Like the topic?

I have a quick questions. I have a MS SQL Database included with my hosting account that I really want to put to use. The problem is that I don't have a clue where to really start. I am familiar with MS Access though.

My question is this... I want to make a searchable database of all of my merchant partners and all of their products with affiliate links. Could someone point me in the right direction? Any books I should read? Any sites I should visit?

Thanks in advance,

Core

ABW Ambassador
    This was me last week.

CRAP... I just wrote a huge big response to this & then realised you wanted MSSQL, not MySQL..stupid me.
    so a lot of it was not relevant (telnet, etc)

1 Question though..
    How are you going to get the merchants products?
    Some merchants will not allow you to crawl their site & add it to your database (see T&C's)

see this post HERE & see what you think.

What I am leaning towards are product categories. Most merchants don't have product specific links.

Example: If someone types in credit card I would like all of my credit card merchants to be displayed in the results.

ABW Ambassador
    Sit down & work out on paper before you rush into creating tables etc.
    I found this out the hard way last week.

I would maybe create a table which has the merchant details, the links & a primary & secondary category.

EG.
    Merchant name: A BIG WHOPPIN' BANK
    LINK: www.link
    DESC: we are the biggest whoppin' bank ever
    PRIM_CAT: Credit cards
    Secondary Category: Merchant Services

That way a search for merchant services, you could put the merchants that have this as the primary first, then follow it with the secondary ones next.
    Or you could put the ones with the highest commissions at the top of the list.

Work out what sort of info you want to display & what will be needed (eg links etc), and design the tables to suit.

Look for some tutorials on MSSQL. I found great tutorials for MySQL last week (http://www.mysql.com .. who woulda thought?), and go through them.. best way to learn

PS MY 100th POST!!!

Hey Core,

I would pretend that you know how to write the code so I won't get into that. The search is a pretty simple thing actually. I'll tell you what I've done. Just include a "keywords" field for every merchant you've got. Then call up that field from the code and search ONLY in that field. Of course you have to put related keywords in that field.

Pretty simple, huh!? [img]tongue.gif[/img]

One other thing.... I don't know how many visitors you've got, but I've seen an Access database work fine with 5000-6000 visitors per day. So you don't need MS SQL. Of course it is the best database there is cause it has no limits, but it is also pretty expensive. Access will do the work just fine. It has a limit of 256 simultaneous connections, but when did you have 256 people make a request at the same moment!?! I think you have to have milions of visitors for this to be true. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

Whose hosting has MS SQL support?
    The easier way to use MS SQL is using ASP (I have samples of those) or Cold Fushion.
    For MS SQL, you have to setup the ODBC connection in the Web Server.

Here is the connection string for MS SQL Server:
    <pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">strConnString = "driver={SQL Server};server=SERVER_NAME;uid=SQL_USER;pwd=PASSWORD;database=DATABASE_NAME"</pre>
    Please note: You have to adapt it to your own needs.This is an ADO (or ASP as some would say) connection string. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

[ 12-06-2001: Message edited by: AlexBet ]

8. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread