hi all

[EDIT]
    irrelevent comment
    [/EDIT]

what are good uses for cgi and php?

[ 01-05-2002: Message edited by: psychomantis ]

Hi ya psychomantis,

Not really sure what you mean?
    Your host has offered you cgi and php access for an additional $2 per year?

Most host I know off included these in their hosting packages without additional cost.

Unless you are ready to use cgi or php I'd say thanks but no thanks if you are really strapped for cash... as in time they may just include it anyway. In the same token for $2 per year it may be nice just to have it available.
    ~ geezeee now I am even confused with this reply ~

Sorry, probably not much of a positive and focused response, but I was surprised a hosting company charges extra for cgi and php. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Oh dear, in all my confusion I overlooked to answer your original question...

CGI and PHP are scripts used for web site automation and web site interactive features such as this Forum, shopping carts, guestbooks, rotating banner ads, FFA link indices, and also to automatically administer mundane and repetitive web server tasks.

[ 01-05-2002: Message edited by: webby ]

Assume you mean hosting and if so not a good deal well not something you care about if you aren't already using scripts on your site.

If you want free cgi access you can signup wiht www.netfirms.com and they give you a cgi bin for free.

You could use your regular host (where your site is now) and call scripts from netfirms for free.

Then again what's two bucks?

wow, my $2 comment really clouded things

what i really wanted to know is if anyone can think of any unusual uses for php and cgi

i have a couple of ideas, one is setting up a ppc engine like oversure but just for affiliate sites

somthing i really want to do is create a search function for my site that will give my own pages prominence in the results and provide additional results from dmoz or a search engine, is this possible?

bump

i want to create a search function for my site that will give my own pages prominence in the results and provide additional results from dmoz or a search engine, is this possible?

ABW Ambassador
    Have you tried looking in hotscripts.com or cgi-resources.com There are plenty of search scripts so I'm sure you'll find something. If not, there is a links program from gossamer-threads that can be modified to fit your needs. You can add your links into it, and give your pages a higher rating to show up at the top....

Tom Pyles

The whole reason I PHP'd my sites is because I needed a powerful program to search my site ChicagoPlumbingCode.com. I had tried freedfind.com and some cgi scripts but nothing compared to PHP.

Reasons for PHP

<UL TYPE=SQUARE><LI>search tool
    <LI>automation
    <LI>hides your email address
    <LI>interactivity[/list]

I could go on and on and on and on and on...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>i want to create a search function for my site that will give my own pages prominence in the results and provide additional results from dmoz or a search engine, is this possible?

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Easily

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>You could use your regular host (where your site is now) and call scripts from netfirms for free.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hayder, can you please explain the philosopher how to do that???

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>You could use your regular host (where your site is now) and call scripts from netfirms for free.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Instead of pointing to your cgi bin like this
    "a href="www.yoursite.com/cgibin/search.pl" you would do this
    " a href="http://netfirms/philosopher/cgibin/search.pl"

...i think

ABW Ambassador
    Almost every free host I've come across will not allow running of scripts from their cgi-bin from external sites.
    The method you have shown to do it should work if it is allowed at this host.

13. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread