Up until a week ago, My stats looked quite impressive. Sales haven't slowed down, but one affiliate decided to advertise my site in a read-an-email money advertisement. That affiliate sent me 5000 visitors without a purchase. I believe it works like a pop-up because I can tell 99% of those visitors aren't even on my site for more than a second.

I appreciate this affiliate's efforts, but I am hoping they realize soon that this approach just doesn't bring in any sales...Some might say I should pull the plug on this affiliate, but you never know, they may find an approach sooner or later that works.

Has this happened to any of you other merchants? I know alot of affiliates look at those stats and sign up based on them...

Your opinions are always welcome!

Cheers,
    Richard Lupu
    ARA Master Watchmaker & Sons
    www.masterwatchmaker.net

ShareASale President/CEO and ABW Veteran Brian - ShareASale's Avatar
    In general, in this situation I usually recommend to the merchant that they either have the affiliate stop this traffic channel, or de-activate the relationship.
    Thanks,

Brian Littleton
    President/CEO - ShareASale.com, Inc.

Thanks Brian. I will contact this affiliate. After checking my stats, I realizeI overstated it by quite a bit. I guessed when I said that affiliate sent me 5000, but it was actually 2000. But still, 2000 visitors without a sale really brought my stats down.

Brian I will send you a PM.

Cheers,
    Richard Lupu
    www.masterwatchmaker.net

ShareASale President/CEO and ABW Veteran Brian - ShareASale's Avatar
    Richard,

The actual volume number isn't that important, it is the type of traffic that they send you. In this case, if you see it as incentivized popup traffic, it will probably never work for you.

If it were targetted towards your products (2000 clicks) then you would want to look at your own site and conversions, etc... but that is not the case here.
    Thanks,

Brian Littleton
    President/CEO - ShareASale.com, Inc.

Hi Brian,

Couldn't agree with you more. In fact that's what I thought I was saying in the first place!

Cheers,
    Richard Lupu
    www.masterwatchmaker.net

Affiliate Manager
    Hi, yeah I've stated about this kinds of thing happening a few times. Recently, there was one that I didn't check till a day later and it already drove our EPC to the ground.

Our first mass traffic/no conversion affiliate had auto-linked pop-up to our affiliate link. It popped up on every single link on the page. It got about 1000 clicks before I noticed, since I had pop-up blocker on. I myself probably got a nice amount since I was investigate the site for having so many clicks on the first day.

The most recent affiliate, it was a really busy day, and I didn't noticed it by the next day. By then, it already drove our EPC from $70~$80 to $30. Right now, I've tried to send them a few message asking if we can take a look at his links. I tried looking at the link they listed as their site, but I've found most affiliate either have many sites and don't put it on their main site. I couldn't find the link, so he is temporarily deactivate/pending approvaled till I hear back.

Internet Cowboy
    Gentlemen,
    Maybe Brian should step in here.
    This sounds like a classic case of cookie stuffing to me. If the popup goes to your site, it sets the cookie without a click.
    If you want SAS to end up like LS or CJ, keep allowing affiliates to do this.
    SAS has a special place in the market right now and publishers are leaving CJ and LS in droves to go to SAS because of its good reputation and because it is known that this kind of activity does not take place.
    Want to keep a good base of honest affiliates happy? Drop someone who does this IMMEDIATELY. Call them and ask them to stop and you are then among the ranks of LS and CJ and your affiliates will in turn drop you like a bad habit.
    It is your business. You make the decisions. These are only suggestions and predictions.

Hi Scohaz,

Actually this affiliate wasn't doing pop-ups. They were advertising via a read-a-mail campaigne......I believe readers join these programs to get paid for looking at advertisers site. The thing is these visitors I believe just have to click on the link to qualify for the few pennies they may earn. They have no intention of being a customer, but rather looking to earn money through reading these advertisements.

I did contact the affiliate and asked them to stop sending me this kind of traffic because it was more destructive than productive. Although they never responded, I stopped getting the huge amounts of traffic from them. If it were to continue, I would definitely pull the plug on them.
    www.masterwatchmaker.net

ABW Ambassador
    I appreciate advertisers who confront and drop affiliates playing this type of game. For that matter, I like that the EPC figure is an incentive to cut out negative ad techniques like popups and parasites.

Merchants should never allow their affiliate programs to be pulled up in popups or iframes. If an affiliate really believes in the power op popups they should load the popup using an ad designed for popups that loads an impression but does not award a click or cookie unless the end user actually clicks on something in the pop up.

Good job...thanks.

quote:
    EPC Stats aren't always indicative

I believe the title says it all: it's not all about EPC but the final result.

Too bad this time it turns out the bad way for you but affiliates and merchants shouldn't focus on only EPC. I read nothing about exposure, follow-up sales etc.
    2,000 mails without direct result doesn't sound good but shouldn't rule out incentive campaigns completely because it also comes down on targeting.
    Maybe there is a way to exclude the EPC stats of PTR-like sites from the usual traffic.

11. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread