come early january Google is going to be putting out new rules governing ppc. The rules are aimed at ppc direct linking.

It looks like google will limit direct linking to one or two affiliates per keyword.

I don't know whether google will actively prune out others or on what criteria the pruning would occur--if it occured.

Google may just prohibit new submissions. That's generally how they handle betting sites in 2004. But I've heard no confirmation on that.

Where did you read this?
    "Every mans life touches so many others"
    - Clarence

ABW Ambassador
    It will happen but I have not heard the specifics yet.

ABW SOURCE

quote:
    Originally posted by chittychittybangbang:
    come early january Google is going to be putting out new rules governing ppc. The rules are aimed at ppc direct linking.

It looks like google will limit direct linking to one or two affiliates per keyword.

I don't know whether google will actively prune out others or on what criteria the pruning would occur--if it occured.

Google may just prohibit new submissions. That's generally how they handle betting sites in 2004. But I've heard no confirmation on that.

A bit vague today arent we?

they have already of sorts started to enforce this....

I have had one heck of a time getting PPC going with adwords... because they (google) require (aff) or (affiliate) if the link is not a direct link.

the aff or affiliate marking, is the kiss of death...

I have run several join campaigns... on with a direct link and the other as an affiliate marked link.

the affiliate marked links are not getting very many clicks and more importantly no sales...

so I'm dropppin all aff or affiliate marked links from PPC.

One more thing I've noticed... they (google) are checking ALL ads for compliance... including redirects... so expect that (redirects) to be the next big issue... I've dropped all redirects as well.

Joe
    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    that's my2cents, 'cuz I'm a legend in my own mind....

It looks like somewhere around the 7-8 of January Google will drop off all the direct links but the top bid. The policy will be only one ppc per landing page.

I've been learning about this at search engine watch
    http://forums.searchenginewatch.com/...8951#post28951

One more thing I've noticed... they (google) are checking ALL ads for compliance... including redirects... so expect that (redirects) to be the next big issue... I've dropped all redirects as well.
    //////////////////
    I just learned about this. I 've got a big scramble to do. I used redirects over at overture for awhile until they caught on to what I was doing. They stopped me from submitting new redirects but they left the old ones on. So I'm thinking if I'm proactive with the redirects at google I can buy a little more time--than the current 10 days.

I had an ad pulled this AM for non-compliance that has run since April with no problems. So, I will agree that they are working on something. I am jusat unsure as to what.

ABW Ambassador
    It's amazing the only people who actually know and aren't supposed to say anything, are and posting in various forums

actually there's forums around where the signal to noise level is much higher than abestweb

ABW Ambassador
    Actually, I could never figure out why people use redirects. When I search for something and I see 10 ads with the same merchant site listed, it is a real turnoff for me, almost like spam. I would think that most people would prefer to advertise their own site.

ABW Ambassador
    I'm going to try something.

I know somebody at Google or i know a friend who knows somebody at Google who says they're going to raise the minimum to 10 cents a bid. And since i know somebody at Google or somebody who knows somebody who gave them some info that nobody is supposed to know, i've posted it on a message board and other people have picked it up and posted it on other message boards so it must be true. Spread the word, the minimum is going up to 10 cents a bid on January 15.

http://www.imediaconnection.com/content/4831.asp

New Year’s Affiliate Resolutions
    Wednesday, December 22, 2004
    By Shawn Collins, Shawn Collins Consulting

PPC Affiliates Are So Yesterday

“The affiliate marketing world will be turned upside down and increase its role in many companies in 2005," says Chelsey Langan, Affiliate Manager, HomeGain.com, Inc. "The first force I foresee is the impending change to Google and the increase of SEO. Once Google makes the change to the policy of affiliate keyword bidding, the effect to the affiliate marketing community will be huge.

"Many large PPC affiliates make their living (and so do the merchants they promote) by driving traffic directly to a merchant's site, rather than through their own.

"I expect to see all affiliate programs take a dip in traffic and revenue for the first few months after the change. This will be corrected once those affiliates who weren't proactive build a landing page to run the traffic through.

14. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread