Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    ShareASale President/CEO and ABW Veteran Brian - ShareASale's Avatar
    For those of you who use datafeeds, and who may use them in the future... just wanted to put together a quick list of important information that could be helpful.

1. Datafeed information is uploaded by the merchant - to shareasale.com. We screen as much of the info as possible, however it is common for an occasional image or link to be uploaded incorrectly - you should test the datafeed links that you use as much as possible to help find any errors. Of course, any error - if reported to us, will be corrected as best we can.

2. We can only control the datafeeds that are hosted and uploaded to our site. There are several external sources that are hosting datafeeds for Shareasale.com merchants - and some merchants that host their own. These 3rd party providers provide a good service - however, we cannot gaurantee the linking will be correct in terms of tracking... here is how to test.

• In any link you use, make sure that your Shareasale.com userID shows up somewhere. This should be either in the form of U=xxxx or userID=xxxx where the xxxx is your affiliate ID.
    • Click the link - if it goes all the way to the merchant's site (at the correct product) ... the link should be good. If it is incorrectly coded, i.e., with an invalid userid, productid, etc... the link will not go through - and you will see a "Link is not Active" page...[/list]

3. Downloading Datafeeds:

Currently there are 3 options for downloading feeds from the actual Shareasale.com site.

• 1 - is to download the .csv, through http: web service (not ftp) from the website. You can click on the link at the top of your account which says "Datafeeds Available", and see a list of feeds divided by merchant. Also, if you search by category or keyword, the system will let you download a .csv from your respective search.
      • If you have a Premier Affiliate account - you can use our real-time .xml system to query the product database and produce real time results on your pages. (Note: for those that are "real time" saavy, but not .xml saavy, there is a .csv option on this as well which is much more clumsy than the .xml, but maybe easier to understand.)
      • If you are approved for individual FTP access to a merchant's feed. You can download them using the FTP Protocol. See your account for details.[/list]

4. If anyone ever has any difficulty downloading a specific datafeed, please contact shareasale@shareasale.com and include your userID and merchant that you would like to promote, and we will send you a data file.

Is that it? there are probably other questions that I have gotten about Datafeeds in general, but this should be a good start and I will try to add to this thread in the future as other questions come in.

Thanks,

-Brian Littleton
        -Owner/Operator Shareasale.com
        brian@shareasale.com
    Thanks,

Brian Littleton
    President/CEO - ShareASale.com, Inc.

I have a question about the feeds. When I create a single product to add and send out a newsletter to my affiliates stating that I have a new special they generally ask where in the feed the item is. Since I do not have an affiliate login I dont see how it works. Are affiliates able to search my product feed by title at least? If not this would be great to add. I have 1500 products in my database and asking someone to just look page after page is really burdensome and unnecessary.

http and a telephoto
    If you have 1500 products then your feed is in 2 parts. First part would have 1000 products and second would have 500 records. So it isn't pages and pages. It's just page 1 and page 2. And no, we can't search the datafeed until it is downloaded to our own computer.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

so as an affiliate do you think it would be easier if the feeds were searchable at the site? So that an aff could link to one product if they so choose? Just wondering what you think as an affiate.

http and a telephoto
    Not at all, I use all the links in a datafeed, or sort it to use the ones I want. I don't need or want to search it on the network.
    Deborah Carney

Brian,

Would you mind if I posted this information at my website, for those with feeds from your Merchants?

Fred

http and a telephoto
    labrocca,

If I may suggest, I think you should create an affiliate account so you can see the tools that you are making available to your affiliates... We do have the ability to link directly to products not using the datafeed.

As a merchant it would be very good if you were more aquainted with the tools YOU are making available to your affiliates

Just my opinion of course.
    Deborah Carney

RE: searching... go to "Get Product Linking Code" there is a search box there... you can find any individual product.
    Thanks,

Brian Littleton

Fred,

It might be better if you posted links to this thread... as the info changes from time to time and we'll be able to keep it as fresh as possible.

For example, the thing about the FTP is changing... as we are in development for an FTP tool for affiliates to use in order to download the datafeeds.
    Thanks,

Brian Littleton

http and a telephoto
    Cool! So the feeds won't be divided up every 1000 products any longer?

I will be happy to see this!
    Deborah Carney

ABW Ambassador
    That would be a great improvement, Brian. Automating my ftp-retrieved feeds is next on my list. I didn't think I would ever be able to automate the SAS feeds.

Wayne

I think I am just gonna create a local rss-xml feed at my site.
    I did at one point create an aff account and looked around but I wasnt all that happy with most of what I saw. I have forgotten my login and which email address I used...(ie I am lazy).

FTP access is now available. You will need to be approved for FTP access by each merchant...
    Thanks,

Brian Littleton

Thats good news Brian, am I correct in asuming the 1000 product limit will be lifted now then?
    One day parasites and their ilk will be made illegal, I bet a few Lawyers will be pissed off when the day comes.
    Mr. Spitzer is fetching it nearer

YouTrek

Yes - when downloading via ftp there will be no 1000 prod. limit.
    Thanks,

Brian Littleton

http and a telephoto
    I haven't logged in yet, is there an easy way to ask for ftp access from the merchants? Or do we have to email or use the contact form for each one separately?

EDIT: I logged in and see where we have to contact the merchants, but all the merchants I am approved for do not show up on the Account Summary Page, is there a second page that I am not seeing?
    Deborah Carney

http and a telephoto
    BTW Brian, hope you had a fun productive time in Vegas! I would have liked to have had the opportunity to talk to you.

Back to topic, I have contacted some of my merchants and they seem to be unaware of the new feature, have they been told about it?
    Deborah Carney

hmm...as a merchant, I don't recall getting an email about it. I learned about this new feature from the forums and the admin panel after you login.

--------------
    Randy Carey, Affiliate Manager
    http://www.shareasale.com/shareasale...erchantID=5302
    http://shop.norcrossmarine.com
    16% | non-expiring cookies | datafeeds | anti-parasite

The announcement is located in two places on the admin panel when you login as a merchant.... we have not emailed our merchant base with this.
    Thanks,

Brian Littleton

whoa! Brian this is a major Great upgrade.
    Kudos to you for listening to affiliates.

thanks.

Thanks T.N.T.... i hope it will really help affiliates and merchants as well... much easier to get the feeds that way.

we love affiliate and merchant ideas/suggestions - so keep em' coming.
    Thanks,

Brian Littleton

Thanks Brian Littleton

Nice info.

ABW Ambassador
    Yo Brian,

Maybe this is something you can or cant control but, I apply to a merchant am approved and then ask for approval on the datafeed, and get it.

I don't recall getting a "you're approved for datafeed access email". I log in and see that it's been added. - OK cool, I download the datafeed and there is no column info in the first line and the merchant failed to provide me with any approved email that says - here are the columns in the feed (yada yada). Arrrgh, ok back to loking around merchants site or data to find column info. Arrrgh!

Is there a way you can either dynamically add a column header to the feeds (uggh oh some people will not want to adjust there processing to consider this) or make sure email acceptance letters to the feed have the column information provided? If you can, it sure would be nice!

Perhaps there is something I missed somewhere that sheds light on this but I sure missed it if it is.

Thanks for your consideration.

Image and Thumbnail sizes?

I am redoing our datafeed to have multiple image sizes, my question is what are the prefered sizes?

Main Image - Should I do the fullsized image regardless of size or should I make it the 200x200 that CJ.com recomends?

Thumbnail Image - Size recomendations?

"Custom Fields" - I can use the custom fields to add other thumbnail sizes, is the a need for this and if so what size should I do?

i like to see thumbnails and large images in data feeds

i like the thumbnails to be 100x100
    200x200 or 250x250 for large
    dave

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast