The affiliate formerly known as ojmoo
    As you guys know, my sites sell gifts, cows, horses and dogs. I spend 8-9 months of the year setting up for this time of the year. I get all the products up, all the link exchange done. New ideas are put into effect and then at this time of the year to sit back and collect the money.

But today, an other dog gift site joined SAS. This makes 3, you guys should know which, 2 of them post here occasionally. So now what do I have to do, I have to take this new site collect all of its products. Put each product on a new separate page in my template. This should take a few days. Then I have to wait for the search engines to scan by site and find the new pages and put them in the search gines, this will take 3 to 5 weeks. By the time it is all set up the xmas buying season will be over.

Why do merchants wait until its too late to put up an affiliate program. I could have made a bunch of sales if they would have started it before the fall, but now its too late.

I am wondering if I should bother putting up the links at all or waiting under january. January is when I personally am very busy. That is the time, I remove all my product links and rebuild them with new product links. This is the only way I know that all the discontinued items are removed and all the new products are added.

I suppose this is a rhetorical post so I suppose no one needs to respond, but you can if you like :-)

Mike

ABW Ambassador
    Winterpeg, the Mosquito Capital of Canada
    Makes as much sense as the ones who change their site and links to a new design at this time of the year

quote:
    Why do merchants wait until its too late to put up an affiliate program. I could have made a bunch of sales if they would have started it before the fall, but now its too late.

Just a guess, but maybe they weren't ready to put up their affiliate program until now?

I think a beter explaination might be that they have poop for brains.
    Comments are opinion unless otherwise noted. Remember, pillage first. Then burn. Half of all people in the world have IQs under 100. You best learn to trust ol' SSanf!

I like traffic lights
    Southern hemisphere - away from Fukushima
    You're guessing on the 3-5 weeks for the SE bit aren't you?

Maybe 1 or 2 SE's will index your pages sooner, making that 3 days of wrok worthwhile?

If you haven't got the time, don't do it. But if you have, what are you waiting for?

Ditto as Drewbert said.

if you have the time then do it. At least you would stand a chance. Its better to do something and see the result rather than not doing it all and wondering about the out come.
    <DT>[size=1][color=navy]"The best measure of a man's honesty isn't his income tax return.[/color][/size]<DT>[size=1][color=navy]It's the zero adjust on his bathroom scale." Arthur C. Clark[/color][/size]</DT>

http and a telephoto
    Thanks for the heads up, I'll go log in and see who they are. I have been successful in the past couple of weeks with new sites being spidered the day after they go live. And that is a NEW url. Currently spidered sites are getting spidered daily.

I agree that changing things for current merchants now is a really bad idea, and starting a totally new site is tough, but I am still adding pages/links and getting hits to them in 24 hours.

Of course, google could update tomorrow and all my SE traffic could go *poof*, but I wanted to point out that adding pages to existing sites is still working! The idea that anything I do today is a waste is not an idea I can accept!!! LOL.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

The affiliate formerly known as ojmoo
    Loxly, shucks I forgot about u, maybe I shouldn't have given you the heads up on a new dog themed site.

Yeah I know I am adding the pages as fast as I can, it takes me about about 45 seconds to add a product. I'll only add the products I don't have from another merchant, sites like this tend to have the same items.

No regardins search engines. I have 12,000 product pages and 175 menu pages that links to them. If google visits my site everyday (as it does) and indexes about 1000 pages a day that means it'll reindex my whole old site in 12 days, but that is how google will figure out I have new pages. Then to index them, that'll take another 12 days. So thow is how I get 3 weeks. Not if my site only had 100 pages, it would take considerably less time.

Now I have to put on my pages faster to get in b4 loxly.

Mike

http and a telephoto
    Don't worry, I think there are enough shoppers for both of us

And I have other niches converting right now that I am adding pages to, so might not get to them anyway.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

10. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread