ABW Ambassador
    Winterpeg, the Mosquito Capital of Canada
    Another merchant looking out for its program and changing pages and products in the middle of the XMAS buying season

Check your product links, just got a mail they changed them.
    I now have red x's all over my pages

Wish I could say what I really think when merchants do this now

My best way to fight back is just put someone else up in their place

ABW Ambassador
    I totally understand! I'll be making changes to our site but not until the new year - am not messing with ANYTHING this side of Christmas.

I honestly wonder if merchants do this on purpose during the holiday season hoping that potential customers will be driven away from affiliate sites and search until they find the actual merchant site instead. Good way to skip paying commissions if it works.

This seems to happen every year.
    Comments are opinion unless otherwise noted. Remember, pillage first. Then burn. Half of all people in the world have IQs under 100. You best learn to trust ol' SSanf!

ABW Ambassador
    I just think they AREN'T thinking.

Am not sure why anyone would risk losing traffic at this time of year.

Wondered that myself, seems to happen too often to be a coincidence. I understand wanting to spruce things up for the holidays but not keeping your affiliates in the loop doesn't seem like good business practice.
    Greg Rice Affiliate Program Management
    www.gocmc.com info(AT)gocmc.com | 330-259-1223

Join us! - MiNeeds.com | DiscountCandleShop/CheeseSupply | Feng Shui Plaza

ABW Ambassador
    I'll spruce up next year when no one will notice LOL

It would be a good plan if affiliates have achieved positions 1, 2, 4, ,6 and they are for instance position 5 for a lot of terms. Then, they would only be competing with 3 and that may be about something entirely different such as the history of the product. Good way to get an effective position 1 as far as possible sales.

I think it is on purpose to cut out the affiliate.

Recommend dropping any merchant if they have done this more than one time during the holidays. The second time is no accident and has nothing to do with the learning curve unless they accidentally learned that they got more non-affiliate sales the first time.
    Comments are opinion unless otherwise noted. Remember, pillage first. Then burn. Half of all people in the world have IQs under 100. You best learn to trust ol' SSanf!

ABW Ambassador
    I sent then am e mail voicing my displeasure.
    Coversions wern't good with them when the links were good
    Since there is new info in their products trying SAS make a page is all goofy, and doesn't pull up results the way I hoped.
    So since I had to hand code the links for good measures I just replaced them with another merchant

For a quick fix, if your pages are set up so you can do it, use search and replace to drop a competitors banner smack in the middle of the page with a big CLICK HERE! and < br > their broken products well down below the fold in the page until you can fix that page.

So they'd know it's not just sour grapes from one affiliate WW ... I sent 'em a letter too!

I've simply suggested they might visit the forum and see what is being discussed.

I believe - for what it's worth - that if a few of us do this with those merchants who do offer decent products and most likely do take their affiliate business seriously, there's a chance for them to redeem themselves. Yes?

Got a response from the Cheese'nWine folks folks to my suggestion that a forum response might be in order ?

It reads:

Thank you for your email...

We are always concerned with what are affiliates have to say... a response to all affiliates will be forthcoming.

ABW Ambassador
    quote:
    a response to all affiliates will be forthcoming.

HUH?
    Sort of an odd response
    Just come in and post already.
    Or are they getting the spin doctors to make it sound like it was all for the best

OK Looks like my message to them didn't get through cos i suggested they put an explanation (response) here and that may have been overlooked.
    But I got an explanation - which you WWW may not have received, because you opted out - didn't you?

For other ex? affiliates and interested forum members - this is their message to me.
    BTW I haven't had any clicks on their link yet but it's simply been tucked away awaiting the outcome of this discussion : )

Dear CK

It has come to our attention a few of our affiliates are not pleased with the release our new Web site so close to the holiday season...

Our goal was to announce our new Web site and product offering in August, but because of a death in our family we were unable to do so. Since Cheese and Wine is never satified if an affiliate or customer is dissatisfied, we felt compelled to reply.

We have already receive dozens and dozens of emails congratulating us on our enhanced product offering and web site. From day one, it has been our intention to provide our affiliates and customers a web site that offers a multitude of gifts, in all price ranges presented in a navigation- friendly fashion.

We have done our best to facilitate the transition of product codes from our previous product line to our current offering. If you are experiencing any difficulty please log into your Shareasale account and submit a datafeed request. If you opt to change your codes manually, all of the new product codes are in place.

We are always available to help our affiliates in every way we can. We encourage you to contact us by phone 888.685.4438(GIFT) or email info@cheeseandwine.com

Thank you for your understanding and support!
    Stewart Becker
    Cheese and Wine Unlimited...and More!

Seems a respectable enough explanation to the OzPianoman.

ABW Ambassador
    I never opted out, got the email, still not pleased.

Not enough of a reason to redo pages with their links all over again though.
    Sure site looks good, more products and everything.
    Maybe just more stuff that doesn't convert same as before

Fair enough -
    but I'll give them a good try on my site for a month, compare their results and post the outcome here for others to observe.

16. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread