I was reading this thread about CJ and everyone seemed pretty down on it, but the posts just ended in August for no apparent reason.

Now I see this whole forum for CJ and I see that they appear to be heavily endorsed on the ABW front page, and the posts I have read by this guy Todd from CJ are nothing more than corporate double-speak. Is the consensus that CJ is good or bad for affiliates?

http and a telephoto
    Depends on what you are selling. Many people do well with them and others not so much. <<shrug>>

Good affiliates choose merchants to work with, network makes no difference.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

IMO CJ is the best network to work with. They'v got merchants that convert, the payouts tend to be very good, the payout are on time, reliable, they have direct deposit and consolidated payments, support is very good. If you pick one network to work with, pick CJ. Some independent merchants have better and more lucrative programs but overall CJ is a great starting point and more.

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    CJ = for the reasons Superstar said.

As for Todd Crawford, ignore his bad spin. Doesn't it make you cringe though?! Fortunately, the good points of CJ don't seem to be affected by the lack of a PR firm.
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

Action Jackson - King of the World
    quote:
    Originally posted by loxly:
    Depends on what you are selling. Many people do well with them and others not so much. <<shrug>>

Loxley stated the truth just beautifully

quote:
    Originally posted by loxly:
    Actually, I would say that the network makes "very little difference" rather than "no difference".

CJ has many factors that make them very affiliate-friendly. They provide network-wide EPC statistics for their merchants. They require most merchants to maintain an escrow account. They offer consolidated payments and direct deposit. Most of their merchants report in real-time (which means that affiliates see those sales in 15-120 minutes once CJ processes the real-time reporting logs). Todd is extremely helpful here.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Thanks for the replies, however, if your comments are so glowing, what's with the thread I quoted that has almost 200 posts that are vehemently against CJ? Also what happened to the guy who replied to my question who said CJ called him a liar?

ABW Ambassador
    You can pick any network and get the same kind of stuff. Just focus on good merchants regardless of what network they're on, indy, whatever. If they convert for you and pay, that's it.

That post got so many replies because it was about parasites. That's definitely a hot topic here. Many people have very strong opinions about that.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Internet Cowboy
    Tod,
    Many people here are very much concerned about the direction the affiliate marketing industry has taken over the course of the past few years.
    We are all very passionate about our work and work very hard to make things better for our bottom line as well as making our sites better for our visitors-these two things go hand in hand.
    Some issues raised on this board evoke a VERY passionate response from many of us, and rightfully so. Does this mean that we hate CJ and will no longer do business with them? No. Some might take this stance, but anyone who has been at this long enough to know the score knows that overall, day in and day out CJ is a valuable tool for us to make a living.
    This does not mean that we sometimes don't disagree with CJ's policies and ways of thinking, but we must realize that just as we use CJ as a tool, CJ uses us and others as tools. This is a reciprocal relationship and we must all maintain a balance for it to work for us all.
    I have been a loudly vocal critic of CJ at times, but I have never gotten to the point of dumping them and moving on because I know this would not be in my best interest.
    Fortunately, we have ABW to use to voice these concerns among ourselves as well as to the CJ staffers (Todd Crawford) who visit this board. This allows us to vent and to maybe even make some progress in getting the policies that concern us changed to our liking. This has happened in recent months in at least one thing that I remember.

Just remember this, for everyone you see here *****ing and complaining, there are several that are just making pages and making money. For every topic or policy that leads to a ***** session, there are several positive aspects to the CJ program.

Overall, even with some of their ridiculous (IMO) ways of doing business, CJ is a tool that you can use to make some decent money on the web if you are smart enough and dedicated enough to do it.
    The parasitic merchants are easy to find out. You can usually find a comparable merchant (often times a much better one) that doesn't partner with sleezeballs. This will allow you to avoid the largest, most heated issue that we all have with CJ.

Happy New Year to everyone!!

Scott

Thank you Scott, that makes it clear that CJ is the tool and the merchant is the one you have to be mindful of.

In a recent poll, affiliates strongly prefer CJ over Linkshare.

I know I'll open up a big can of worms with this, but just because a merchant works with parasites doesn't mean you won't do well with them. It's a big factor, but not the biggest one. I would rather work with a merchant that has parasites, converts at 5%, and pays 10% commissions than a merchant that doesn't work with parasites, converts at 2%, and pays 5% commissions. (Of course I would rather work with a merchant that doesn't work with parasites, converts at 5%, and pays 10% commissions.)
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com

quote:
    Originally posted by TrustNo1®:
    You can pick any network and get the same kind of stuff. Just focus on good merchants regardless of what network they're on, indy, whatever. If they convert for you and pay, that's it.

Trusty:

There you go again, using simple logic instead of trying to start a flame war.

PPC works well... It all converts

ABW Ambassador
    CJ is the best.

easy login (no code), easy link creation, more responsive to affiliates (compared to LS of course), one check payment, and more.

i think the area where CJ needs to improve is the custom url redirection. LS is much superior on this one.

also, they should encourage the merchants to have (at least) one text link for each of their store categories, so custom link-making will be less.

16. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread