I know it's a frequent complaint, but I thought I would chime in again.

A signed up at SAS last year. None of the merchants were compelling enough that I put up any links. Two looked moderately relevant to some of my sites, so I signed up with the intention of adding them later.

A few minutes ago, I signed in and checked for merchants in another vertical area. Bingo! I found one that was a good match. I signed up. Automatic approval! I was ready to promote this merchant as soon as they got a datafeed. I checked my Merchant Status Report...

ALL THREE MERCHANTS (the new one and the two old ones) are "Temporarily Offline"!!! Argh...

Something really needs to be done about Temporarily Offline merchants. Here's what I suggest:

1) When they go offline, send them an automatic email letting them know that they're offline, suggesting automatic deposits to stay online, and letting them know that they need to fund their account ASAP.

2) If they don't go back online within a week, REMOVE THEM FROM THE SITE. Don't give them free promotion. If an affiliate searches for merchants, you shouldn't be showing these merchants who might never be back online.

3) If they go offline again, remove them right away instead of waiting a week.

4) I'm not sure if you continue to track sales for "Temporarily Offline" merchants. If not, you should.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

This may be one reason I just can't seem to find an merchant at Shareasale that works for me. I recently put up test banners on my highest converting pages for one merchant from Shareasale on a site of mine that sold pretty much the same product as the CJ merchant the site was built around. My Dec 2004 stats for this site: CJ merchant almost 300 sales Shareasale merchant 0 sales. When I login to Shareasale this merchant would be Online one day, Temporarily Offline the next. Much the same as most of the merchants I use at Shareasale.

The number one fix...

mandatory automatic deposit
    Scott
    If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, then baffle them with bulls#!t
    Don't tell me that you'll do it... SHOW ME.
    Just because everyone else is drinking it is no reason for me to drink the KOOL-AID.

Internet Cowboy
    When SAS decides that they want to really grow and compete, they will do this.
    Until then they will continue to be a haven for new programs.

They don't seem to be interested in mandatory auto deposit. That is a dead horse that has been beaten here many times before.

I wish I made more money on SAS, but I'll be damned if I will spend a week working on a site for a merchant who is apt to go offline at any given time.

It always comes down to the fact that fraud can take too much room on the merchant's credit card. I can almost understand this, but not really since it can be reversed so quickly.

-edited for spelling

Internet Cowboy
    quote:
    I'm not sure if you continue to track sales for "Temporarily Offline" merchants. If not, you should.

No. The shopper gets a page saying that the link is unavailable. Makes your site look bad, on TOP of losing sales.

quote:
    Originally posted by scohaz:
    quote:
    I'm not sure if you continue to track sales for "Temporarily Offline" merchants. If not, you should.

No. The shopper gets a page saying that the link is unavailable. Makes your site look bad, on TOP of losing sales.

Yes, it is really annoying if merchant is temporarly offline and then later on back online but showing low funds. That means they will be offline soon again.
    <a href="http://www.freemobilefun.net">Free cell phone wallpapers</a>
    <a href="http://www.allmyringtones.com">Cell phone ringtones</a>

Action Jackson - King of the World
    I applied to a merchant today and put a link up. For the life of me I couldn't figure out why the like didn't work. By God, they were temporarily offline. I shouldn't have even been able to sign up for them!

1) There is an option in one's profile to have a default page for when a merchant goes offline. The page must be on one of your sites, and you only have one page, but it's like a custom 404. Use it.

2) I don't mind that I can find temporarily offline merchants if indeed they are temporarily offline. I found one yesterday that has a 7 day EPC, so I'm hoping come Monday morning they'll re-cash the account. It's the long term, months on end offline merchants I don't feel like seeing. And I'd love it if the offline status was visible when searching for new merchants/products. I've now made it a habit to immediately check merchant status after signing up, but I'd rather know before signing up.

3)I do believe that auto-deposit is one of the items in a merchant's profile. An affiliate can choose to work only with those merchants who have taken that step.

As to merchants who go offline every other day - bye-bye. I had one of those, and got tired of the take it down, put it up game I was playing with the link. It's up to the affiliate with which merchants to do business. That merchant doesn't get another chance on my sites.
    Video Marketing Success eBook -- co-written by webmarm

9. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread