quote:
    You should not accept any orders from Nigeria under any circumstance, even certified cashiers checks. I remember reading a post on Webmaster World, where somebody received a certified check from Nigeria for something, they deposited the check, the bank said it was good so the person shipped the goods, a week later the bank came back and said sorry that check was bad and they deducted the funds from the persons account. Be safe, don't ship under any circumstance!

Thanks for the advice, but I have a personal account manager that would put the order through collections.....It goes through many mediums before it would be cashed...He assured me that once it clears through them, it has undergone the strictest of measures and the money is verified good.....

That being said, going through that process with orders from Nigeria and Indonesia is a waste of time.
    www.masterwatchmaker.net

ABW Ambassador
    Request a Wire transfer, no fraud possible, if the money came in, is yours.
    Fer(nando) - US & EU Marketing

quote:
    Originally posted by Fer:

Thats also a good idea, but make sure you open a second bank account for this purpose, keep no funds in this account and just use this account for incoming wire transfers.

quote:
    Originally posted by JJJay:
    quote:
    Originally posted by Fer:

Thats also a good idea, but make sure you open a second bank account for this purpose, keep no funds in this account and just use this account for incoming wire transfers.

Even that is not good. The main reason they want the bank numbers is to funnel money. All they will do is deposit money from another fake account and make an inflated balance so they can withdraw the money to another fake account. In the end you will be stuck owing the money.

There is no safe way to trust your bank numbers that I have found. The best thing to do is not allow purchases this way.

http and a telephoto
    I finally feel like part of the club, I had on email inquiry today and one inquiry come in through a site contact form, asking about sales to Nigeria, with a credit card of course. And requesting urgent reply AND indicating that the reply alone indicates I *will* agree to all their terms and conditions of sale, which are of course NOT outlined in this brief email.

LOL, went in the trash bin, unanswered. I have heard that some folks answer and have had these people get very rude and insistent and even threatening, once you start a conversation with them.

Not me, not now!!!
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

quote:
    LOL, went in the trash bin, unanswered. I have heard that some folks answer and have had these people get very rude and insistent and even threatening, once you start a conversation with them.

The best place for any email that has the word "URGENT" is in the trash. I don't consider anything to be urgent. I can't prove it, but I think they're selling your address if you reply. I used to get these daily until I stopped responding. Most are from US or UK locations wanting shipping terms to Nigeria, Indonesia and China. Today one of them inquired about shipping to a US address, a P.O. box
    !.
    ~Ernie

A few months ago I had an affilite contact me about a $5,000 dollar order through them and could we supply the goods. - I said we do not fill any orders going to nigeria, kenya, indonesia, tawian. They always almost turn out to be fraud and it wastes my time and the affiliates to go through the hassle.

Just say NO!

Cheers,

sharon

Internet Cowboy
    I want buy your product. Your site is best internet site ever.
    I live New York but am ship to my brother in Lagos so I give my card credit information.
    You ship fast next day.

------Oky doky bud, we'll get right on that!!

Hey need a ? Then check out http://www.nigerian419fraud.freeserve.co.uk. The guy who runs this site specializes in stringing the Nigerians along for a while and posts all the e-mails here. Great laughs!

For a more serious (and yet still light-hearted) site on financial fraud in general check out http://www.quatloos.com

2 good sites and I have nothing to do with them!

That site is awesome! I think I just may string a few along for the fun of it!
    www.masterwatchmaker.net

ABW Ambassador
    Wow, I ordered and got a $2000 sound system a few days ago, specially suited for 220v here in Argentina, they required wire transfer and not my US bank credit card. but finally got it, I don't think a Nigerian may have the same luck...
    Fer(nando) - US & EU Marketing

Hi Samy,

I sent you a PM.
    IRS
    Don't ask why the ball doesn't come.

I wanted to go to the 3rd Annual Nigerian E-Mail Conference last year but it was sold out. http://www.j-walk.com/other/conf/

OK, I couldn't resist.

We have been lucky to avoid these orders at our store, but at one point we sold a lot on eBay and it drove me nuts how many people would bid and win and then disclose some garbage about once I receive the check I should contact them immediately and they will tell me where to ship the (insert whatever was auctioned)...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast