I would like to know how long it would really take for a merchant to look at a new affiliate application before they accept or decline that affiliate application.

I know that there are over 1000 merchants on CJ. and I know that when any CJ. member (me included) decides to join a merchant for one reason or another, even if that merchant is an old CJ. merchant, a new CJ. merchant or a CJ. merchant that we find somewhere else, doing a promotion at any other place other than on CJ. and after we finally decide to give that merchant a try, we find out that merchant have a clause on their program that say something like this: (This advertiser approves publishers manually. Your application status will be set to "Pending Application" and the advertiser will contact you if approved. )

Ok, I will not have a problem with this: (This advertiser approves publishers manually. )

But, I will and I am having a problem with this: (Your application status will be set to "Pending Application" and the advertiser will contact you if approved. )

Why???????????????

First: While I would like to see all the merchants to manually approve all publishers and there for, avoid the crooks, parasites and all the not too beneficial affiliates to their program, but I know that it will be almost imposible to manually approve all publishers if they have to many new people apply to their program on any given week.

But, what I don't understand is how can a merchant (new or old) decide to do a new promotion of their program in order to get new affiliates and then, have the new applicants in limbo for more than 10 days before looking at those new applicants and approve them or not or at least reply saying that they have seen the application and that they will let us know the outcome in less than 72 hrs.

To me, this business is a 24/7 thing and if you're on this business to make money, you should be aware of what is going on with and on your site 24/7/365. That don't meant that you personally have to be online checking it out but, at least having someone else in charge of doing that and be able to let you know what's going on with your online business on a regular basics and on a timely fashion, even if you're halve way around the world on your 11 months a year vacation.

There is nothing worse in my book than to get excited about a merchant that you find anywhere and made plans to make a new page, directory or web site about that merchant and after you have applied to that merchant for one reason or another, find out that a week later that merchant have not seen your application and responded to it one way or the other.

And even worse, I hate the way that CJ have those [Status Pending Application] listed there for a long time and that we're not able to go that merchant details page and say something like this: Thanks but, no thanks. and be able to at least dis-apply to that merchant at that time.

While I have read around here that the merchants on CJ don't have to much info about the affiliates that apply to their programs, I believe that all the merchants on CJ that have a new CJ member apply for their program will have to provide that merchant with the publishers web site at least, so I don't see how can a merchant be able to say that they can't find out more info about that new applicant, to me that's a lame excuse.

Sal.

Anyway, life is to short to worry about the details..... Next.

I'm getting really iritated with this also. I have some merchants that I've applied for and it is still on pending application. One was for Oct. 3rd.

You can bet if this one ever approved me I'm not using it.

I just hope these sites don't do this to their customers orders.

the longer they take to approve me, the longer I take to make use of them. Sometimes I apply because I have no idea what they are offering for tools, etc.

Internet Cowboy
    I have two on my list that are from Spring of this year...lol.
    I have selected others and moved on since then.
    A deselect option would be nice just for those of us who are funny about keeping everything up to date and in order.

ABW Ambassador
    There have been several cases where merchants had either forgotten or not been aware that they had to manually review and approve affiliate applications.

Contact the merchant by phone or through the contact info on their own website.

forgotten or unaware can equal clueless, also

http and a telephoto
    Yeah, it would be nice if CJ would even cancel pending apps after 60 days so you can reapply if you so choose. I would rather be declined than sit pending for over a year!
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

It's not just CJ. I've had one pending application on Shareasale for about 7 months now.

-John.
    There's a reason army's wear uniforms even though it makes them easier to spot. Sometimes that's what you want. Uniforms suggest organization, power, and numbers. These, in turn, inspire fear. And, as any good operative knows, there is no more effective weapon than fear.

Hosting Comparison - HostScope - jrrl.com

Same here, I have 3 applications pending with CJ for over a month now.
    <DT>[size=1][color=navy]"The best measure of a man's honesty isn't his income tax return.[/color][/size]<DT>[size=1][color=navy]It's the zero adjust on his bathroom scale." Arthur C. Clark[/color][/size]</DT>

I had a major irritation with a merchant who approached me to join them. I didn't know they had a programme and joined - then I was rejected because I didn't have a privacy policy - so I got one and reapplied. Then I was rejected again, so I emailed asking why, then I was directed to a page of standard "guess which one applies to you".

I gave up at this point, it seems not worth the effort to get through their corporate/real world filter. It was the New York Times store.

Hi Paul,

Re: The New York Times - I got rejected from them also, and I'm pretty sure it's because my registered country is 'United Kingdom'. Not much you can do when advertisers are as short-sighted and borderline protectionists as that! Just move along onto more worthwhile endevours.

Thanks spudgun, I suspected as much. It just really got me that THEY approached me, not the other way round, then having made me jump through hoops, decided to reject me because THEY didn't bother to do their job properly.

I have had three applications pending for over six months and two applications pending for almost a year....

Now I don't care if the company is sitting on their thumbs.. if they do not do their job I move on.. I wouldn't put any of these sites links up NOW if they approved me... if they do not pay attention to their end.. then I don't want them..

I JUST WISH THERE WAS A WAY TO DELETE THEM FROM MY PENDING APPLICATIONS - SO I WOULD NOT HAVE TO LOOK AT THEM ANYMORE...

It would also be nice to be able to ONLY recieve e-mails from the merchants you are approved for.. not ALL merchants..
    I see the MERCHANT list I know that they are there.. AND I don't want to promote them / or don't have a NICHE they fit in.. If they have to e-mail ME and BEG.. I don't want them anyway.. it's SPAM I tell you ....

HAPPY NEW YEAR!... Here's To 2005!

Hi SuZee,

As a merchant, I'm afraid I have to disagree with you... the merchant list is HUGE and there are so many offers in there that might make perfect sense for you (at least that's the hope), but you may not have noticed.

CJ should allow for two-way communication so that you can contact a merchant if you want information or to join a program, and a merchant should be able to contact you if they think you might be interested in the product line they carry.

( On that end, I also have the same issue with pending offers... either accept them or reject them already!!! )

I'm sure it can get overwhelming, the same way any e-commerce site is overwhelmed with offers from companies about their "unique and wonderful.... (fill in the blank with product, advertising venue, etc.). But it's all part of the job, and every once in a while, one comes across the desk that we didn't know about and that works perfectly for us.

JMHO

Paul

Troll Killer and best Snooper!
    I decide when the pigs fly!
    When a merchant leaves me sitting in their pending queue for a long time I tend to assume that they're not very focused on working with affiliates.

Since I can't drop them (c'mon CJ fix this) I just have to wait for them to eventually get around to approving or declining me. But I can tell you one thing for sure. If it takes a merchant more than a month to make that decision, and if they approve me, I'm going to drop them immediately. I don't care to work with a program that has such a casual attitude toward their AM program.

Are you listening QVC? (I thought not.)

Outsourced Program Manager e-Gazer's Avatar
    Hi everyone and a happy New Year!

Ok, Ok... I know what you're thinking... Another merchant coming in to blow smoke - well, you know I had to show up eventually, right?

While I am actually in full support of a timely turnaround on all AM-related activities, in our defense, I must say the following.

While we (AM's) may be very much focused on working with our Affiliates, some of us are a one-man-band so to speak.

While I don't make any excuses for those who leave Affiliates in pending status for months on end (it doesn't make much sense to me really and I completely understand how that would drive an eager Affiliate bonkers), I must admit that sometimes even I have to push pending apps to the back burner for a short time in order to focus on tending to my existing Affiliates and the events at hand. This, at times, may be vital to keeping the business afloat, and to maximize current program potential as best possible.

In an ideal world we'd all look like Octopuses and have 8 arms and really big heads (I can do without the big head but the 6 extra arms would be nice) - but unfortunately it just doesn't work that way.

We have to be sure we are attending to new applications regularly as well as building better tools and resources for those of you already in our programs. We must spend time performing reports analysis, writing communication out, policing traffic, clickthrus, fraud, the spammers, investigating for spyware, and anything else that comes along with being an AM on a regular basis (including lots of curveballs).

I personally, love what I do for a living and I'm very dedicated to the success of all our Affiliate partners - pending apps or not.

Having said all that, I hope you can all better understand that being an AM is more than surfing the web for popups and approving pending applications and it all takes a lot of dedicated time. While all those activities are very important, the fact of the matter remains that we are only one person in many cases. Having limited resources shouldn't have to mean we're not doing all that we can to be the best AM's we can, to support you in partnership and in seeing you all to success.

I agree Paul - CJ should allow pending applicants to contact us with messages should the need arise. It would help for those who want to get a push on the application process and at least we'd know the Affiliate is actually serious about working with us if they went to the extent to message us about it.

On that note, I wish all the best to you and yours - let's all have a grand 2005!

ABW Ambassador
    Personally, I wish the affiliate application process had a box where we could attach a note with the application to state how we intend to promote the merchant.

Personally, I think the best way to approve affiliates would be a modified version of auto approve. The merchant would auto approve affiliates. There would then be an automatic affiliate review when the affiliate hits a set level of inbound clicks.

Outsourced Program Manager e-Gazer's Avatar
    The current Affiliate Application process does leave a lot to be desired - I agree. I also agree that a modified auto-approve process would be great in place of the current manual process, which involves a lot of lengthy investigation and takes up a lot of precious time. As it stands an "application" is nothing more than an Affiliate clicking a button to let us know he or she wants to join our program but doesn't tell us much about who we're giving rights to if we actually approve them.

An online sales force is an important component of today's business and these online Affiliate partnerships, like any other, have to be aligned just right, in order to work effectively.

The more info we get about the Affiliate the faster we can make a decision about whether or not that person/business model is a good fit for our product/brand/program.

CJ - take notes!! This is good feedback!

It would be less time consuming if the TOS don't have grey area and enforced it and if not followed the commission earned not paid to that affiliate that broke the rules that way the merchants will be able to set the application in Auto Mode and will be less work and timed consumed to police their affiliate and concentrate more on marketing their products.

When there's no more grey area then we all have more time to market all the merchants with a ease of mind that we are all getting paid to our efforts!

What COC stand for? Crooks Overwriting Commission
    Don't worry tracking is Infected

Live life to the fullest, You only get 1 chance. Enjoy it while you can... Nothing last forever!

20. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread