I don't even know what I need to learn.

-If I want a searchable database that can be searched by about 4 or 5 different specifications on a particular item.
    -If I want the non-web savvy merchant to enter and delete from the database.
    -If I want to interface the search results with a shopping cart.

I'll start surfing around, but all tips and pointers to really good tutorial material is appreciated. I'm feeling a bit overwhelmed with the prospect, and would rather feel like this is an opportunity to expand my skills in directions I've wanted to anyway. I just had it on the back burner and now the kettle seems to be picking up steam.

Thanks all.

ABW Ambassador
    um, are you programming all this yourself?

if yes & on a unix system, I would recommend php (http://www.php.net), and mysql (http://www.mysql.com/doc , then a tutorial is at chapter 3 http://www.mysql.com/doc/T/u/Tutorial.html )

been a life-saver for me the last few weeks after I got my new server

Webmistress,

If you want to learn ASP, then I would suggest you start at:
    http://www.asp101.com

There are some great tutorials under RESOURCES/TUTORIALS there. You can also check out their webring, a lot of great sites there too. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

Thanks guys, I'm strictly a Unix kind of girl.

I can look to see if my host is asp-enabled, but I recall one host I worked with for a client replied that anything done in ASP can be done more cheaply (from their point of view), and more securely (for everyone concerned).

I'm assuming I won't necessarily program the shopping cart.

Pete, I seem to recall running into a site where the designer had set up a password protected page for the site "owner" to change things from a simple HTML form on the page. I sort of thought "oh, that's cool", but never even filed it away in bookmarks or my brain properly. Now I don't recall whether it was just changing HTML content on certain pages, or whether it was for the database.

Dang, brain just doesn't have as good a recall as it used to. I'd blame it on the wild youth, but I can't remember that far back.

Okay, what are the differences in using Perl vs php with MySQL?

Thanks.

Hello,

We used php with MySQL to build our site and found it pretty easy to learn and extremely easy to maintain. We picked up a book called MySql/PHP Database Applications by Jay Greenspan and Brad Bulger. After reading this book we pretty much were able to accompish anything we wanted to to with what we had just read.

I use ASP with MS Access database and it works just fine.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>anything done in ASP can be done more cheaply (from their point of view), and more securely (for everyone concerned).
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    Hmmmmm, I could not tell you that cause there are people here that are very sensitive about those issues. But, I think that ASP and VBScript are much easier to learn than any other web programming languges. Perl for example is much harder than VBscript, and CGI is much harder than ASP. I don't know about PHP cause I've never seen the code.

ABW Ambassador
    I'm not getting into the MS/UNIX debate here, because I have never used MS to host a website.

Perl is complicated to learn. I have never used it to interface with a MySQL database, but what I have done was difficult enough.

PHP is great. I wish I had discovered it before I went and learned perl.
    PHP allows you to drop in and out of HTML in the script.
    This is a big bonus over PERL, where you have to echo all output. (can be very annoying & time consuming)
    PHP is fairly simple to learn, with an online manual at www.php.net . There is documentation, along with user comments and tutorials.
    PHP also has commands built in to access your MySQL database.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>PHP also has commands built in to access your MySQL database.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    Well, that sounds like a Good Thing. Truth is, that in glancing at the tutorials, php looks pretty comprehendable. PERL looks like GeekGreek to me. Nil C in my background, unfortunately. I have a slight allergy to programming that I only try to get over for internet work/fun.

Sorry if I opened the *nix/MS can of worms. I just personally have only experience on *nix systems. My comment had to do with a Linux admin responding to my question about being ASP enabled since a client wanted an ASP discussion board. I don't even find javascript "easy", personally.

But I'll give the php and MySQL the ole' college try. If it gets too hard...I'll hire out!!! ahahahahhahahaa.

10. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread